MLB Combination of Eras - D-Backs in Purple and Red (March 25)

davidmiller5

In my eyes, there really aren't anything wrong with your Rays concept. The blue/green combo is really nice. Is it just me, but I think the shade of green on the light blue alt looks different from the shade of green used everywhere else for the Rays. Also, I think the light blue cap with the ray should be some kinda BP cap and instead of that, you should try some green-on-light blue cap with the "TB" on it. Just my thoughts on a really interesting combination of eras concept in the Rays.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have liked to see this concept with following template

http://www.mediafire...52o7b5j4rq9z605

I am using a .psd file and don't want to change things to Illustrator so close to the end of the series. I am not nearly so comfortable with Illustrator yet, but I do hope to work with it more in the future.

I didn't mean for you to switch templates in the middle of presenting your concept. I was simply me stating my preference, it is completely up to you to revisit this thread with a different template down the road. Regardless, this has been one of my favorite concepts. Btw, Tampa looks fantastic.

Thanks for the comments.

Nice work with the Rays. Pretty much what I expected you would do, and you used the color scheme I hoped you'd use.

Above all I was most curious to see which wordmark and script you'd choose. On that note, something about the placement and curvature of the "Tampa Bay" script on the road gray looks a bit...off.

I do like that gradient stroke. Would be a tasteful homage to their earliest look.

I think what's going on with the Tampa Bay script is that I am trying to work with what I can find from them. I couldn't download the font that they use without spending lots of money on it, so I warped the straight wordmark from the mothership. I think I didn't do enough to vertically stretch/edit/whatever-it-is-called. Is this better?

ScreenShot2014-10-15at72841PM.png

I just now saw your last post. Since I am dealing with their wordmark, I can't make all letters the same size. I would have to use a font that will be close to what they use (Hermecito A SC) and I am hesitant to use a font that isn't exact.

I am seriously considering adding the gradient stroke to the blue alternate jersey. Are there other opinions?

In my eyes, there really aren't anything wrong with your Rays concept. The blue/green combo is really nice. Is it just me, but I think the shade of green on the light blue alt looks different from the shade of green used everywhere else for the Rays. Also, I think the light blue cap with the ray should be some kinda BP cap and instead of that, you should try some green-on-light blue cap with the "TB" on it. Just my thoughts on a really interesting combination of eras concept in the Rays.

I did recheck the greens and they do match. I don't know if it is your screen or if the preponderance of columbia blue that makes it look different.

The alternate hat is a tough call. It definitely does look like a BP hat, but I do like the idea of an alternate hat with that ray on it, and it just can't go on a green hat because the ray disappears.

In summary, I am close to changing some things, but would love some more opinions. Does the alternate hat work? Should I go with a gradient stroke on the blue alternate? Is the proposed new road script good or does it need more work?

award%20sig.png

Thanks for the comments.

Nice work with the Rays. Pretty much what I expected you would do, and you used the color scheme I hoped you'd use.

Above all I was most curious to see which wordmark and script you'd choose. On that note, something about the placement and curvature of the "Tampa Bay" script on the road gray looks a bit...off.

I do like that gradient stroke. Would be a tasteful homage to their earliest look.

I think what's going on with the Tampa Bay script is that I am trying to work with what I can find from them. I couldn't download the font that they use without spending lots of money on it, so I warped the straight wordmark from the mothership. I think I didn't do enough to vertically stretch/edit/whatever-it-is-called. Is this better?

ScreenShot2014-10-15at72841PM.png

I just now saw your last post. Since I am dealing with their wordmark, I can't make all letters the same size. I would have to use a font that will be close to what they use (Hermecito A SC) and I am hesitant to use a font that isn't exact.

I am seriously considering adding the gradient stroke to the blue alternate jersey. Are there other opinions?

I did recheck the greens and they do match. I don't know if it is your screen or if the preponderance of columbia blue that makes it look different.

The alternate hat is a tough call. It definitely does look like a BP hat, but I do like the idea of an alternate hat with that ray on it, and it just can't go on a green hat because the ray disappears.

In summary, I am close to changing some things, but would love some more opinions. Does the alternate hat work? Should I go with a gradient stroke on the blue alternate? Is the proposed new road script good or does it need more work?

I think the tweaked wordmark is an improvement. It's hard to judge without seeing how it looks on the actual jersey, though. It might just be inherently impossible to make the wordmark look totally satisfying since "Tampa Bay" is asymmetrical on the uniform front.

I like the alternate hat. I think the green ray looks great on the blue cap. I forgot to mention this before, but I love the way the fin of the ray forms the bottom tail of the "s" in "Rays."

Are you only going to add the gradient to the alternate? I ask because I think it would look great on the home white, too.

Also, congrats to you and your Royals. Although I've watched them terrorize my White Sox for the last eight or so years, I have to admit that they're an extremely fun team to watch and I'm pulling for them in the WS.

Here are the Rays. I decided that dropping Devil from their name shouldn't mean that the ray needed to be deemphasized. There are the Bengals, but most teams go with the less specific Tigers. Of course, they still do have a ray on there sleeve, but I wanted to restore it to a place of prominence.

