2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

rvrdgsfn

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Newman wins, it wouldn't surprise me if Brian France gets all pissy and changes the Chase rules again and institutes some low-ball rule like you must have 1 win to advance into the next round in the Chase.

I think there should be a change. Just him being in the final four is a pretty big flaw in the current system despite his being, at best, slightly above average all season. But at the same time, at some point, they have to stop changing the damn system -- so I kind of don't want them to.

Either way, I'm thinking NASCAR's losing me.

IUe6Hvh.png

Sigh...

Well, can't say that Gordon didn't try. I will give Newman the benefit of the doubt, he wasn't going to be denied a spot. It's been a great year for Gordon. This is the best season I can remember since his 2007 runner up season. No need for Gordon and Gordon Nation to hang our heads. Heck, I was hoping for 1-2 wins this year. Instead, Jeff won't 4 times, including a win at the Brickyard. We should hold our heads up high and look forward to next season. There aren't many seasons of Jeff in NASCAR remaining and we know that. I'm trying to enjoy every minute of it.

As for Homestead: I've got Harvick. It will be close. That is all.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Hoo boy, this is going to be good. Harvick, Logano, Hamlin & Newman. There will be a first time Sprint Cup Champion after Homestead. Out of all 4, I'm saying Harvick has the best chance, he's had a dominant car for most of the year & having a Hendrick engine helps. Although I'm not counting out Logano or Hamlin I mean, both guys were a lap down and got right back and fought there way back up. It was heartbreaking for Gordon to see him have a great car only to fall short because Larson hit the wall. Newman is really going to have to prove himself at Homestead.

1.Harvick

2. Gordon

3. Kenseth

4. Keselowski

5. Hamlin

6. Logano

7. Kurt Busch

8. Earnhardt Jr.

9. Biffle

10. Ambrose

See you all at Homestead. Plus, the last for ESPN.

baltimoreravens.png

Yeah this format is amazing. There are 4 guys who have done EXACTLY what they needed to do to get to this point. Yes nascar has emphasized winning. But why are you all wanting to penalize Newman? He scored more points than the cut off each time. Gordon had a 29th place finish. He didn't score enough points. Deal with it. They put the number at 16 because it's a nice number that divides nicely. If you argue "oh well only winners should get in" it could've easily been 18 winners or something with fluke restrictor plate wins.

Plus you all seem scared that Newman is going to win this whole thing. As long as someone else finishes in the top 10, they'll win the cup.

The only thing I would tinker with this format would be swapping Talladega and Charlotte around to eliminate some of the random number generator-ness of Talladega being an elimination race and, without further judgement of seeing it in action next week, making it 4 races of 16, 3 of 8, and then a best of 3 with the final four. That being said, although I was real skeptical of this when they first announced it, I don't think I've been as entertained with NASCAR as I've had these past 9 weeks

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

I think this new format is interesting, but the champion won't necessarily be the best car of the season. Believe me, all the excitement is great, but NASCAR could tinker with this some more. The old Chase format made sure the winner was truly the best in NASCAR that year, or at least a lot closer to it.

Well, just to play devil's advocate even though we are deciding a champ on the basis of 1 race rather than 10

Unofficial Chase Standings using 2013 Sprint Cup Chase rules:
[after Phoenix, race 35 of 36]
1) #22-Joey Logano [5 wins] 2368
2) #4-Kevin Harvick [4 wins] 2342, -29

3) #2-Brad Keselowski [6 wins], 2320, -48
4) #24-Jeff Gordon [4 wins] 2312, -56
5) #31-Ryan Newman, 2311, -57

(Hamlin missed a race earlier in the year and thus would've missed the Chase to begin with in the old format)

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

I don't want to get to the point where drivers who haven't been a contender all year are suddenly winning championships simply because they barely made their way in and managed to avoid bad luck. As has been mentioned before, usually you can look at a season and say the best car won the championship -- or, at the very least, one of the cars that has been best throughout the season. That won't be the case if either Hamlin or Newman win.

I think if NASCAR really wants to emphasize winning, they should continue to give bonus points in the chase for guys who've won races beyond just what they do in the first round. I never did like that the cars go back to even after the first chase round.

IUe6Hvh.png

I'm also enjoying this chase playoff, now instead of 2 maybe 3 contenders, we'll have 4 in a deciding race. It truly has been an interesting season going into Homestead. I'm looking forward to this race especially we will have a first time Champion. My mind says Harvick but since I'm a Virginia boy, I would love to see Denny win it. Either way, if either one of them won it, I would be happy.

baltimoreravens.png

From the facts that may only interest me department, the four championship contenders number styling all come from another original team car.

The #4 styling comes from Tony Stewart's #14 car.

The #11 styling comes from Joe Gibbs' #18 car.

The #22 styling comes from Roger Penske's #2 car.

The #31 styling comes from Richard Childress' #3 car.

iq5b7nF.png

From the facts that may only interest me department, the four championship contenders number styling all come from another original team car.

Actually no. The #31 styling comes from Richard Childress himself

Richard-Childress-3-car.jpg

Pre-Dale Earnhardt #3, with Richard Childress in the car.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Actually no. The #31 styling comes from Richard Childress himself

Richard-Childress-3-car.jpg

Pre-Dale Earnhardt #3, with Richard Childress in the car.

When Ricky Rudd drove for Childress (giving him owner win #1 and #2), the number font was drastically different then what it would become.

Ricky%20Rudd.vadapt.320.medium.0.jpg

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

That was by far one of the best races this season. All 4 drivers drove like heck. I felt bad for Hamlin after he got loose & Newman almost had it. I kept saying, put Harvick with a Hendrick engine, he will do damage.

Results from Homestead:

1. Harvick

2. Newman

3. Keselowski

4. Menard

5. McMurray

6. Kenseth

7. Hamlin

8. Bowyer

9. Johnson

10. Gordon

Logano finished 16th after an unlucky pitstop. IMO, a good 2014 season, I can't wait till 2015!

baltimoreravens.png

Harvick is my wife's favorite driver, so he's my second favorite and the guy I was cheering for tonight. While I think the rest of the chase needs some fixing, as has been noted with my Ryan Newman criticism, but I'm really torn on the one race to decide a championship format. On one hand, that was one hell of a race, but on the other, I think NASCAR is way too random to base it all on one race. Just happy Harvick won, though.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived