Northwestern Univ. football players attempts to unionize

CS85

When I was in grad school, some colleagues (not me, too dumb) attained research positions that paid tuition and a stipend, about $25/hour for 20 hours a week. You won't get rich off that, but its more than minimum wage and pays bills. And that's for folks helping research academic papers that go on a shelf.

The starting offensive guard creates more dollar value than that and should be compensated at least as well.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They will never get it because of title IX if nothing else. Best case for future players is that revenue sports are forced to die and the NFL establishes a minor league. The best players will play in it and get paid. The rest will be done with football after high school.

I dunno. I've seen arguments that Title IX could dodged for just the revenue sports if you make those players more like employees.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

To me the players that gripe about needing to get paid for playing in college do so because they want to live the life of a professional athlete before they are professionals. They want the cars, clothes, and hype. All things that would sour the college game IMO. These are the players that complain about not having money for stuff at the end of the week because they live out of whatever means they have. Every other student at a college is in situational poverty because all their money goes to school. Scholarship athletes don't worry about paying for school or food (campus meal plans) or clothes (team provided), so where does their money go?

Actually you'd be surprised, but athletic scholarships don't cover everything. There's a reason that "full cost" buzzword has been going around the last few years.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

We have had the "pay student athletes" discussion for a long time and I always get lambasted for this but...

Colleges are a business, it is the goal of every admission department to have as high a registered population as possible. If college do decide to pay students, prepare for tuition to significantly rise to off set the cost.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

We have had the "pay student athletes" discussion for a long time and I always get lambasted for this but...

Colleges are a business, it is the goal of every admission department to have as high a registered population as possible. If college do decide to pay students, prepare for tuition to significantly rise to off set the cost.

Meh. The ones that are likeliest to pay only take student money now because nobody's bothered to cut off that revenue stream. Colleges are indeed a business, but that athletic department unit put up a lot of firewalls surrounding it. Firewalls work both ways.

Today, we are all otaku.

This whole thing makes me think of why colleges and universities added sports in the first place, for school pride. If pay for play happens it will be "I'll give you school pride, but it will cost you."

If you're a student it already does. Especially at the lower reaches of Division I.

Today, we are all otaku.

Are we going to touch the fact that college coaches make as much as or more than NFL coaches?

They're professionals who have completed their college educations and have had previous work experience that has allowed them to receive these positions. Are they paid pretty excessively? Maybe. But you can't compare the two. Players are not on the same level as coaches. It's no different than high school athletes and high school coaches. Just a level up. College is meant as an in between high school and the real world. A place where you get the next phase of your education and a taste of the real world while still having a bit of a safety net.

Are we going to touch the fact that college coaches make as much as or more than NFL coaches?

They're professionals who have completed their college educations and have had previous work experience that has allowed them to receive these positions. Are they paid pretty excessively? Maybe. But you can't compare the two. Players are not on the same level as coaches. It's no different than high school athletes and high school coaches. Just a level up. College is meant as an in between high school and the real world. A place where you get the next phase of your education and a taste of the real world while still having a bit of a safety net.

No one's saying the players should be paid as much as the coaches. However when coordinators are starting to pull in million dollar salaries, the compensation issue is getting out of hand.

Today, we are all otaku.

It's about endorsement money more than salary. I don't think there's a soul who would advocate players making more than $50,000 a year. I think that's awfully high myself.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

There is nothing about Division I college football that remotely resembles the real world.

Well the 23-hour work days.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This whole thing makes me think of why colleges and universities added sports in the first place, for school pride. If pay for play happens it will be "I'll give you school pride, but it will cost you."

Actually, I believe they added them in the first place because their mission is to develop well-rounded human beings (at the time, meaning men). Athletics and physical fitness are an important part of that. Then came spectators and school pride, and then money finally corrupted that mission.

However when coordinators are starting to pull in million dollar salaries, the compensation issue is getting out of hand.

Oh, it's already well out of hand.

ku-xlarge.jpg

The system is very, very sick. But the answer is not to inject still more money into it, any more than treating a mugging victim should involve a couple extra stabs with a switchblade.

However when coordinators are starting to pull in million dollar salaries, the compensation issue is getting out of hand.

Oh, it's already well out of hand.

ku-xlarge.jpg

The system is very, very sick. But the answer is not to inject still more money into it, any more than treating a mugging victim should involve a couple extra stabs with a switchblade.

I've seen that map plenty of times before, and yeah, it pretty much tells all.

If anything from that map surprises me, it's that the football coaches at Montana and/or Montana State and Delaware (given their success at the 1-AA/FCS level) aren't the highest paid, and that if the map included private universities, there wouldn't be any blue on it.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Actually, I believe they added them in the first place because their mission is to develop well-rounded human beings (at the time, meaning men). Athletics and physical fitness are an important part of that. Then came spectators and school pride, and then money finally corrupted that mission.

Touche'

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

The toughest part of paying players is how much do you pay everyone for their "work"? Do you pay the fourth string QB the same as the first string QB? Do you pay the 5th string LB the same as the first string RB? Do you pay the first string QB the same as anyone on the soccer team? Is USC going to pay more than UCLA?

The scholarship solves that problem really easily.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I like the admiral's suggestion of allowing endorsements. And booster kick-backs. And all of the perks coaches get but players can't.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived