Tracy Ringolsby: "Portland ready, willing and hoping" for MLB

Brian in Boston

Stadiumpage.com posted this graphic under "Unrealized Concepts: '04 Portland":

port2.JPG

As a college student in Portland right now, plans to build a ballpark in Portland on these sites would meet from some notable opposition, mostly from environmentalists (there are almost as many here as there are in San Francisco), those opposed to increased taxation going towards the stadium and away from social programs (of which there are many), and maybe the Portland Timbers (if the Portland team acted upon the PGE Park site). The Blanchard property seems to be the best site at the moment, judging by it's proximity to the Moda Center and by default the Tri-Met bus and rail lines.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see Portland being a great place for a Major League team, but in the vein of what Gothamite said before, it's hard for me to think that Portland could land a team in the next 5 or so years when the city kicked the Beavers out of PGE Park Jeld-Wen Field for the sake of the Timbers.

I think his point was those are always the names trotted out (although he missed Vegas), and they're all extremely unlikely.

If I'm not mistaken, the NHL has seemed very interested in Vegas recently.

I'd love to see Las Vegas land a pro team for my own selfish reasons (nearest big city to where I'm at this point in time), but only the NHL seems like a serious contender to put a team there. And that's because this is the NHL we're talking about.

As for Major League Baseball, Salt Lake City has a better chance than Vegas IMO. However, if I was a betting man (har har), more than likely MLB returns to Montreal via a Rays move and the A's move to Sacramento if they can't get anything done in the immediate Bay Area while holding steady at 30 teams.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

If MLB does decide to expand, I think Montreal's getting the second expansion team (they seem to have the most momentum right about now-keep in mind I decided to keep rivalries in mind when making this)

AL NORTH

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Minnesota Twins

AL SOUTH

Houston Astros

Kansas City Royals

Tampa Bay Rays

Texas Rangers

AL EAST

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Toronto Blue Jays

AL WEST

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Oakland Athletics

Portland TBD

Seattle Mariners

NL NORTH

Chicago Cubs

Milwaukee Brewers

Pittsburgh Pirates

St. Louis Cardinals

NL SOUTH

Atlanta Braves

Cincinnati Reds

Colorado Rockies

Miami Marlins

NL EAST

Montreal TBD

New York Mets

Philadelphia Phillies

Washington Nationals

NL WEST

Arizona Diamondbacks

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

First off, I'm laughing at how the NL South include a team geographically halfway between the Northeast and Midwest (Cincinnati) and how the Rockies are more of a "South" team than the Cardinals. Second, if MLB does institute 32 teams, what do you suppose would be a playoff format? Would you go NFL style and do a 12-team playoff with byes and wildcard series?

How bout this? (Expand to Portland and San Antonio, Rays move to Montreal)

AL East

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Toronto Blue Jays

AL North

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Minnesota Twins

AL West

Anaheim Angels

Portland Beavers

San Jose Athletics

Seattle Mariners

AL South

Houston Astros

Kansas City Royals

San Antonio Missions

Texas Rangers

NL East

Montreal Expos

New York Mets

Philadelphia Phillies

Pittsburgh Pirates

NL North

Chicago Cubs

Cincinnati Reds

Milwaukee Brewers

St. Louis Cardinals

NL West

Colorado Rockies

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

NL South

Arizona Diamondbacks

Atlanta Braves

Florida Marlins

Washington Nationals

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

If MLB does decide to expand, I think Montreal's getting the second expansion team (they seem to have the most momentum right about now-keep in mind I decided to keep rivalries in mind when making this)

AL NORTH

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Minnesota Twins

AL SOUTH

Houston Astros

Kansas City Royals

Tampa Bay Rays

Texas Rangers

AL EAST

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Toronto Blue Jays

AL WEST

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Oakland Athletics

Portland TBD

Seattle Mariners

NL NORTH

Chicago Cubs

Milwaukee Brewers

Pittsburgh Pirates

St. Louis Cardinals

NL SOUTH

Atlanta Braves

Cincinnati Reds

Colorado Rockies

Miami Marlins

NL EAST

Montreal TBD

New York Mets

Philadelphia Phillies

Washington Nationals

NL WEST

Arizona Diamondbacks

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

First off, I'm laughing at how the NL South include a team geographically halfway between the Northeast and Midwest (Cincinnati) and how the Rockies are more of a "South" team than the Cardinals. Second, if MLB does institute 32 teams, what do you suppose would be a playoff format? Would you go NFL style and do a 12-team playoff with byes and wildcard series?

Hopefully you were laughing the same way when the Reds and Braves were in the NL West and the Cardinals and Cubs were in the NL East back in the day.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Hopefully you were laughing the same way when the Reds and Braves were in the NL West and the Cardinals were in the NL East back in the day.

I kind of am. Also to add to it is how Chicago's teams were geographically relegated to opposite divisions, the Cubs in the NL East and the White Sox in the AL West.

But it could be worse. The Arizona Cardinals were once in the NFC East. Then again, playing NFL games only weekly would reduce the amount of fatigue an MLB team in their own geographically-awkward division would face, because they play 6-7 times a week (without taking into account the doubleheaders).

How bout this? (Expand to Portland and San Antonio, Rays move to Montreal)

AL East

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Toronto Blue Jays

AL North

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Minnesota Twins

AL West

Anaheim Angels

Portland Beavers

San Jose Athletics

Seattle Mariners

AL South

Houston Astros

Kansas City Royals

San Antonio Missions

Texas Rangers

NL East

Montreal Expos

New York Mets

Philadelphia Phillies

Pittsburgh Pirates

NL North

Chicago Cubs

Cincinnati Reds

Milwaukee Brewers

St. Louis Cardinals

NL West

Colorado Rockies

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

NL South

Arizona Diamondbacks

Atlanta Braves

Florida Marlins

Washington Nationals

Arizona... in a division with Washington, Atlanta and M-I-A-M-I. That's worse than Colorado in that division earlier in this thread.

Hopefully you were laughing the same way when the Reds and Braves were in the NL West and the Cardinals and Cubs were in the NL East back in the day.

When the Reds and Braves were in the West and the Cubs and Cardinals in the East, the schedule was balanced, it didn't add any additional travel.

*adding San Antonio, Portland, and Montreal*

Going outside the box here.

AL East

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

Cleveland Indians

Chicago White Sox

Detroit Tigers

Minnesota Twins

Toronto Blue Jays

New York Yankees

AL West

Houston Astros

Kansas City Royals

Los Angeles Angels

Oakland Athletics

Portland Beavers

San Antonio Missions

Seattle Mariners

Texas Rangers

NL East

Atlanta Braves

Cincinnati Reds

Miami Marlins

Montreal Expos

New York Mets

Philadelphia Phillies

Pittsburgh Pirates

Washington Nationals

NL West

Arizona Diamondbacks

Chicago Cubs

Colorado Rockies

Los Angeles Dodgers

Milwaukee Brewers

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

St. Louis Cardinals

Division champs get in, play the winner of a playoff game between second and third place team in their division best of 5, then LCS, then World Series.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

*adding San Antonio, Portland, and Montreal*

Going outside the box here.

AL East

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

Cleveland Indians

Chicago White Sox

Detroit Tigers

Minnesota Twins

Toronto Blue Jays

New York Yankees

AL West

Houston Astros

Kansas City Royals

Los Angeles Angels

Oakland Athletics

Portland Beavers

San Antonio Missions

Seattle Mariners

Texas Rangers

NL East

Atlanta Braves

Cincinnati Reds

Miami Marlins

Montreal Expos

New York Mets

Philadelphia Phillies

Pittsburgh Pirates

Washington Nationals

NL West

Arizona Diamondbacks

Chicago Cubs

Colorado Rockies

Los Angeles Dodgers

Milwaukee Brewers

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

St. Louis Cardinals

Division champs get in, play the winner of a playoff game between second and third place team in their division best of 5, then LCS, then World Series.

That'd be damn near perfect.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

True, but those sites are ten years old and in at least one case have already been developed for another use. Doesn't tell us anything about the situation today.

What? Only ten years and they already built stuff on some of the sites? That's why stadium speculation is so much easier in Buffalo.

No expansion. It just doesn't make sense to expand. With attendance problems for 5-6 teams, expanding doesn't make sense. You're also making the talent pool a lot weaker, which would only make the top paying teams (Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees), have an even easier time, as im assuming an expansion team like Portland/Montreal/Vancouver would have a payroll similar to the Rays/Astros.

First of all, the Rays are not leaving Florida. The farthest they would ever go would be Orlando, even that is a stretch. The only team that has any chance of moving is the Athletics, in my opinion.

I hate to be the rain on the parade of all this MLB-to-PDX optimism, but this will never happen.

As cool as it would be, I highly doubt the discussions in Portland are anywhere near as advanced as Ringolsby makes them seem. The Portland Business Journal in October talked to a lot of those same source, including folks in the mayor's office. While they'd heard the conversations, there was nothing to indicate they were anything beyond the casual interest stage.

While Portland might seem like a big city in media market rankings, our corporate base pales in comparison to much smaller markets. Pittsburgh, for example, has far more Fortune 500 companies than the entire state of Oregon, which has just two (Nike and Precision Castparts Corp.). That's a key indicator as to whether there's adequate business support for things like team sponsorships and corporate suite leases.

Ringolsby tosses around some names of corporations, but five of the nine he mentioned are software startups that are five year old or younger without anywhere near the resources necessary to become team sponsors.

It's a nice sentiment. but i just don't see it happening.

You don't have to be a Fortune 500 company to buy a luxury box or a billboard in the stadium. There's only 500 of those companies in the whole country (i.e. not just in NFL markets), and conservatively I'd say there's at least 3,000 luxury boxes at NFL stadiums.

Archived