RAYSLOGOS.png

RAYSUNIFORMSHOME.png

RAYSUNIFORMSROAD.png

RAYSElementExplanation.png

RaysElementExplanation2.png

There were a couple of ways I could have gone with this, but my hardest decision was on what fonts/marks to use. I'm not a big fan of any of them but, obviously, I went with their current font.

I think I did a fairly good job of combining their past two looks, but their first few years were just atrocious. Their one redeemable part was their ray logo (without the hideous gradient oval). I could perhaps be talked into using a gradient stroke like this:

raysgradient.png

The Rays wordmark now contains both the sun ray and the devil (manta, etc.) ray. I am a little concerned there is too much going on, but it the different rays at least are in opposite corners.

I decided to stay away from their fauxback look. If it would have actually been a look for them, I would have tried to incorporate it. It is kind of fun, but it seems very forced to me. If you didn't exist in the '70s, I don't feel the need to try to incorporate that look into my design.

Please let me know what you think. I am happy with the design, but could be persuaded to go in some different directions. Do I need to change anything?

Not a fan of the Ray on 4 hats. 1 yes, would like to see an alt black with the ray on it.

I think I did a fairly good job of combining their past two looks, but their first few years were just atrocious. Their one redeemable part was their ray logo (without the hideous gradient oval). I could perhaps be talked into using a gradient stroke like this:

raysgradient.png

I believe this is a clever way of paying homage to the gradient oval without actually using it. I like it.

raysgradient.png

I believe this is a clever way of paying homage to the gradient oval without actually using it. I like it.

I actually think the gradient would work well on the white jersey...Not sure about the blue one, though.

raysgradient.png

I actually think the gradient would work well on the white jersey...Not sure about the blue one, though.

I agree. Also, for some reason I thought the Rays used a sleeveless jersey for a longer period. I was expecting this color scheme with a sleeveless jersey, but this Rays concept looks good regardless.

Any chance we see an update on the Rays soon?

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. The gradient outline will make it at least as an official mark (I will at least try it on a jersey too). I hope to get an update over the weekend, but I won't make any promises. This week has been terribly busy and tonight will be very long. I am also working on a new logo for the school where I teach, and that does have priority over this thread because it is on more of a timetable.

award%20sig.png

I know the Rays aren't finished yet, but I wanted to share what I think would be a good recipe for the Blue Jays:

- Home uniform: Their current set (based on their 1989-'96 look) with split-style "Blue Jays" script. Dark blue alternate, powder blue alternate

- Road uniform: Gray with 'Toronto' block script from their 1997-2003 uniforms, minus the red inline
- Cap: Dark blue with blue jay logo; alternate cap with white front panel and blue jay logo

Ok. I finally have an update. I decided to rework the Tampa Bay wordmark so that it is arched similarly to their 01-04 wordmark. I also thickened the outlines. I decided to try the gradient stroke on the blue jersey. I don't know that I'm ready to put it on their normal jersey, but I wanted to try it on an alternate. The Rays are a fun organization, so I thought it might work (although with Maddon leaving, we'll see if the loose, laid back culture continues).

RAYSLOGOSv2.png

RAYSUNIFORMSHOMEv2.png

RAYSUNIFORMSROADv2.png

award%20sig.png

Whatever you did to tweak the "Tampa Bays" script completely solved the problem I had with it before. The gradient looks great on the blue top, and I still wish you had put it on the home whites, but I understand not wanting to overuse it.

Can't wait to see you bring it all home with Toronto!

Any hint what direction you might take with Toronto?

Toronto is tough for me because they switched back to their classic design three years ago. Looking through their history, so many of their current elements are the best they have ever been. This is the best blue jay, main logo, hat logo, etc.; this is their best font. So I am struggling to figure out how to incorporate previous elements to truly combine eras.

I should also mention that right now my designing time has been focused on creating a new logo for the school I teach/coach at. I need to have the logo done in the next week or two to incorporate it into some new uniforms.

award%20sig.png

Any hint what direction you might take with Toronto?

Toronto is tough for me because they switched back to their classic design three years ago. Looking through their history, so many of their current elements are the best they have ever been. This is the best blue jay, main logo, hat logo, etc.; this is their best font. So I am struggling to figure out how to incorporate previous elements to truly combine eras.

I should also mention that right now my designing time has been focused on creating a new logo for the school I teach/coach at. I need to have the logo done in the next week or two to incorporate it into some new uniforms.

Perhaps you could combine the Black jays era with the T-Bird one then. Two controvirsal looks but could work, if you wanted to go for a new style. Also you could do either pullovers or vests for the Jays.... as they've worn both. Just a few ideas.

On the last page I suggested some ideas for Toronto. Basically keep their current set, add a powder blue top as an alternate, a white front-paneled BP cap, and use the block "TORONTO" script from their late '90s-early 2000s road uniforms on the road grays.

Yep. I recently started watching that thread. I've enjoyed following your progress.

Archived