Gray Facemask Collection

Dedalvs

The first time I ever heard about the overuse of gray facemasks was on this forum. I now can't think about anything else when I'm watching an NFL game, if one of the teams sports a gray facemask. Hoping that it will be therapeutic, I have collected here every NFL helmet that features an inappropriate gray facemask. For the purposes of this thread, a gray facemask is considered inappropriate if gray or silver is not a major part of the team's color scheme. I'll also list suggestions for what color I think the facemask could or should be instead of gray, in order of personal preference.

Here's the list (in alphabetical order):

Arizona Cardinals

2y2qe6iei9ffjbymrpel3b2mj.gif

Alternatives: red, black, white

Buffalo Bills

1iebw9mtltmtihce4qs0svel7.gif

Alternatives: red, blue, white

Cleveland Browns

95b2itjhcrakfhbbur3qjhqeg.gif

Alternatives: white, brown, black

Indianapolis Colts

2ufhm4emsi0ga30iwqjru46mm.gif

Alternatives: blue, white

New York Giants

80fw425vg3404shgkeonlmsgf.gif

Alternatives: white, red, blue

San Francisco 49ers

vj3mzax8z0hvgafjtsccwcqde.gif

Alternatives: red, black, white

Wow, only 6! I thought there were more. Not bad.

All these images come from Sportslogos.net, so you'll have to ask Chris why the Giants have a different style helmet logo image from the rest (to show off the number on the front?). A special shoutout goes to the 49ers and Browns, who recently switched away from a perfectly good facemask to an inappropriate gray facemask. (I guess the Bills did, too, but the Niners' and Browns' switches seem somehow like much graver offenses.) Of the 6, I find the Carindals' gray facemask to be the most jarring—especially in their road whites.

And, for the record, the Cowboys and Raiders also sport gray facemasks, but both teams have gray or silver as one of their main colors, so they get a pass (though I think it would be interesting to see the Raiders in black facemasks).

Happy Super Bowl.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, why did you include the Giants?

Secondly, I wouldn't put too much on the Browns, Bills and 49ers since they used to wear gray before reverting back to it (and are wearing a modernized throwback).

The Colts switched to gray and black cleats, a look they had back to their Baltimore days.

Cardinals have had the gray facemasks forever but I agree that with their current uniform, a change should be made.

Go A's!

First of all, why did you include the Giants?

Well, I guess this is where the fuzzy word "major" comes into play. I do recognize that their pants are gray when they wear their whites (I believe they switched to white pants at home this year?). As it is, though, that's only an occasional part of their identity, and not one I see as being close enough to be a match. I do admit, though, that that's entirely subjective, so the Giants should have an asterisk next to them.

I still think of the Giants as Red/White/Blue and the gray mask looks out of place to me, despite the gray pants.

I'd love to see all of these teams change. I think the switch from blue to gray was a huge downgrade for the Colts...same with the Browns going to gray.

On the other hand, I'd love a switch to old color schemes and gray face masks for the Eagles and Lions.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

DP

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Don't mean to step on the OP's toes...but I posted all of the right-side official helmet graphics on my blog a while back...seems like a good opportunity to show a true comparison:

th_ArizonaCardinals_HRS0100a_2012_SCC_SR

th_BuffaloBills_HRS0100a_2012_SCC_SRGB.p

th_ClevelandBrowns_HRS0100a_2012_SCC_SRG

th_DallasCowboys_HRS0100a_2012_SCC_SRGB.

th_IndianapolisColts_HRS0100a_2012_SCC_S

th_NewYorkGiants_HRS0100a_2012_SCC_SRGB.

th_OaklandRaiders_HRS0100a_2012_SCC_SRGB

th_SanFrancisco49ers_HRS0100a_2012_SCC_S

The intent is for the Raiders' mask to match the helmet...doesn't work in reality, since the Silver-Blue they use (they really do use a Silver-Blue paint) doesn't match the flat Gray of the masks...

Don't mean to step on the OP's toes...but I posted all of the right-side official helmet graphics on my blog a while back...seems like a good opportunity to show a true comparison:

th_ArizonaCardinals_HRS0100a_2012_SCC_SR

th_BuffaloBills_HRS0100a_2012_SCC_SRGB.p

th_ClevelandBrowns_HRS0100a_2012_SCC_SRG

th_DallasCowboys_HRS0100a_2012_SCC_SRGB.

th_IndianapolisColts_HRS0100a_2012_SCC_S

th_NewYorkGiants_HRS0100a_2012_SCC_SRGB.

th_OaklandRaiders_HRS0100a_2012_SCC_SRGB

th_SanFrancisco49ers_HRS0100a_2012_SCC_S

Nice! Now that you post them, it is kind of weird that the gray facemask doesn't match the gray of the Cowboys' helmets...

Nice! Now that you post them, it is kind of weird that the gray facemask doesn't match the gray of the Cowboys' helmets...

It's because they don't match. Even thought the Cowboys changed helmet color in 2012...from:

DallasCowboys_FRC_Silver-Blue01a_2011_SC

...to:

DallasCowboys_FRC_Silver01a_9999_SCC_SRG

...it's still a Silver with a strong hint of Blue in it.

It's because they don't match. Even thought the Cowboys changed helmet color in 2012...from:

DallasCowboys_FRC_Silver-Blue01a_2011_SC

...to:

DallasCowboys_FRC_Silver01a_9999_SCC_SRG

...it's still a Silver with a strong hint of Blue in it.

I guess this technically makes them a team with an inappropriate gray facemask. (Personally, I think blue would look better, anyway.)

The only team on that list I'd consider changing is the Bills. I'd just as soon leave it gray, because it fits their image, but with the added navy and the modern touches like the helmet stripe, Buffalo's gray could be seen as an odd choice. Every other team on that list looks better to me with a gray mask than with any of the obvious colors they'd probably use. (I know the Cardinals gray facemask doesn't match their mod uniform , but IMO they don't need to change the mask, they need to change everything from the neck down to match the mask.)

How about this for an unpopular opinion... here is a list of teams (with no gray in their uniform) that need to switch to a gray mask.

1. Bears

2. Chiefs

3. Redskins

4. Steelers (if they can bring back block numbers, too)

grey was the ORIGINAL facemask color, so maybe I'm in the minority, but I think it's a viable option for most any team at any time. in fact, when I tinker with rebranding teams for fun, it's a failsafe sort of "go-to" of mine. I think it's a timeless and classic look. I mean, go to a pee wee football game, and EVERY kid has a grey facemask. I'll agree that often times another color is better (for example, I wondered what the browns were thinking, the white looked great) (sidenote: black clashes with brown and is a huge fashion faux pas, so that was an awful suggestion for the Browns), but there are way too many other uniform elements that exist for many of these teams that I consider real issues. the facemask thing, to me, is a non issue.

but just for kicks, here's my list of what the team's should wear.

Cardinals - white

Bills - grey or blue (I'm 50/50)

Browns - white

Colts - grey

Giants - grey

49ers - red

For all levels of football, grey facemasks appear to be unpainted. They are in essence - if you were explaining this idea to invading space aliens - a primer base for which a color is to be applied next on.

To that end, in the same sport, white helmets are also a stripped down primer level - unfinished. Think of the gym bin in elem. school back some years ago with the "practice" white helmets, grey facemasks.

I can't stand white pants either. Thankfully, no NFL team has gone as cheap in that area as many of the college programs do putting out straight unstriped white pants sans a terrible corporate brand logo.

I don't mind the gray facemasks on any of them, but I wouldn't be upset if they all changed to a different color.

The Bills in particular could benefit from doing so, since the Pats use silver/gray in their color scheme, and removing all traces of gray from the set would furtherly separate the two colorwise.

Sure the Bills might look OK with a blue mask, same for the Colts. But I do like the gray --- it's traditional and neutral.

But I'd really HATE to see the 49ers or Cardinals switch to a colored mask.

Browns + Giants would look fine with white masks.

Archived