Habs in an independent Québec

Canadian_Idiot

This concept came about after a conversation on the possibility of an independent Québec with a friend who is a Montréal native and a strong supporter of Québec sovereignty.

Taking a break from the heated discussion regarding the viability of such a nation- My brain took full advantage to jump into "hockey mode" and I posed the question:
"What would happen to the Habs if Québec DOES become an independent nation?"

Naturally, cheering for a team called "le Club de Hockey Canadien" would seem strange to the population in a newly free Quebec, regardless of the history associated with the franchise.
After all: this is a province who has just cut ties with a "country" it has been a part of for the better part of a century and a half, I'm certain a change would be welcomed.

Wanting to keep my alteration of such a storied franchise to a minimum, I opted to simply replace the "Canadien" in the existing franchise identity with "Québécois"- a fitting, yet subtle change for the team in the largest city in the new nation.

The following logos are quick mock-ups of what I think the best possible course of action would be in the event the aforementioned purely hypothetical situation does come to fruition.

Ladies and Gentlemen:
le Club de Hockey Québécois.
zjtffn.jpg
This was my first, very visibly rough draft of what a "half C/ half Q" habs primary logo could be.

210iz2f.jpg
This one answered the "what If they drop the "C" altogether?" question.

And finally:
2cws84j.jpg
This was the third "compromise" between the two prior mock ups.

Let me know what you think.
This was all product of a quick brain storm and done (quite quickly and messy, I might add) in the always wonderful MS Paint.

5amlwx.jpg

Guest darkpiranha

The Quanadiens. Interesting. I'd say that since you made a successful compromise logo that you do another one that is completely outside the box.

very interesting. And minimalist, which is realistic. It's one of those "aw, all he did was add a line", but we're talking about a 100 year old franchise here that's never changed anything, they wouldn't dare change more than a line.

On the jerseys, I could see the addition of a patch, a fleur de lis or a flag or some alternate logo supporting the change.

Seeing a revived Nordiques in a sovereign Quebec would be interesting, too. According to Hockey: A People's History, Montreal was for the older, conservative Quebecois who wanted to remain with Canada, and Quebec was for the new generation, the rebellious generation, the separatist generation. New colors for a new people and a new movement.

I think you should explore a little with the separatist movement, look for flags and symbols and see what else you can come up with. This could always spread to an independent QMJHL (sorry, LMJHQ) and other impacts, or you could measure it from 1995 when the big vote happened (and failed, but not by much). Good idea. Really look into the alternate histories there and see what you like

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

This concept came about after a conversation on the possibility of an independent Québec with a friend who is a Montréal native and a strong supporter of Québec sovereignty.

Sounds like it's your friend who's the Canadian idiot.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

First of all, tell your "friend" that if he wants to leave...to leave...please.

There's nothing stopping him...oh wait... he would lose a lot of nice "entitlements" and benefits that are paid for by TROC.

So, the reality is... he ain't goin'.

Secondly, hockey week is right.

If Quebec voted to leave, Canada wouldn't/couldn't turn its back on those in Quebec who wished to remain in Canada.

So, an agreement would most likely be worked out that those "regions" wanting independence could leave, which means that an independent Quebec would most likely be an area around Quebec City.

As hockey week mentioned, the team of a Sovereign Quebec would more likely be the Nordiques.

(Actually, that above fact hurt the Nords' popularity in TROC, during its first incarnation).

Thirdly, as a purely fictional concept, it's very good...very clean.

I agree that you'd probably have to put the Quebec flag on there somewhere, and...

Numbers would have to be in french.

please no political debate, or calling people idiots for their political opinions....

i love this concept. especially the QH.

also, chewbarky.... france has it's own numbers?

I already had this discussion with a few people, before. If it happens, the name is not changing.

Someone already told me that the origins of the name ''Le Club de Hockey Canadien'' doesn't come from the standard country of Canada that we know of today. But from a culture (or sub-culture) that referred to themselves as Canadiens with an E, before the country fully formed inself. Now I have never opened a single history book in my entire life (except for school courses), so maybe a history buff here could confirm that what I just stated is factual and accurate. Anyway, it's it's true, the team can therefore continue to refer inself as the Canadiens without being part of today's modern Canada.

If what I claim is accurate, well...that's /thread guys.

And don't forget about the 105+ years of history and championships my team has. We're They're untouchable like the Yankees and Celtics anyway. :)

This independance thing will never happen. I tend to believe more people outside Quebec think it could happen then quebecers themselves..

Now, the previous poster is absolutely right, the word "canadiens" existed before Canada was born and described the citizens of french language and culture living in the currect area of the province of Quebec. So its not a reference to "Canada" in itself.

Does this prevents the Vancouver baseball to be named "Canadians"? Of course not, as they clearly refer the country, using "canadian" in its post confederation meaning, being a citizen of Canada.

In a fictive situation of this nature, the club would keep its name, no question. Now the logos here are fun to watch and the last one is the best IMHO.

Guest darkpiranha

Here in Texas, half of the population wants to secede from the union. Maybe Quebec and Texas could team up to form their own Frankenation. Quebexas.

Here in Texas, half of the population wants to secede from the union. Maybe Quebec and Texas could team up to form their own Frankenation. Quebexas.

Would be very weird, all the Austin hipsters would be dispersed to go to Quebec, because Austin is too "mainstream". Also, wouldn't the Hispanics hate the French Canadians, because France hated Spain way back when?

That's what- She

I'd immediately move to an independent Texas as soon as I could, for reasons I shouldn't say.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Archived