MLB Combination of Eras - D-Backs in Purple and Red (March 25)

davidmiller5

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could you explain your design process with this project, David? Do you try to focus on incorporating the uniforms that were most popular, the longest-lived, or just the ones that appeal to you most?

I basically go through the team page on the mothership, look at their uniforms year-by-year on dressed to the nines, and check out their different color schemes on colorwerx. I mainly focus on what most appeals to me, but in my mind these points are somewhat connected. Popularity, long tenures, success of the team, etc. probably help certain looks appeal to me, but my main focus is on making a uniform that I like and appeals strongly to their history.

For example, when I did Houston a few weeks ago I wanted to keep the shooting star and colors of their early 2000s teams. One reason is probably that they have been so terrible with their current set and they had good playoff years with their coal and red look. I also really liked their red alternates (and their white alternates) when I was growing up. When playing video games, I would often play as the Astros in their red or white alternates almost solely because I liked these looks so much.

Another example is the Brewers. I went on a baseball tour last summer to stadiums in the upper midwest with my brothers, my wife, and my dad. When we were in Milwaukee I noticed that more fans were wearing more apparel featuring their ball-in-glove logo than their current logo. Since the local fan base is so strongly attached to that logo, I knew that I wanted to return to it.

Are the swinging a's coming soon?

Hopefully. I am with my (extended) family currently, so days are a bit unpredictable. Some days I have some time to work on it; others I don't. I am probably half done with them, but I'm not sure when they will be posted.

award%20sig.png

Another example is the Brewers. I went on a baseball tour last summer to stadiums in the upper midwest with my brothers, my wife, and my dad. When we were in Milwaukee I noticed that more fans were wearing more apparel featuring their ball-in-glove logo than their current logo. Since the local fan base is so strongly attached to that logo, I knew that I wanted to return to it.

This is one of the reasons I hope you incorporate the 1983 uniform into your White Sox concept. The jersey has seen a remarkable resurgence in popularity ever since the Sox started wearing it as a Sunday alternate last year, and the throwbacks were so well received that they've become a permanent fixture in the team's wardrobe. By all accounts the uniform wasn't very popular when it was originally used (certainly not amongst non-Sox fans) but you're likely to see just as many fans sporting the '80s look as their current look at games these days.

I'm hoping for the uni match-up illustrated here to happen in the game tomorrow!

Eh, that's not gonna happen. The Giants only wear that "SF" alt on Sunday road games. Hate to break it to you. Haha.

There was a Last year or year before where we broke that protocol in Arizona.

Here are the Athletics. The main logo was redone by the incomparable ren69. It can be found on his Updating Vintage Logos thread. If you haven't looked through his work yet, do it now.

ASLOGOS.png

ATHLETICSHOMEUNIFORMS.png

ATHLETICSAWAYUNIFORMS.png

AsElementExplanation.png

The A's are an odd mix of minimalistic jerseys (no piping) and unique elements (white shoes) and bright colors. I think they need to wear their yellow socks and green stirrups to go with this look. I also gave them a main logo that is very different from most other main logos in the league. The yellow alternate features the main logo (an update of uniforms from the 1920s. It is definitely different, but I think the A's could pull it off. The A's have a long history with wearing their fancy A on their uniforms (67 of their 114 years on the main jerseys, recently as an alternate), so they have several alternates featuring the A.

They have such a long history with their white elephant, that I felt the elephants had to be white. I also got rid of the fancy A from their current main logo and replaced it with the A from their hat.

award%20sig.png

Now THAT is a wonderful A's concept. Ren's white elephant works perfectly with the set, the 90's elephant is a nice alternate patch, and I really like the different take on the gold alt. The only complaint I have is that the road cap does not match the "A's" logo on the green alt. Other than that, I like it! Can't wait to see the Mariners!

Really nice A's concept here! However, I have a few complaints about it. I think the gray road jersey looks weird without the front number. It just seems lacking to me without it. Did you consider doing the green alt without a white outline? As for the home jerseys, maybe the elephant should be on the white jersey and the yellow should be the "A's" jersey. Despite my minor complaints, it's still another job well done!

Really nice A's concept here! However, I have a few complaints about it. I think the gray road jersey looks weird without the front number. It just seems lacking to me without it. Did you consider doing the green alt without a white outline? As for the home jerseys, maybe the elephant should be on the white jersey and the yellow should be the "A's" jersey. Despite my minor complaints, it's still another job well done!

Agreed on all points.

If you're inclined to humor me again, what if the A's move to San Jose? This is something that I would not mind a bit but other Giants fans are not too keen on.

Oh my, I forgot to add the number to the gray jersey. I didn't even notice until now. I will get that fixed.

The outline on the green jersey bothered me too but I decided to keep it for several reasons. First of all, they have had an outline since they have switched to green and gold. I also wanted to match the white alternate. I don't really want to add another hat, but the fact that the jersey and hat don't match doesn't look right. I will try it without the outline.

Since I don't have Oakland's cursive font, creating a San Jose script would be a major headache for me. The Anaheim jersey was an easy fix, this wouldn't be. So I won't be doing a San Jose jersey.

The white elephant on a white jersey wouldn't pop very much; I think it works better on the yellow jersey.

award%20sig.png

I like the yellow with the elephant badge. I think if the two home alternates switched colors then the whole set would seem less like a 'combination of eras' and more like an assortment of select uniforms from over the years set alongside each other.

Since I don't have Oakland's cursive font, creating a San Jose script would be a major headache for me. The Anaheim jersey was an easy fix, this wouldn't be. So I won't be doing a San Jose jersey.

Gotchya, onward to Seattle! (dance)

Wait...Looking at the green jersey in the 72-80 set, the A is white on yellow, not yellow on white as you have. Rationale for yours? Also, while my brain is percolating on this, the elephant would pop even more on the green jersey.

Oh my, I forgot to add the number to the gray jersey. I didn't even notice until now. I will get that fixed.

The outline on the green jersey bothered me too but I decided to keep it for several reasons. First of all, they have had an outline since they have switched to green and gold. I also wanted to match the white alternate. I don't really want to add another hat, but the fact that the jersey and hat don't match doesn't look right. I will try it without the outline.

I do remember that NDwas made a "San Jose" wordmark a couple of years ago here. If you don't mind me posting it:

newathletics2-2.png

sanjoseroad-1.png

NDwas made two versions: one with an accent mark and one without.

Accent version here: http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/79041-2012-mlb-logo-changes/?p=1719322

I really don't see the point in it though, as the "San Jose/José" era does not exist yet.

Wait...Looking at the green jersey in the 72-80 set, the A is white on yellow, not yellow on white as you have. Rationale for yours? Also, while my brain is percolating on this, the elephant would pop even more on the green jersey.

Yes, they wore white on yellow with their green A jerseys. Their green alternates used from 1994 to 2013 (with the Athletics script) used gold on white lettering, so I am also adding those jerseys into the combination.

I wanted the elephant to appear on a home uniform, and I think three home alternates is too much (except for the Marlins), so I went with the yellow.

The white elephant on a white jersey wouldn't pop very much; I think it works better on the yellow jersey.

Hmm, have you considered trying a green elephant on the white jersey, just like on the A's current sleeve patches?

I think the elephant needs to be white due to their history (see my original A's post).

Here is my update of the away uniforms. I added the number to the gray jersey and removed the outline on the green jersey's A (but left it on the back).
ATHLETICSAWAYUNIFORMSv2.png

award%20sig.png

Archived