Tracy Ringolsby: "Portland ready, willing and hoping" for MLB

Brian in Boston

Now mabye I'm crazy but wouldn't the most logical moves be A's to Portland, and the rays to Brooklyn when there able to move because if there's aways people wanting Dodgers back (there not going back!) I'm sure they'd be fine with the Rays. The divisions wouldn't have to change at all.

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now mabye I'm crazy but wouldn't the most logical moves be A's to Portland, and the rays to Brooklyn when there able to move because if there's aways people wanting Dodgers back (there not going back!) I'm sure they'd be fine with the Rays. The divisions wouldn't have to change at all.

so you want 3 teams in new york, having a team in brooklyn would kill the Mets, especially a good team like the rays

That is crazy and pure fantasy.

That is crazy and pure fantasy.
:blink: The irony is baffling.

so you want 3 teams in new york, having a team in brooklyn would kill the Mets, especially a good team like the rays
I don't know that it would kill the Mets. I think It's gonna motivate them to get better. Notice how the clippers started their turn around when the kings were planing a move to Anaheim. New York can handle a three teams and would be the only city beside LA that I would put a 3rd team.

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

I don't know that it would kill the Mets. I think It's gonna motivate them to get better. Notice how the clippers started their turn around when the kings were planing a move to Anaheim. New York can handle a three teams and would be the only city beside LA that I would put a 3rd team.

um you do realize the clippers started playing better because of cp3 and the emergence of blake griffin. Also it's easier to turn a :censored:ty team to a good one in the NBA because one star can completely turn a team around, a team like the mets needs multiple to get them better. you are really comparing apples and oranges.

Focusing on things that are actually feasible and not some random thought, could an MLB team hop to new home in Hillsboro?

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sports/216367-76008-could-mlb-team-hop-to-new-home-in-hillsboro

They'd be better off tearing down the stadium and starting from scratch rather than erecting threeve temporary bleachers. It also gives you a fallback when Portland refuses to give you land for a stadium.

That said, 15-20,000 is 10-15,000 smaller than Tropicana, the smallest ballpark in the league. I'm pretty sure an MLB response to that stadium proposal would be LOL NO.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'd love it if baseball were healthy enough to expand to Portland! Hillsboro looks awfully far from the population center, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'd love it if baseball were healthy enough to expand to Portland! Hillsboro looks awfully far from the population center, though.

Light rail to the rescue.

I live in Hillsboro, about five minutes from that baseball park. It's a 20-25 minute light-rail ride to my office in the heart of downtown Portland. This isn't that big of a metro area for anything to be too far from a population center.

That said, I can't believe that this fantasy is still alive.

Well, it's an easy fantasy. They haven't had to actually do anything but talk to keep it alive.

True. There's nothing like getting our hopes up before reality sets in.

I'd love more than anything to see Big League ball in Portland, especially an AL team. But what nobody says in this latest story is that they'd have to quadruple the capacity of the Hillsboro Hops stadium to make it work as a temporary home. After the A's leave -- presumably for a shiny new, publicly-financed stadium in Portland's Rose Quarter -- then what would the city of Hillsboro do with all those extra seats? Do we really need a AAA club in this market to go with the big-league club? Hillsboro isn't to Portland like Tacoma is to Seattle.

Yeah, I have to admit that Hillsboro doesn't seem like a terribly logical temporary home for a relocating major league team.

Could Civic Stadium be temporarily retrofitted? Or would the left field porch be too short now?

Yes, definitely too short. When they redesigned the stadium for soccer and football only they pretty much erased its applicability to baseball. What was left field is now permanent seating.

The park in Hillsboro and a similarly-sized single-A park an hour south in Salem are the only choices for a temporary home, and neither make sense -- either in the short term or long term.

I'm predicting that the A's will move to San Jose because the next commissioner (hopefully) will force the Giants to give the territory rights to the A's.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

I'm predicting that the A's will move to San Jose because the next commissioner (hopefully) will force the Giants to give the territory rights to the A's.

Better not, at least not without very serious financial compensation.

The current owners of the Giants paid good money for those rights. If the A's want the city so badly, they ought to get out the checkbook.

Archived