illwauk

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yost Ice Arena in Ann Arbor

yost.jpg

chb-01_z.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I've always loved our underused Olympic Center in Lake Placid. Home of the Miracle on Ice. There are three ice rinks in the complex, but everyone knows the most famous one.

Lake-Placid-016.jpg

I love the style of construction of the 80 rink arena.

olympic-center-lake-placid-ny-lake-placi

iq5b7nF.png

Another one just outside the limits (capacity 10,027). A place I knew very well when I was there: UConn's Gampel Pavilion.

Gampel-pavillion.jpg

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

The Pavilion at Villanova. Formerly known as the DuPont Pavilion, but name changed after John Eleuthère du Pont killed Olympic wrestler Dave Shultz.

Seats a little over 6,000, of which 2,000 is student seating (though allegedly 2,500 have crammed into those bleachers). The capacity is why it's impossible to get a ticket outside of the secondary market unless you win a student lottery, or are a big donor, or a distinguished alum. That's also why they play so many games at the Pallestra and Wells Fargo Center.

File0334.jpg56c83936c2222f7a039e66141ca68df224d61e59pavilion-300x225.jpg

pavilion3.jpg

xcorybx-20130301211419.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If it counts, the John Labatt Centre in London (Ont) is probably the best major-junior rink around. Gotta love how they incorporated the façade of the prior building:

Resize-of-JohnLabattCentreresize.jpg

ohlarenaguide.com and qmjhlarenaguide.com are full of cool smallish arenas.

It was (sadly) renamed the Budweiser Gardens just before I moved. Hate the Knights, but love that rink.

I think this might be my favorite OHL Rink. The crowds are always great and, it has a feel of a NHL rink.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

If it counts, the John Labatt Centre in London (Ont) is probably the best major-junior rink around. Gotta love how they incorporated the façade of the prior building:

Resize-of-JohnLabattCentreresize.jpg

ohlarenaguide.com and qmjhlarenaguide.com are full of cool smallish arenas.

It was (sadly) renamed the Budweiser Gardens just before I moved. Hate the Knights, but love that rink.

I think this might be my favorite OHL Rink. The crowds are always great and, it has a feel of a NHL rink.
I've always wanted to go to a game there but it's damn impossible to get tickets.

The Pavilion at Villanova. Formerly known as the DuPont Pavilion, but name changed after John Eleuthère du Pont killed Olympic wrestler Dave Shultz.

Seats a little over 6,000, of which 2,000 is student seating (though allegedly 2,500 have crammed into those bleachers). The capacity is why it's impossible to get a ticket outside of the secondary market unless you win a student lottery, or are a big donor, or a distinguished alum. That's also why they play so many games at the Pallestra and Wells Fargo Center.

File0334.jpg56c83936c2222f7a039e66141ca68df224d61e59pavilion-300x225.jpg

pavilion3.jpg

xcorybx-20130301211419.jpg

Been to a bunch of games here, always loved it. I'm glad they play less elsewhere, it's just not the same.

I wish I got to go to a Pitt game at the old Fitzgerald Field House for that reason too.

1zgyd8w.jpg

It's too hard to get tix to the pavilion so I've only been there once, and that was for the Chapelle show comedy tour.

I went to the Peterson Events Center (new Fitsgerald) and it's really nice - kind of like a jr sized pro arena. It has premium seating so it's not the same atmosphere as the pavilion or Pallestra (nothing is the same as the Pallestra) but it's still very nice.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Walter Pyramid at Long Beach State (capacity 5,000)

6454849.jpeg

Can't talk about the Pyramid without an exterior/roof shot! (not to mention one with the stands raised) It's definitely an interesting sight when driving down the 405.

pyramid1_cc_cropped.jpg

walter-pyramid-long-beach-state-gymnasiu

What do they raise the stands for - are those practice courts?

Also while the interior is very cool, I've found pyramid arenas like that and Memphis to be pretty tacky. It's one thing if you're the Luxor in Vegas, but a pyramid doesn't really fit in anywhere else.

lucas-oil-stadium-lego.jpg

So getting back to the discussion regarding the gorilla in the PAT thread, this is clearly the better solution.

Each team gets one opportunity per game to deploy a GIANT, who can be used to block kicks, or play a regular down.

Much better idea than the goriilla.

Cool thread idea.

My favorite place to play as a youth/high school hockey player was Hobart Arena in Troy, Ohio. It was an old 1940's era barn and you could feel the history as soon as you walked in. It had so much more character than the regular rinks and arenas we played in. They don't build them like this anymore.

card00178_fr.jpg

I played basketball there a couple times. Definitely a hockey arena.

Archived