David Beckham Exercises Option to Buy MLS Expansion Franchise

bleuet

Miami will be #22, I believe.

You're right, sorry, MIA is 22

All private funds to build a stadium.

I also think its a risky move, time will tell.

Beckham wants to build the stadium on premium county-owned waterfront property and hired a lobbyist to seek a $60 million sales tax rebate in Tallahassee. This project will not be 100% privately financed.

They are 3 years out at least so maybe they can build something stronger in the meantime.

From what I keep hearing out of them (Flight 19), Ft. Lauderdale is not Miami. They are 2 distance markets that can coexist. I'm not sure how true that is but perhaps they are right. Not sure how much they currently draw from Miami proper.

Fort Lauderdale is not Miami, that's for sure. But they are not two distinct markets. The South Florida MSA spans three counties and the only one that could claim some sort of independence from the other is West Palm Beach. Miami and Fort Lauderdale are are two economic centers that have been joined together by development into one mass. Aside from a few unique quirks, you would hardly notice you were crossing municipal and county lines between the two cities. Traditionally Broward has had a larger % of white residents than Dade, but after Hurricane Andrew that began to change and the lines blurred further.

From what I keep hearing out of them (Flight 19), Ft. Lauderdale is not Miami. They are 2 distance markets that can coexist. I'm not sure how true that is but perhaps they are right. Not sure how much they currently draw from Miami proper.

That's very, very wishful thinking. It's 30 miles of I-95 separating two (and I'd argue one) pretty bad sports markets.

I hope this works out. I've always enjoyed watching the USA's men and women's teams, but have never gotten into any of the domestic leagues. I don't like soccer enough to watch without a rooting interest, so I'd be really excited to see a Miami franchise come to fruition and prosper.

Time will tell, obviously. Location in the city is key. It's a damn misery to get around and no one uses public transportation. We're being told that the Latin population will be a major source of support for a new team. Sounds like the reasoning for putting the Marlins in Little Havana, and that didn't turn out so well.

The Marlins are also one of the worst run franchises in American sports. Can't blame people for staying away from that disaster. The main reason for moving south was to be closer to the economic center of the metro area and upper/middle class whites/Hispanics in South Dade (Brickell, Coral Gables, South Miami, Pinecrest, etc.). The area immediately around the stadium is predominantly low income Hispanics who have recently arrived to the US. Little Havana, and especially this section, has been transforming over the last decade from a predominantly Cuban majority to Central American.

One of the things the Marlins proved at Joe Robbie Stadium is that simply choosing the center point of two economic centers and assuming people from both sides would show up does not work for a sport like baseball. You have to pick one or the other and go with it. Or you could be the Panthers and pick none of the above and move away from both centers.

1997 | 2003

I think with the partners Beckham has in the Miami MLS franchise bid, this club will be successful both on and off the pitch. Miami is a hot bed for football and with the right team it could thrive. Yes I know the old Miami Fusion failed but it was successful prior to it's failure. Just wait and see. As for club colors, I do see the colors of Barca being used due to the huge Spanish and Latin population in the Miami area.

• 4 months later...

A couple few years ago, I'd see some MLS and US Men's games on TV and would see these "Miami FC" ads on those digital boards that circle the field....what was this all about? An actual team or Miami's fanatic groups hopeful of getting an MLS team?

You are correct.

Read rumblings that the filing of the Fusion trademark might be linked to the NASL's ambitions in the city, not Beckham's.

But is there evidence linking the lawyer of record on those filings to any potential NASL owners, as he is to Beckham?

Unless the answer is "yes", I would discount those rumblings as internet noise.

Look what I found....could this be the new crests and name?

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=brws_img&state=4801%3A2m1hne.5.101

ImageAgentProxy-1_zpsebc3eed7.jpg

ImageAgentProxy_zpsc4fdd244.jpg

Maybe i'm just seeing things, but does anyone else see the "FC" in the darker outer shape? The left side, including the bird head, makes an F, the right side of the outline makes a C.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

You are correct.

Read rumblings that the filing of the Fusion trademark might be linked to the NASL's ambitions in the city, not Beckham's.

But is there evidence linking the lawyer of record on those filings to any potential NASL owners, as he is to Beckham?

Unless the answer is "yes", I would discount those rumblings as internet noise.

Fair. Then again, I think the odds this thing ever gets off the ground are lower than 50/50, so...

6fQjS3M.png

Which wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Look what I found....could this be the new crests and name?

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=brws_img&state=4801%3A2m1hne.5.101

ImageAgentProxy-1_zpsebc3eed7.jpg

ImageAgentProxy_zpsc4fdd244.jpg

Maybe i'm just seeing things, but does anyone else see the "FC" in the darker outer shape? The left side, including the bird head, makes an F, the right side of the outline makes a C.

I see what you're talking about bit still think you're reaching, especially since they put an actual FC right there in the middle of the logo.

There has been that rumor if the Miami thing fails Beckham would buy into Chivas USA and join in on the re-branding to Los Angeles F.C. or S.C.

This makes more sense than a team in Miami anyways.

Archived