NBA Changes 2014-15 Season

Conrad.

Yes, let's blame Adidas and not the NBA. All things must pass through the NBA so blame them.

Well to be fair I don't think Nike or ua have released anything as bad as some of the Adidas stuff.

Adidas gets slammed for trying to put their 3 stripes everywhere but Nike gets a pass for using the same template for every national basketball team jersey?

Yeah, but national team basketball isn't really relevant at all. It's not even close to what national teams are in soccer.

This is a basketball thread. It's the most important sport here.

thundersignature.png

and

sport-scarf_bucs_zpsc424092b.png

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, let's blame Adidas and not the NBA. All things must pass through the NBA so blame them.

Well to be fair I don't think Nike or ua have released anything as bad as some of the Adidas stuff.

Adidas gets slammed for trying to put their 3 stripes everywhere but Nike gets a pass for using the same template for every national basketball team jersey?
Using a template isnt the same as putting your 3 stripes everywhere. Especially since Adidas is just as bad about templating teams if not worse.

Yeah, but national team basketball isn't really relevant at all. It's not even close to what national teams are in soccer.

I know. I meant that the NBA and even college basketball are more relevant than the national team tournaments. So why should Nike even put much effort into the jerseys for them?

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

New hornets jersey concepts.. give me some feedback. If you want the higher-resolution image I posted the link to my blog with those images below. Go Hornets!

http://notsoballinmike.com/2014/02/02/new-hornets-jersey-concepts-will-make-you-wet/

http://wp.me/p4kfNI-f

buzzcity-pw.jpgbuzzcity-tw.jpg

Love them but that team is not the same teal and what the Hornets are using.

Well minus the sleeves the magic one sounds good.

i've seen things. and it wasnt pretty

Can you tell us what you have seen?

Jaguars

I used to really like NBA outfits manufactured by Adidas until 2010-11. Adidas probably thought their fabric was too similar to what NBA was used to wearing when they were still under contract with Nike, Reebok, Champion etc. So went through this garbage with the Revolution 30 and short sleeve jerseys. When they decided make those "groovy" jerseys (being sarcastic) for Christmas matchups, then I was fed up of what Adidas was doing. Let's hope three years from now we get a better manufacturing company (here's looking at you with the swoosh). Fingers crossed.

If Nike had the contract, there would still be plenty to complain about, e.g. flywire collars, the Oregon effect (various neons), System of Dress... and sleeves probably would have come anyway.

Nowadays everyone involved wants to maximize their return -- teams, leagues and manufacturers. No matter who's got the contract you'll see limitless alternates and bizarro "innovations" in the name of selling more merch in the pro shop.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I agree Digby but Nike designers would've KILLED the sleeved concepts in terms of good. They may have Oregon aka the Miami Heat of College, flywire, etc.. but lots of alternates and changes > Adidas flith of rev 30 jerseys and Christmas jerseys. All im saying is Nike worse is still better than Adidas best! Imo

shado_logo.gif

Some of you people are quite frankly either incredibly naive or simply unintelligent. Or both.

1. There was a large contingent of people who couldn't wait for Nike to take over the NFL contract because "reebok suxxx!" and then when Nike took over, it was all "godsdamn Nike with their toilet bowl collars, mismatched colors, SEAHAWKS! - why can't Under Armour get the contract?"

2. There's a contingent of people who bitch about Under Armour in the college threads for ruining certain teams looks, or "forcing" weird stripes on Auburn's pants, or some other stuff. Then there' speople who hate adidas and can't wait for UA to take over Notre Dame, or can't wait for Nike to take over a certain school, or... you get the point.

The bottom line is that you're stupid. Sorry, but you are. THE GODSDAMN TEAMS ARE TO BLAME. It's not like Nike or adidas or UA have superior designers than the other (or at least I would assume that they each invest roughly the same into their design departments), and it's also not like the teams have to use their designers (there's plenty of examples of designs coming from in house, or 3rd party design firms.) They're ALL THE SAME. They all have their proprietary elements that they will try to work in to each design if given free reign.

If a team wants a traditional look, each company is capable of designing and implementing a traditional look. If a team doesn't care, then each company will come up with some attention-grabbing crap look that some will love and some will hate. The bottom line, is that at the end of the day THE CLIENT IS RESPONSIbLE FOR WHAT THEY PUT ON THE FIELD.

