NBA as Football (30/30 Bucks Added)

JPDesign

Hey everyone, this is my first concept on the boards! I'll be taking NBA uniforms and creating them as football teams. I know I'm not the first to do so, but it's been fun for me so far.

A couple standards I'm following:

• I try to best depict each team's current uniforms as football uniforms. So I won't be fixing any teams' identities. (There are a couple exceptions where I used previous sets...more on that later.)
  • I'm not worried about basketballs being in the logos that are on these. I didn't want to go into each teams' logo and try to remove basketballs, especially in the NBA where they're everywhere.
  • I'm doing home, away, and one alternate.
  • No team can have more than two helmets. I started off by having a different helmet for each set, and it got out of hand.
  • I'll be going through this by division.

Hope you guys like it!

First up is the Oklahoma City Thunder. I thought their side panels translated really well to a traditional football stripe. This concept was the first one I did and what inspired me to try it with other teams. Again with the alternate I thought the simple two white stripes look they use translated really well to a football uniform.

Edit: Click here for updated OKC Thunder

jZy0D1W.png

kwF8OB7.png

6PMEtmL.png

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the only real gripe i have and it's usually when people do these x-over concepts is when logos with sport specific details are used. In this case, the OKC logo with the basketball. it just looks odd seeing a logo for a football team that features a basketball. in this case you almost could get away with editing the basketball out and using a solid color. other than that the logo makes a good helmet logo.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Wow! I'm really impressed. I'd recommend a few things for the helmet logo though. First off, remove the basketball from the shield and replace it with maybe a football, some grass, or maybe leave it blank. The second thing I'd recommend is that you make the logo larger.

the only real gripe i have and it's usually when people do these x-over concepts is when logos with sport specific details are used. In this case, the OKC logo with the basketball. it just looks odd seeing a logo for a football team that features a basketball. in this case you almost could get away with editing the basketball out and using a solid color. other than that the logo makes a good helmet logo.

I never even thought about that, but its a good point. That will be a big problem with the NBA. I feel like they have basketballs in so many of their team logos.

I never even thought about that, but its a good point. That will be a big problem with the NBA. I feel like they have basketballs in so many of their team logos.

You realise that he typed some stuff before showing the concept, right?

Yeah, I definitely debated trying to remove the basketballs from every team's logos, but I felt that overall it made the logos worse (ex: the Utah Jazz just had a big music note). So for the sake of this concept, I'm leaving them in. Like Kevsim1 said, as I worked through these I tried to operate on some basic guidelines to make them consistent in how I translated them from NBA.

Oh, and the pants stripe on the alternate looks a little gray-ish because of the mesh pattern on the side panels. It's white though. ;) The mesh doesn't affect the color as much on the other colors.

It really would add a lot if you changed the basketballs - I know you said you're not worried about it, but it's that kind of subtle editing that really makes crossovers awesome.

That said, I don't think there's a much better way to translate the Thunder uniforms to football, so great job. Very clean and well-executed.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Great thread! Your stripes and blue look very sharp on the home and away. As for the midnight blue, which is fantastic, the blue is a great idea and looks great on the uniform. It also blends well with white. Very simple, very stunning. May I see the template?

realy good stuff man. i dont have any issues with the Thunder concept but your template could use a bit of tweaking. if its NFL, then you should use long socks. would also provide that option of using some interesting stripe patterns on them. and the mesh area of the white jersey is too dark of a gray, it looks like its colored differently as part of the graphic design. go a shade or two lighter there (or lessen the opacity %)

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Next up we have the Minnesota Timberwolves. The home and away are pretty self explanatory. I thought the tree design worked really well as a sleeve design. I also liked using the black pants on the home set, instead of white. For the alternate, I went with their crazy, recently-revealed sleeved set. Since it's a pretty wild design, I decided to go ahead and give in to all the modern uniform trends: oversized logo on the helmet, monochrome, leotard socks (though I did have to add a teal stripe to settle my conscience).

9lOS1PY.png

prgkFEI.png

b3BdNH5.png

Archived