MLB Combination of Eras - D-Backs in Purple and Red (March 25)

davidmiller5

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the comments. I'm glad you like the set. I am going to stick with the black (or really dark gray) and red.

Home uniform needs brick colored socks. I also thinks that there's too much yellow on the brick jersey. Maybe try toning it down some.

Here's how the home set looks with red socks. I like it; should I change the undershirt to red too?

ScreenShot2014-06-04at91433AM.png

You ought to go the full nine and make the belt and undershirt red.

Any idea which team you're going to tackle next?

He's been going alphabetical, so it's the Los Angeles Angles of Anaheim.

Speaking of which, while it would break alphabetization, I'd like to see them go back to being called the Anaheim Angels. Any chance of that, David?

Yes, the Angels are next. I have thought about going back to Anaheim, but I think I'm going to leave them as Los Angeles. They have actually now played more years as the Los Angeles Angels as the Anaheim Angels (14 to 8). They were the California Angels for 32 years, for whatever that's worth. In the end, I am deciding to leave it because the organization obviously wants to be associated with LA.

Understandable, but could you please humor me with an "Anaheim" version of whatever road grey you come up with? Thanks.

I decided to tweak the Astros' home uniform. They now get red socks and undershirts. I decided to leave the belt black because I like how it matches the star's tail. I also decided to make the pants piping red instead of black. The away uniform set will keep its black undershirt, socks, and piping.

HOMEUNIFORMSv2.png

award%20sig.png

I tried out some other ideas for the Phillies. I tried replacing the baseball with a star, I tried using the P logo from the 80s, and I tried curving the top right of the P, but I didn't like how any of them looked. I then tried going back to the wordmark without the baseball, but even that didn't look right to me. In the end, I came to like the old-style P with the baseball in it. So here is the concept.

PHILADELPHIALOGOS.png

PHILLIESUNIFORMS.png

PhilliesElementExplanation.png

I decided not to give the Phillies pinstripes. They didn't use pinstripes for the first 50 years of their existence (with one or two years as an exception). I didn't use any other uniform stylings from before 1950, so the lack of pinstripes is a nod to those years. The uniforms are based on the current road uniforms with the wide cuff and pant piping. I also use the current NOB and number font and placement. The Phillies' away uniforms were this same blue-gray color from 1970-72. I though it was a good way to have a different colored away uniform without being too bright or garish.

The red alternate is based on their 1970-91 uniforms (especially their '79 red alternates). The blue alternate wouldn't be worn on the road because the bright blue would clash with the blue-gray road pants.

These are cute to say the least! For some reason, when you made the hurricane comment about the baseball inside the "P", it amused me greatly! These are innovative! I look forward to seeing more right now while I have my Saturday morning breakfast! Really awesome and unique idea, and your artwork is truly amazing!

Here are the Brewers. I won't say too much since the designs do the talking. I did take Giants 1883's advice and take the early 90's wordmark with a head of barley incorporated. There are a few elements I'm not sure about, so I'm curious to see what your response will be.

BREWERSLOGOS.png

MBHomeUniformSet.png

MBAwayUniformSet.png

BrewersElementExplanation.png

I decided to use their current font even though I don't love it. It is a unique font, and I have a tendency to use those to help differentiate their look. Also, I'm not incorporating too much from their current era, so that was another way to help combine eras.

While also not a fan of the green, I totally understand why you included it, as your premise was to include and/or incorporate all of the previous colors/styles. Outside of my lukewarm feeling toward the green, this is still a rock solid gorgeous set! The wheat sheaf adorning the cap front emulating the 1969 Seattle Pilots "scrambled eggs" motif is utterly brilliant! Even with the green included, this is an amazing set! I admire and envy your artistic skills :) Looking forward to seeing even more now!!!

Here is my update for the Rockies.

ROCKIESLOGOSv2.png

rockieshomeuniformsv2.png

rockiesawayuniformsv2.png

I added a peak that I assume was hiding behind the ball; thanks to Giants1883 for pointing that out. The angle of the mountain below the ball doesn't match the angle above the ball, so I think a peak is hidden. I also took TheGiantsFan's suggestion to double stroke the mountain on the hat. I also took BTL and Giants1883's suggestions for placement and size of the hat logo. What do you think of the new hats? I'm not sure about the purple bill with the purple mountain on top of it, and I'm not sure if the logo is too low on the hat. Here are different angles of how the hats would look.

56fea7a92558469cb15e303c7b4f4e8f.png4910d639daa3473099611c54a9bfd8fc.png

I also took away the pinstripes on the gray uniforms and added standard piping to the jerseys. I added numbers to the front of the jerseys, but I decided not to add capital letters to the scripts and kept the scripts slanted. I kept both of these to keep from deviating too far from the original Denver Bears' scripts that I based these on.

What do you think of the updates? Specifically, what do you think of the silver piping on the black jersey? Is it too many colors on one jersey?

The cap logo is quite unique to say the least. While I love that you incorporated the "C" from the Colorado state flag, one thing that I dislike is the fact that on the uniforms themselves, the "c" in Colorado and the "r" in Rockies are in lowercase. The cap logo would take some getting used to, but I love that it's unique. I'm really enjoying all these immensely!!!

While also not a fan of the green, I totally understand why you included it, as your premise was to include and/or incorporate all of the previous colors/styles. Outside of my lukewarm feeling toward the green, this is still a rock solid gorgeous set! The wheat sheaf adorning the cap front emulating the 1969 Seattle Pilots "scrambled eggs" motif is utterly brilliant! Even with the green included, this is an amazing set! I admire and envy your artistic skills :) Looking forward to seeing even more now!!!

David posted an updated version of the Brewers set that uses white lettering on the front, which makes the green work much, much better than that first attempt.

Any chance you'll be incorporating any of the Angels' Disney era uniforms into your Angels concept? The vests and pinstripes were awful, but I always liked the wing that was attached to the "A" on the "Angels" wordmark.

wdm1219inpenna, I'm glad you enjoyed looking through this series.

Coco, I have finished the Angels uniforms and logos, I just haven't put everything together in a presentation. I hope I will be able to get the concept posted tomorrow, but I have some other things going on right now. Since I should be posting the concept soon, I won't give anything away at this point.

award%20sig.png

ANGELSLOGOS.png

AngelsHOMEUNIFORMS.png

AngelsAWAYUNIFORMS.png

ANGELSElementExplanation.png

A few more notes: I emphasized navy on the road because the Angels wore red letters/numbers at home and navy on the road from 1961-70 and 1993-96. They actually never wore red hats until 2002, so I wanted to give them navy hats on the road (and I had to bring back the halo hat from the '60s). I also used the shade of navy they used from the '60s-'90s.

Their current font is an update of sales they wore in the '60s and '90s, so I just removed the second outline and drop shadow to combine the eras.

The Los Angeles script on the navy jersey is an update of their original away jersey, but I didn't want to use the Los Angeles script on the gray jersey because they have featured their Angels scripts since 1965.

Their Disney era is almost completely unusable; the only thing I felt that I could use was the wing.

I decided to use opposite color piping and belts to try to improve the color balance in the uniforms, but I'm not sure how much I like it. Let me know what you think.

award%20sig.png

I like it, but I am a big fan of the 1971 logo.

angelshalosmall.gif

I was hoping for it :( to be somewhere in this set, but I do like the new A logo you made.

Just curious. Outside of the '71 Angels and the '78-'84 Padres, can anyone think of other teams have used all lower case characters?

The Angels used it both on the hat and jerseys in '71 and then switched to the capital A on the hat in '72 creating an odd miss match.

The Padres just on the jerseys, using the interlocking cap "SD" on their hat.

Any other instances. Thinking specifically MLB, but maybe the 4 majors.

angelshalosmall.gif

I was hoping for it :( to be somewhere in this set, but I do like the new A logo you made.

Just curious. Outside of the '71 Angels and the '78-'84 Padres, can anyone think of other teams have used all lower case characters?

The Angels used it both on the hat and jerseys in '71 and then switched to the capital A on the hat in '72 creating an odd miss match.

The Braves??????

:wub:(dance):boogie:(bow):jawdrop::censored:(sleepz):puke::woot::sleeping::hockeysmiley::therock::oops:

I think I like smilies too much!

angelshalosmall.gif

The Braves??????

Of course! 1972-1980! The hat Hank Aaron wore when he broke Ruth's HR record. Thanks!

Archived