infrared41's Who am I? Super Bowl Trivia for the old school crowd.

infrared41

Landry coached in five Super Bowls (off the top of my head? Erm. I think they were V, VI, X, XI, and XIII) and won two of them (VI and XI).

Dallas beat Denver in SB XII. Oakland beat Minnesota in XI.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red, can you elaborate on the fifteen SB appearances?

It was sort of a trick question. By "played for" I simply meant Dallas head coaches during Aikman's Cowboys career. I thought Landry was still the head coach of the Cowboys when Aikman was drafted so I counted him. That added 5 super bowls to the total. I also counted Campo and Gailey's SB appearances as asst. coaches.

In any case, the botched clue didn't seem to hurt in figuring out who the player was. You guys were all "it's gotta be Aikman, but..." B)

BB52Big.jpg

Round VII - to make up for the botched Aikman clue, I'm going to make this one really easy. It was done once before so were using the honor system here - no looking it up.

I. An actress.

II. A small city in Ohio near where infrared41 lives.

III. A city in England

IV. A plumbing company.

V. I'm not the one who was homeless for a while. I'm the other one.

Who am I?

BB52Big.jpg

If you insist, sir.

Ray Mansfield

Just like last time, Brian in Boston gets the win. B) I'm a little surprised no one else took a shot at it. Maybe that one isn't as easy as I thought it was.

I. Jayne Mansfield.

II. Mansfield, Ohio.

III. There is also a Mansfield in England.

IV. Mansfield Plumbing - maker of fine toilets.

V. Ray Mansfield played center for the Steelers first two Super Bowl teams. Mike Webster was the Steelers center who was homeless for a time.

pittsburgh-steelers-1974-super-bowl-ringpittsburgh-steelers-1975-super-bowl-ring

ray-mansfield-terry-bradshaw-001299112.j

BB52Big.jpg

If you gave the clue of Olivia, it would have been a dead

giveaway (pardon the pun).

I'm probably going to regret this...

Care to explain?

I would guess it's a Law and Order SVU reference. Olivia is played by Mariska Hargitay, daughter of Jayne Mansfield.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

(Sorry about the delay - my real life got in the way and kept me from the really important stuff like "Who Am I? B) )

Round VII

I. I set a single game record in college. In fact, I was the only person to do this for my team that day. Today, I get paid to talk about my college team.

II. I was drafted twice - the first time, I was drafted in a round that no longer exists.

III. I played for 3 NFL teams. Each of those teams has appeared in a Super Bowl at some point.

III. I played in 3 straight NFL Conference title games. One of them was the first ever conference title game for one of my teams.

IV. In the Super Bowl, I surprised people by doing something that most people figured would have been more likely to come from my more celebrated team mate.

V. I played in two Super Bowls.

Who am I?

BB52Big.jpg

You are Howard Griffith.

I'll admit - you got me (and I assume I'm not the only one) with the "drafted twice" thing. Of course I thought of AFL/NFL drafts first...

Howard Griffith is who I was looking for.

I. Griffith set an NCAA record with 8 TDs in a game for Illinois in 1990 against Southern Illinois. Final score Illinois 56 S. Illinois 7 making Griffith the only player on his team to score a TD in that game. Griffith is now an analyst for the Big Ten Network.

II. He was drafted by the Colts in the 9th round of the 1991 NFL Draft - the NFL Draft now ends after 7 rounds. He was drafted again by the Panthers in the 1995 expansion draft.

III. Griffith played for the Rams, Panthers, and Broncos.

IV. Griiffith played in the 1996 NFC title game with the Panthers and the 1997 and 1998 AFC title games with the Broncos.

V. He scored two TDs in Super Bowl XXXIII against the Falcons - since Griffith was primarily a blocking back, most people would have expected a two TD performance out of Terell Davis, not Griffith.

VI. Howard Griffith played in the 1997 and 1998 Super Bowls with the Broncos.

Denver%20Broncos%20%201997%20Super%20Bowdenver-broncos-1998-super-bowl-ring.jpg

716172.jpg

SCOREBOARD:

sc49erfan15 - 3

kbaker19 - 1

OnWis97 - 1

cmm - 1

Dalcowboyfan92 - 1

Brian in Boston -1

BB52Big.jpg

That was a good one. It really took me a while to get away from the AFL/NFL drafts and into players other than 60s-70s guys. Then it hit me to look at "other" drafts... the 1984 USFL/CFL supplemental draft and then expansion drafts. Once I saw Howard Griffith's name on the Panthers' expansion draft list - it all hit me (8 TD game, big games with the Broncos in the SB, NFC championship with Panthers) before I could even click on his name.

Also, a good clue could've been "I scored one-sixth of my career touchdowns in the Super Bowl" - Griffith only scored 12 TDs his whole career.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived