College Baseball 2014

cajunaggie08

Louiville's new field at Jim Patterson Stadium. I think this looks pretty good. Synthetic fields have come a long way.

BRvIRUkCQAEf4PZ.jpg

There is something just wrong about the lack of dirt infield though. I mean I understand replacing the grass if you must and I really understand the fields where the infield foul territory is synthetic due to the abuse that area of the field takes... but the fake grass dirt replacement? Is it really that hard to maintain some crushed red brick?

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it has way more to do with how much effort there has to be to keep the dirt where it should be. Grass fields are the same way but I'd imagine it's not as big of a deal to get a ton of dirt into grass, but a ton of dirt in turf could be there awhile.

Personally I hate it. Doesn't feel like real baseball, like it's a hybrid indoor version or something.

I was just having a conversation about these fields the other day. It's not synthetic dirt, it's just different color turf. The amount of rubber they mix in determines how fast the ball will roll on the ground, so you can tweak it simulate the speed of real dirt.

As for sliding, in dry conditions, the effect is minimal. When the ground is wet, however, you slide much farther than normal.

I was just having a conversation about these fields the other day. It's not synthetic dirt, it's just different color turf. The amount of rubber they mix in determines how fast the ball will roll on the ground, so you can tweak it simulate the speed of real dirt.

As for sliding, in dry conditions, the effect is minimal. When the ground is wet, however, you slide much farther than normal.

but you also have to deal with turf burn, which is like carpet burn, versus dirt that you don't have that problem

Field turf burn is nothing like old astro turf burn. I'd actually say the effects are minimal to zero based on playing college football on a field turf field.

It might even be better sliding on that than sliding on dirt in regards to skin. I got more raspberries sliding in baseball dirt than from falling/tackling in football turf.

Field turf burn is nothing like old astro turf burn. I'd actually say the effects are minimal to zero based on playing college football on a field turf field.

It might even be better sliding on that than sliding on dirt in regards to skin. I got more raspberries sliding in baseball dirt than from falling/tackling in football turf.

i remember it bing decently bad, not as bad as the astro turf when i played on it the first time any ways, the other times were at night and i didn't experience this so i don't know if that has anything to do with it.

This thread is actually showing to perfection where pullovers and head-to-toe color uniforms belong: in the amateur ranks, not professional.

I don't know. I've always preferred pullovers. I always had trouble with my button up jersey staying tucked in. I agree that button-ups look better in most cases, but pullovers are more practical and more comfortable in my opinion.

z9e0rqit393ojiizsemd0t1hx.gif74937881997.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)North Carolina Tar Heels (2015 - Pres)

alternate

BeI7cSoIYAAQ7GL.jpg

Is it me or is the T and Adidas logo really crooked? It doesn't appear that it's because of the the way it's being worn.

It's the way it's being worn. They line up straight when laid flat.

The orange is sublimated on, rather than it being an orange fabric jersey. Something adidas is trying out with a few colored baseball jerseys to try and prevent fading with heavy washing. Not sure what kind of difference it will make.

So is the inside of the jersey white or some other color? That will look horrible if the top buttons aren't buttoned. You'll be able to see the other color.

Pardon my ignorance but does that mean that a baseball will bounce/roll on the brown turf differently from the green stuff on the same field like an old fashioned diamond?

How dramatically would playing different sports on sport specific turfs be? Say football on baseball or vice/versa?

App State has a new yellow hat. I went to a few of their games last year and don't remember any yellow in their uniforms (outside of the App State & number) last year.

BfGk1QICEAAC3xB.jpg

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

alternate

BeI7cSoIYAAQ7GL.jpg

Is it me or is the T and Adidas logo really crooked? It doesn't appear that it's because of the the way it's being worn.

It's the way it's being worn. They line up straight when laid flat.

The orange is sublimated on, rather than it being an orange fabric jersey. Something adidas is trying out with a few colored baseball jerseys to try and prevent fading with heavy washing. Not sure what kind of difference it will make.

So is the inside of the jersey white or some other color? That will look horrible if the top buttons aren't buttoned. You'll be able to see the other color.

White, but you can't see it when unbuttoned because the fabric is doubled over on the placket. The white doesn't start until you see the actual back of the material. Same as the MLB BP jerseys before the 2011 redesign.

Archived