LA Galaxy II: Electric Boogaloo

Burmy

Seems pretty pointless beyond player development to me. They're not even going to have their own fan base. They're playing on the Stubhub Center Grounds (probably in the smaller track and field stadium just south of the main stadium), the LA supporters groups are getting free admission to the LAGII games. And the individual tickets they are selling are going for less than half comparable tickets in the rest of the USL. They're basically just a rebuild of the Galaxy's existing Reserve team into a USL team. Minimum investment for minimum return.

I'm much more interested in what Real Salt Lake is rumored to be doing, which is to field an MLS owned USL side in a different city down in San Diego (supposedly the RSL owner has a house in La Jolla). They're supposedly going to set it up more as its own semi-independent operation. It will obviously have its own stadium, and if they do it right it'll even have its own identity and fan base (Real San Diego seems an obvious choice for name).

Seems pretty pointless beyond player development to me. They're not even going to have their own fan base. They're playing on the Stubhub Center Grounds (probably in the smaller track and field stadium just south of the main stadium), the LA supporters groups are getting free admission to the LAGII games. And the individual tickets they are selling are going for less than half comparable tickets in the rest of the USL. They're basically just a rebuild of the Galaxy's existing Reserve team into a USL team. Minimum investment for minimum return.

I'm much more interested in what Real Salt Lake is rumored to be doing, which is to field an MLS owned USL side in a different city down in San Diego (supposedly the RSL owner has a house in La Jolla). They're supposedly going to set it up more as its own semi-independent operation. It will obviously have its own stadium, and if they do it right it'll even have its own identity and fan base (Real San Diego seems an obvious choice for name).

Once we have our own fiefdom in San Diego...we will truly be kings.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

Once we have our own fiefdom in San Diego...we will truly be kings.

Hey I'm a Quakes fan, but I will respect the hell out of RSL if they pull it off in San Diego (and rumor is Seattle wants to do something similar if less ambitious by putting a USL team in Tacoma). A remote USL team is both a good way to spread your brand around, but it also helps out both USL and MLS by spreading their brands around as well and the game in general. And for San Diego in particular it gives the city its first D3 or above team in over a decade in a city that didn't seem to have great MLS, NASL or USL prospects despite being a soccer hotbed.

Couldn't they have done something remotely creative to play off the space theme like the LA Nebulae or LA Comets?

No becauase that would require buying these guys separate gear from the D1 team and the academy team. Now they all just wear the same jerseys and they can buy in even bigger bulk.

This is so common in many European sports. Many teams will have a second team playing in a lower league and it will just end in II.

I love that in America, anything that is actually quite commonplace but we're not used to is "stupid."

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

This is so common in many European sports. Many teams will have a second team playing in a lower league and it will just end in II.

I love that in America, anything that is actually quite commonplace but we're not used to is "stupid."

I doubt that that's just an American thing.

Archived