MLB Combination of Eras - D-Backs in Purple and Red (March 25)

davidmiller5

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the kind feedback.

Nice job on the Rangers here! Really no complaints from me.

Although I did notice that you left out the Texas flag logo on this set.

I decided that since my set has an outline of the state the flag wasn't necessary. I was also hesitant to add another element from their current look.

Perfecto!

Couple of interesting teams next: Chicago and Cleveland!

There has been a lot of interest in the first few teams in the AL Central, especially the White Sox. I am working on them currently and should be done with them in the next few days.

Love this series! Looking forward to seeing my KC Royals. Just hoping for my Royals you don't use black from their early '00s days or change the colors to something like purple and gold. But it would be cool if you incorporate parts of the Kansas City Monarchs from the Negro Leagues into it. :)

The Royals are going to be tough for me because I absolutely love their current look (but I'm also a Royals fan so I might be biased). I will look at Monarchs logos and uniforms to see if I can incorporate bits into the Royals' look.

award%20sig.png

The Royals are going to be tough for me because I absolutely love their current look (but I'm also a Royals fan so I might be biased). I will look at Monarchs logos and uniforms to see if I can incorporate bits into the Royals' look.

One idea I had for the Royals is to take their new road alternate and break up the letters of the "KC" logo by putting the "K" on the right breast and the "C" on the left to mimic the style of the KC Monarchs uniform.

For the White Sox I basically combined their current logo with their early 80s logo. They have such a long history it was hard to pick just these two, but I think the team that Bill Veeck owned needs to look unlike any other team in the big leagues. This look does that while keeping their famous calligraphy-style Sox mark.

WHITESOXLOGOS.png

WHITESOXHOMEUNIFORMS.png

WHITESOXROADUNIFORMS.png

WhiteSoxElementExplanation.png

Many probably won't like the white socks, but I think the White Sox should wear white socks, and it also helps combine eras. The striping helps it from being too bland.

Not too much else to add. The wing on the alternate logo is taken from a Ren redesign. Thanks, also, to coco1997 for sharing some of his ideas with me.

Also, no, I will not give them shorts.

Just for fun I made them a halfway to St. Patrick's Day uni. (This idea came from coco. Thanks.)

uniformirish.png

award%20sig.png

Really nice job with the White Sox here! The Old English "Sox" cap logo is a brilliant combo.

As good as the road unis are, no "Chicago" road script?

And I take all these jerseys are pullovers.

Overall, this set is well-done and the St. Patrick's Day uni is pretty cool too.

BEHANCE | PORTFOLIO 

I appreciate that you want to emphasize the '80s, but it's a shame that you moved away entirely from pinstripes. The ChiSox pinstripes are one of the cleanest looks in MLB today. Right now, this set looks like a combination of only two eras: the '80s with the '90s-present day colors and script. Given the South Siders' long and diverse uniform history, it feels like you're glossing over several decades' worth of interesting and iconic uniform designs.

First off, if you're going to use the '80s uniform as the template for the entire set, you're really limiting the number of eras you can incorporate into the concept. I think you should do what you did with the Astros' tequila sunrise pullover and have the '80s uniform be a home alternate or something worn only for select games. The pullovers are nice, but the black one is just too much. If you must have the calligraphy-style "Sox" script on the chest, you should enlarge the "o" and "x" so they don't look lowercase next to the "S." Currently, it's throwing off the balance of the whole jersey.

The Olde English "Sox" script is classic, but if you tweaked it just a bit, you could incorporate another era: '71-75. The angles of the letters differ just enough that the change would be obvious to the trained eye.

The interlocking diagonal "Sox" logo should make an appearance somewhere, IMO. Some iteration of it has been worn every decade since the 1930s but the '80s. You could even use the current (or mid '70s) "Sox" logo with the bat and ball from their '32-35 logo.

I agree with TheGiantsFan in that you should probably have a road set with "Chicago" on it. Given that you've embraced the white/gray/black scheme, this would be the perfect opportunity to give them a road gray with cursive white script a la the '69-'70 set, which sounds strange in concept but looks great in practice.

Lastly, I don't think the horizontal "Sox" script looks very good on the cap; a sock or even just the "S" would make for a better logo. Or, if you decided to use the cursive "Chicago" script from the aforementioned '69-'70 set, you could give them a cap with a cursive "C" logo, and in doing so incorporate an element from yet another era, '87-90.

Another possibility for an alternate cap would be a version of the new batting practice cap they debuted this year, which would fit the '80s theme you're running with.

Having said all that, I do like the St. Patty's alternate. :) The white socks and flying sock logo are great to see, as well. I see one logistical problem, though: With the '80s-inspired stripes that stretch across the sleeves of every uniform in this set, where would the flying sock logo actually appear?

Good:

• The White Sox wearing white socks
  • The St Paddy's day alt
  • The pants
The rest just does not mesh too well.

Edit: Yeah, ScoffingYayap, Adding red would incorporate a couple of other eras.

I agree about the red. It's the only color I would ever want the Sox to consider adding to their current look. They wore it heavily in the '50s, '70s, and '80s.

I think I have a recipe for you:

Colors: Black, Red, and Silver. Black replaces Blue in any non-black era I refer to

Home and Road: Beach Blanket (1982-1986) template for the jersey, adding '87-'89 caps.

Home: 1982-1986 jersey with silver outlines on the word mark, numbers. and names. Thin silver stripes flanking the red ones on the white side of the center stripe complex.

Home Alt: 1951-1963 throwbacks

Road: Straiten this wordmark, Silver trimmed White letters in the black stripe, thin white stripes flanking the red ones on the grey side of the center stripe complex.

No need for a 2nd Alt

The best part about the ChiSox concept is that alternate sock logo. LOVE IT.

However, the Old English "Sox" spread out like that just doesn't work to me. Interlocked it looks great, but it just looks strange spread out horizontally. Maybe there is just too much space between the letters.

87Redskins.png

Thanks for all the feedback. This is definitely more out there, and there are some things I'm not completely satisfied with. I'll go through some of my decision-making process for some of the decisions I made.

Really nice job with the White Sox here! The Old English "Sox" cap logo is a brilliant combo.

As good as the road unis are, no "Chicago" road script?

And I take all these jerseys are pullovers.

Overall, this set is well-done and the St. Patrick's Day uni is pretty cool too.

I thought about adding a Chicago script but ended up deciding against it. There is a prevailing sentiment on these boards that every team needs to always wear city name on the road and mascot name at home, and while I usually follow these protocols I want some variety. I am willing to try out some Chicago-script options, though (see below).

Yes, these are all pullovers. As I said in my original White Sox post, I want the White Sox to have a very different looking uniform set because of their wacky history (if you don't know who Bill Veeck is, google him). They would be the only pullover jersey team in the league (the only other team with a pullover so far is the Astros' sunrise alternate).

I appreciate that you want to emphasize the '80s, but it's a shame that you moved away entirely from pinstripes. The ChiSox pinstripes are one of the cleanest looks in MLB today. Right now, this set looks like a combination of only two eras: the '80s with the '90s-present day colors and script. Given the South Siders' long and diverse uniform history, it feels like you're glossing over several decades' worth of interesting and iconic uniform designs.

First off, if you're going to use the '80s uniform as the template for the entire set, you're really limiting the number of eras you can incorporate into the concept. I think you should do what you did with the Astros' tequila sunrise pullover and have the '80s uniform be a home alternate or something worn only for select games. The pullovers are nice, but the black one is just too much. If you must have the calligraphy-style "Sox" script on the chest, you should enlarge the "o" and "x" so they don't look lowercase next to the "S." Currently, it's throwing off the balance of the whole jersey.

The Olde English "Sox" script is classic, but if you tweaked it just a bit, you could incorporate another era: '71-75. The angles of the letters differ just enough that the change would be obvious to the trained eye.

The interlocking diagonal "Sox" logo should make an appearance somewhere, IMO. Some iteration of it has been worn every decade since the 1930s but the '80s. You could even use the current (or mid '70s) "Sox" logo with the bat and ball from their '32-35 logo.