I can't stress enough how dumb some of you are, and how tired the "why can't company x get the contract" posts are, considering when "company x" gets the contract, there's just going to be posts like "why can't company y get the contract back!"

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

BBTV nailed it. I said the same thing in the NFL rumors post. Nike/UA/Adidas are contractors in their respective contracts. Nothing sees the light of day without the approval of the team/university. Blaming the brands for aesthetic atrocities is putting the blame on the wrong source.

Some of you people are quite frankly either incredibly naive or simply unintelligent. Or both.

1. There was a large contingent of people who couldn't wait for Nike to take over the NFL contract because "reebok suxxx!" and then when Nike took over, it was all "godsdamn Nike with their toilet bowl collars, mismatched colors, SEAHAWKS! - why can't Under Armour get the contract?"

To be fair, Nike fixed the toilet-seat collars (aside from a small minority of teams still under the delusion that they look good) after people complained. Meanwhile, despite widespread complaints from both fans and players, Adidas continues to design new sleeved jerseys. Another criticism of Adidas you've missed is the shockingly poor quality control. We've seen several instances of jerseys ripping and design elements peeling off during games in both college and the NBA since the Rev30 template's introduction. That's pretty embarrassing.

Just because the teams have the final say doesn't mean the manufacturer is always absolved if they make nothing but crap for the teams to choose from.

Also, the main reason I'd like to see Nike get the NBA rights is that they've done a good job with college basketball.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Toilet bowl collars lasted 1 year, mismatched colors were always a thing (Cowboys), Most agree Seahawks have a good modern look.

2. There's a contingent of people who bitch about Under Armour in the college threads for ruining certain teams looks, or "forcing" weird stripes on Auburn's pants, or some other stuff. Then there' speople who hate adidas and can't wait for UA to take over Notre Dame, or can't wait for Nike to take over a certain school, or... you get the point.

The bottom line is that you're stupid. Sorry, but you are. THE GODSDAMN TEAMS ARE TO BLAME. It's not like Nike or adidas or UA have superior designers than the other (or at least I would assume that they each invest roughly the same into their design departments), and it's also not like the teams have to use their designers (there's plenty of examples of designs coming from in house, or 3rd party design firms.) They're ALL THE SAME. They all have their proprietary elements that they will try to work in to each design if given free reign.

If a team wants a traditional look, each company is capable of designing and implementing a traditional look. If a team doesn't care, then each company will come up with some attention-grabbing crap look that some will love and some will hate. The bottom line, is that at the end of the day THE CLIENT IS RESPONSIbLE FOR WHAT THEY PUT ON THE FIELD.

I can't stress enough how dumb some of you are, and how tired the "why can't company x get the contract" posts are, considering when "company x" gets the contract, there's just going to be posts like "why can't company y get the contract back!"

i keep saying the same things. some get it, some don't. but well said

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I wonder how it would be if all of the NBA teams could choose the company they wanted to manufacture the uniforms like college teams do.

That's how it was until 1986, when Sand-Knit started making unis for all teams. Of course, merchandise just didn't exist back, so it was less of an issue when a team suddenly decided to change unis before a season, or even in midseason in some cases...

I wonder how it would be if all of the NBA teams could choose the company they wanted to manufacture the uniforms like college teams do.

That's how it was until 1986, when Sand-Knit started making unis for all teams. Of course, merchandise just didn't exist back, so it was less of an issue when a team suddenly decided to change unis before a season, or even in midseason in some cases...

The late 90s had three apparel companies make on-court apparel for teams - Starter, Nike, and Champion each had about 1/3 of the league.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I know. I meant that the NBA and even college basketball are more relevant than the national team tournaments. So why should Nike even put much effort into the jerseys for them?

I barely read anything like that when adidas releases Christmas day jerseys. I'm not saying adidas is perfect but grass is greener on the other side.

thundersignature.png

and

sport-scarf_bucs_zpsc424092b.png

BBTV, BrandMoore and others, while I agree about the on court uniforms and that teams have final say. I want Nike to take over the NBA contract because of the fan apparel. I prefer nearly all of Nikes products (hoodies, track jackets, tees, etc) to all of their competitors. I'm tired of buying nuggets gear that has a small logo with huge stripes down the arms. Nike produces far superior sportswear so I want them to take over. So many like myself don't just complain about adidas' designs and uniforms but the entire package. /my opinion

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Archived