MLB Combination of Eras - D-Backs in Purple and Red (March 25)

davidmiller5

I guess this officially ends this concept series. I have been very honored by all the attention you have paid to this thread. I would have never imagined that this series would have thirty people following the series, over 146,000 views, and nearly 750 posts. I tried to put time and effort into the all the designs, and I'm glad that so many people kept checking it out and giving feedback.

Here is a compilation of all the main logos, hats, and jerseys in my redesigns.

NLLOGOS.png

ALLOGOS.png

Hats1.png

Hats2.png

Hats3.png

award%20sig.png

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I'm not dead. And neither is this thread.

David, I have an odd request. Could you put together a black and pink version of your Mets concept? The idea comes from this recent article that suggests the Mets nearly wore that color scheme back when they first came into the league. The black would replace the blue and the pink would replace the orange. I really love how that black and pink logo looks in the article and am curious to see how the whole uniform set would look.

Pink_Black_Mets.png

I did a quick edit of my Mets' uniforms. I just did Color Replace and some paint bucket fills so it is a little rough. Sorry, but I didn't want to spend much time but was happy to do a quick recolor.

MetsUniformsinpink.png

I have been working some on the Indians when I have time, but I'm not yet happy with what I am coming up with. I'll tinker some more and may post some potential logos to get some feedback before too long.

There's only one logical thing to do here...pink alternate! :D

ROYALSLOGOS.png

ROYALSHOMEUNIFORMS.png

ROYALSROADUNIFORMS.png

RoyalsElementExplanation.png

First of all, I am a big Royals fan. (Exciting time to be a Royals fan. Hopefully they can make the playoffs for the first time in my lifetime. They won the World Series 16 months before I was born.) I am probably biased, but I think they have one of the best looking uniform sets in the league. I love nearly everything about their look, but I did tweak them. Most people probably don't know this, but the Royals actually still have a drop shadow on the KC in their main and alternate logos. So I decided to go back to the drop-shadow days but substitute gold for the black. I added drop-shadows throughout...even to the hat. I don't know how it will go over. I also really like their original (brighter) royal blue and gold, so I went back to those colors. (I also changed the hat squatchee to blue.) The brighter blue and the drop-shadows also help differentiate them from the Dodgers, which is the biggest complaint I hear about the Royals' uniforms.

I know lots of people want the Royals to go back to powder blue on the road, but I just don't like brightly colored pants. So no, I won't give the Royals blue pants. Sorry.

I switched the powder blue to the Kansas City script, even though it is a home alternate. I know it is unconventional, but I like the look. I also went with the KC script on the powder blue because I would really want to own this exact jersey.

At first I wasn't sure I liked the new royal blue alternates, but they have really grown on me. I tweaked it (added the drop-shadow, etc.) but mainly left it unchanged. The alternate hat is a reverse of their powder blue hats they wore in 2010-11.

Coco, I did try out looks that incorporated the Monarchs, but I couldn't get anything that I really liked. The split KC hats and jerseys that they wore worked because they used thick block letters. All of the Royals' scripts and logos are too thin to make it a good look. I also thought about doing the overlapping K and C hat, but it still didn't work too well. I also don't want to do throwback alternates that are completely different from the rest of their visual package.

Thanks for completely ignoring the dreadful BFBS that they had in the early aughts.

It's a beautiful thing seeing all the team logos, caps and jerseys alongside each other. It's been a true pleasure following the evolution of this series and I hope I offered some helpful comments and criticisms along the way. I look forward to your future projects and concepts!

It's great seeing all the concepts in this series together! I've loved following this series and all the work you've done for these teams (especially the Giants, Braves, Royals, Diamondbacks, and Rockies). Congratulations on finishing the series, and I can't wait to see whatever you have planned next!

Thanks again to all for the kind comments.

This whole series was great. Amazing job...any thoughts on doing the NHL, NBA or NFL?

Love all the compilations and congrats on finishing this amazing series!

Hope you do some other crossover concept (NBA, perhaps) one day.

I have thought about maybe doing another league, but I don't think I will commit to that right now. I will keep designing, and some ideas are rattling around in my brain, but I haven't finalized what I will do next. I do think I want to do something else and not another combination of eras redesign next.

award%20sig.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey man... saw this as it was bumped up. Wow. I'm loving the majority of the designs, the D-Backs being my favourite.

Thanks; I had a lot of fun doing the series.

Hi David,

Is there any chance you could do a mock-up of your Orioles concept with khaki replacing the black? I've been thinking lately that orange and khaki would be a great look for them.

I guess I'll indulge this request. I didn't want to spend much time on it, but here is the black jersey in khaki. I kept some black outlines to keep from having the orange and khaki run together.

orioles%20khaki.png

Personally, I'm not a fan.

award%20sig.png

I actually think that looks pretty great, David. The only thing that isn't completely sitting well is the all khaki cap with orange brim; I think if the front panel was white (as is the Orioles' actual cap) and the sides/back were khaki, it would be much more effective.

• 4 weeks later...

Just discovered this thread tonight, and I have to say, Great work!

I am a Padres fan, and I follow the whole league, but especially the NL West. I have some favorites of your redesigns. Love what you did with the Phillies, with the return to maroon and light blue, and the reintroduction of Phil and Phyllis! Love that! The Brewers are great too, with reincorporating green into their scheme.

As for the NL West, I like your take on the Diamondbacks. I think they made a mistake by completely dumping their original look, and going with red. Like the use of turquoise there :) The team that I was most surprised to like was the Rockies. Those just jumped off the screen at me :) They are a team that I didn't think could be improved on much, but you did it. The jersey fonts remind me of something you might see at a mountain resort, and the swooshes remind of ski tracks. I like that they have stayed the course on their colors since 1993, and you improved them immensely.

As for the Padres, I am a fan who has long been disappointed by their lack of creativity, and their bland blue and white brand. (sand apparently was even too "jazzy" for them to use) :) Love the return of brown, paired with light blue.

Again, great work !

Hi David,

Having looked back through this topic from before I got involved in it, I noticed a few alternate ideas that were discussed which I would love to see posted when you have time. The first is a powder blue road alternate for the Cardinals, and the second is your original color scheme for the Dbacks (red and purple).

• 1 month later...

Hi David,

Having looked back through this topic from before I got involved in it, I noticed a few alternate ideas that were discussed which I would love to see posted when you have time. The first is a powder blue road alternate for the Cardinals, and the second is your original color scheme for the Dbacks (red and purple).

I'm not going to give St. Louis powder blue; to me it seems really odd for the Cardinals to have gotten on board on that trend (PBFPBS?). It just doesn't fit their identity, like when the Royals and A's added black. (Also, as a Royals fan, I don't want to share powder blue with the in-state rival.)

But I had a bit of time to make the Diamond Backs in purple and red. I basically did straight color swaps: purple for teal; red for black. Color balance is obviously an issue since they are much closer in color and their black values (I can't remember that term right now), but it is fun for something different.

DIAMONDBACKS%20LOGOS%20purple.png

DIAMONDBACKS%20HOME%20UNIFORMS%20p.png

DIAMONDBACKS%20AWAY%20UNIFORMS%20p_1.png

award%20sig.png

Archived