I agree with TheGiantsFan in that you should probably have a road set with "Chicago" on it. Given that you've embraced the white/gray/black scheme, this would be the perfect opportunity to give them a road gray with cursive white script a la the '69-'70 set, which sounds strange in concept but looks great in practice.

Lastly, I don't think the horizontal "Sox" script looks very good on the cap; a sock or even just the "S" would make for a better logo. Or, if you decided to use the cursive "Chicago" script from the aforementioned '69-'70 set, you could give them a cap with a cursive "C" logo, and in doing so incorporate an element from yet another era, '87-90.

Another possibility for an alternate cap would be a version of the new batting practice cap they debuted this year, which would fit the '80s theme you're running with.

Having said all that, I do like the St. Patty's alternate. :) The white socks and flying sock logo are great to see, as well. I see one logistical problem, though: With the '80s-inspired stripes that stretch across the sleeves of every uniform in this set, where would the flying sock logo actually appear?

Ok, I knew that I would get some good feedback from you, coco.

Your complaint that this is a combination of only two eras right now is a very valid point. I went all-in on the mid-80s look (which is their most original look, in my opinion), but it did definitely limit my options for incorporating other eras.

The issues with the horizontal Sox across the jersey are several. I did originally have interest in using their early-70s Sox script, but I don't like it as much as their current script (it is more wonky). Also, the separation of the letters would become quite an issue. I don't have great logo editing skills, so I was very grateful to find a vector that had unlinked letters (and I couldn't find that with their 70s calligraphy font). Then I planned on making the o and x match the S in height, but by making the last two letters bigger it really destroyed the letter weights, see below:

ScreenShot2014-07-15at35451PM.png

I did try to thin out the o and x, and it looked better but I still don't really like it.

ScreenShot2014-07-15at35337PM.png

I would love to do an away jersey with Chicago written in the same font as the Sox mark, but that font doesn't exist as far as I know. I couldn't even find anything that even closely resembled the S. If anyone has this font or knows of one very similar, please let me know. I will try out some Chicago-script road jerseys including a cursive one.

Would the horizontal Sox look better on the hat if it weren't spaced out? (More on that later, hold on.)

Yes, the flying-wing sock logo currently doesn't appear on the uniform set, but would be a part of their logo set.

I think I have a recipe for you:

Colors: Black, Red, and Silver. Black replaces Blue in any non-black era I refer to

Home and Road: Beach Blanket (1982-1986) template for the jersey, adding '87-'89 caps.

Home: 1982-1986 jersey with silver outlines on the word mark, numbers. and names. Thin silver stripes flanking the red ones on the white side of the center stripe complex.

Home Alt: 1951-1963 throwbacks

Road: Straiten this wordmark, Silver trimmed White letters in the black stripe, thin white stripes flanking the red ones on the grey side of the center stripe complex.

No need for a 2nd Alt

I decided that I wanted the White Sox to only use white, black, and silver. I think I am getting red and blue fatigue (thank you, MLB). Black, red, and silver is a good looking color scheme, but I like the simplicity of a monochrome/grayscale team.

As I said above, I would love to have a road jersey with Chicago in the same calligraphy font, but that doesn't seem to exist. The wordmark you suggest me straighten is the closest thing the White Sox have used, and I will try out this suggestion.

The best part about the ChiSox concept is that alternate sock logo. LOVE IT.

However, the Old English "Sox" spread out like that just doesn't work to me. Interlocked it looks great, but it just looks strange spread out horizontally. Maybe there is just too much space between the letters.

Yes, the spread-out Sox bothered me to some extent, but I went with it anyway. I wanted it to fill up more of the front of the jersey so I spaced it out. It also became an issue with the main logo (the batter ran into the S). But the more I look at it, the more I think the space needs to be cut down between the letters. One way to get around the problem with the main logo is to move up the o and x, like this:

ScreenShot2014-07-15at35302PM.png

I'm not sure how it would look inside the stripes, but it works with the main logo:

ScreenShot2014-07-15at35844PM.png

All this to say (if anyone is still reading) that tweaks will be coming, but I'm not ready to give up on the main premise of these uniforms (the stripes and the color scheme).

award%20sig.png

Archived