MLB Combination of Eras - D-Backs in Purple and Red (March 25)

davidmiller5

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I second dsaline97 and Around the Horn in wishing you gave the Yankees the 1912 throwbacks as an alternate. Much like the home "Boston" jersey for the Red Sox, the alternate could be something they would wear maybe once or twice a month. Adding an alternate would emphasize the "combination of eras" theme of the project, as right now the home and road sets look identical to their current look to the untrained eye.

I like the BP jersey. Interesting idea. Also, I LOVE the updated secondary logo. The Yankees should adopt this immediately.

Not a fan of the BPs. The scripts are too thin to work on a jersey. I would've liked to see these:

ivan-nova4-540x356.jpg

image.JPG

Or even a blue jersey with a white NY would work as well.

only thing i don't like is the batting practice scripts

I was afraid the scripts would be too thin, so I already had other potential alternates made:

YANKEESLOGOSv2.png

YANKEESUNIFORMSV2.png

I decided not to go with the gray hat. Their hat is so iconic I don't think a gray option isn't necessary. As you can see, I also added a white outline around the gray BP jersey to match the white outlines on their road jersey.

These definitely look more "Yankees" and probably work better. I just wanted to see how the thin scripts would look.

award%20sig.png

I like what you've done with the Yankees. Not that you had to do much, but I like using the flared "NY" on the home uniform and both editions of the BP uniforms (original and update). Well done!

Seeing as how the Rays are coming up, are you thinking about using green somewhere in the design?

To everyone who want green, you're in luck. There will be green. That plaid-brimmed hat wasn't anywhere on my radar. Does anyone know why they wore this?

They wore plaid blazers in 2010 during one of their "themed" road trips and sported the plaid-brimmed caps for BP. They were so popular that they wore them for a game. I don't know if they were used for more than one game, but I for one think they looked pretty great.

http://www.uni-watch.com/2010/09/30/‘plaid’-is-not-an-official-team-color-—-yet/

To everyone who want green, you're in luck. There will be green. That plaid-brimmed hat wasn't anywhere on my radar. Does anyone know why they wore this?

They wore plaid blazers in 2010 during one of their "themed" road trips and sported the plaid-brimmed caps for BP. They were so popular that they wore them for a game. I don't know if they were used for more than one game, but I for one think they looked pretty great.

http://www.uni-watch.com/2010/09/30/‘plaid’-is-not-an-official-team-color-—-yet/

It was just one game. They became the unofficial BP caps for the final month of the season or so, and fans (myself included) loved them so much that they wore them in the final home game of the season. They even modified the batterman on the MLB Authentic logo on the outfield wall to replace the navy with plaid for the postseason series against Texas.

I don't know how I'd feel about it as an actual on-field uniform element, but as a BP or fashion cap, I love them. I still wear mine all the time.

That said, I think the Rays had a stronger identity in green, so I'd love to see what David does with them.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

I don't know how I'd feel about it as an actual on-field uniform element, but as a BP or fashion cap, I love them. I still wear mine all the time.

That said, I think the Rays had a stronger identity in green, so I'd love to see what David does with them.

I'm not even a Rays fan and I'd buy one of those. I love when teams try new things. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (White Sox wearing shorts).

I would have liked to see this concept with following template

http://www.mediafire...52o7b5j4rq9z605

I am using a .psd file and don't want to change things to Illustrator so close to the end of the series. I am not nearly so comfortable with Illustrator yet, but I do hope to work with it more in the future.

It was just one game. They became the unofficial BP caps for the final month of the season or so, and fans (myself included) loved them so much that they wore them in the final home game of the season. They even modified the batterman on the MLB Authentic logo on the outfield wall to replace the navy with plaid for the postseason series against Texas.

Matito, these were close to my thoughts. I saw that they used it in 2010 for a bit but it seemed an anomaly that they haven't incorporated since, so I am staying away from plaid in my design.

I am done with everything with the Rays except the element explanation; hopefully I will be able to get that done today but life is busy right now with work, and the next several (between two and five) evenings will be spent closely watching the Royals (instead of working on my laptop while a game is on like I do during most other games).

award%20sig.png

Matito, these were close to my thoughts. I saw that they used it in 2010 for a bit but it seemed an anomaly that they haven't incorporated since, so I am staying away from plaid in my design.

I didn't realistically expect you to use the plaid. As an object non-Rays fan, however, I wouldn't mind if they made it part of their normal rotation.

Here are the Rays. I decided that dropping Devil from their name shouldn't mean that the ray needed to be deemphasized. There are the Bengals, but most teams go with the less specific Tigers. Of course, they still do have a ray on there sleeve, but I wanted to restore it to a place of prominence.

RAYSLOGOS.png

RAYSUNIFORMSHOME.png

RAYSUNIFORMSROAD.png

RAYSElementExplanation.png

RaysElementExplanation2.png

There were a couple of ways I could have gone with this, but my hardest decision was on what fonts/marks to use. I'm not a big fan of any of them but, obviously, I went with their current font.

I think I did a fairly good job of combining their past two looks, but their first few years were just atrocious. Their one redeemable part was their ray logo (without the hideous gradient oval). I could perhaps be talked into using a gradient stroke like this:

raysgradient.png

The Rays wordmark now contains both the sun ray and the devil (manta, etc.) ray. I am a little concerned there is too much going on, but it the different rays at least are in opposite corners.

I decided to stay away from their fauxback look. If it would have actually been a look for them, I would have tried to incorporate it. It is kind of fun, but it seems very forced to me. If you didn't exist in the '70s, I don't feel the need to try to incorporate that look into my design.

Please let me know what you think. I am happy with the design, but could be persuaded to go in some different directions. Do I need to change anything?

award%20sig.png

Nice work with the Rays. Pretty much what I expected you would do, and you used the color scheme I hoped you'd use.

Above all I was most curious to see which wordmark and script you'd choose. On that note, something about the placement and curvature of the "Tampa Bay" script on the road gray looks a bit...off.

I do like that gradient stroke. Would be a tasteful homage to their earliest look.

Archived