MLB Combination of Eras - D-Backs in Purple and Red (March 25)

davidmiller5

Do Tampa Bay Rays and Montreal Expos next . Note for the Rays do not make it green.

He's doing these in order. I believe by city, which would make the Rays second to last. I'm pretty sure they'll be green too.

Edit: oh, I see that you're new. Makes sense.

He has been going by divisions and then by city. Montreal Expos are now the Washington Nationals, and he finished the NL a few months ago. Here is his Washington Senators/Montreal Expos/Washington Nationals combination of eras: http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/97173-mlb-combination-of-eras-white-sox-posted/?p=2184683

JeKhnr9.png

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the Montreal Exops aren't there anymore, I just want him to do the Expos. I ask for Expos so I can have the Expos jersey and hat the way he does it because better then anything else I seen out there. For the Rays I said with no green because I hate how they look with green.

I know the Montreal Exops aren't there anymore, I just want him to do the Expos. I ask for Expos so I can have the Expos jersey and hat the way he does it because better then anything else I seen out there. For the Rays I said with no green because I hate how they look with green.

Did you even look at the post that mgdmhl posted? David combined the Expos with the Nationals. As for the Rays, I think the majority would like to see green.

You're doing an amazing job with this project, is really like what you did with the Astros, Dbacks, and Brewers.

Can't wait to see what you have in mind for Tampa Bay, unless i missed it already.

The issues with the horizontal Sox across the jersey are several. I did originally have interest in using their early-70s Sox script, but I don't like it as much as their current script (it is more wonky). Also, the separation of the letters would become quite an issue. I don't have great logo editing skills, so I was very grateful to find a vector that had unlinked letters (and I couldn't find that with their 70s calligraphy font). Then I planned on making the o and x match the S in height, but by making the last two letters bigger it really destroyed the letter weights, see below:

ScreenShot2014-07-15at35451PM.png

I'm not a big fan of the calligraphy-style script on the '80s jersey, but this modification seems like a good compromise.

Would the horizontal Sox look better on the hat if it weren't spaced out? (More on that later, hold on.)

I still think a good solution for the hat dilemma would be to use a re-colored version of their new batting practice caps. It would fit with the '80s theme and incorporate the Batterman logo which is part of this logo set but does not currently appear on any of the uniforms.

For the White Sox I basically combined their current logo with their early 80s logo. They have such a long history it was hard to pick just these two, but I think the team that Bill Veeck owned needs to look unlike any other team in the big leagues. This look does that while keeping their famous calligraphy-style Sox mark.

WHITESOXLOGOS.png

WHITESOXHOMEUNIFORMS.png

WHITESOXROADUNIFORMS.png

WhiteSoxElementExplanation.png

Many probably won't like the white socks, but I think the White Sox should wear white socks, and it also helps combine eras. The striping helps it from being too bland.

Not too much else to add. The wing on the alternate logo is taken from a Ren redesign. Thanks, also, to coco1997 for sharing some of his ideas with me.

Also, no, I will not give them shorts.

Just for fun I made them a halfway to St. Patrick's Day uni. (This idea came from coco. Thanks.)

uniformirish.png

Once again great work, but the secondary hat looks a bit awkward to me. I would prefer swapping the colors on the 82-86 hat, red for grey and blue for black with your lettering.

I've been trying to picture Giants1883's suggestion of using that late '70s "Chicago" script on the road uni and I'm really getting on board with the idea. I hope you decide to use it, as it's an underrated look (although the same can't be said of the uniform itself) and you would be incorporating another decade into the concept.

For the White Sox I basically combined their current logo with their early 80s logo. They have such a long history it was hard to pick just these two, but I think the team that Bill Veeck owned needs to look unlike any other team in the big leagues. This look does that while keeping their famous calligraphy-style Sox mark.

WHITESOXLOGOS.png

WHITESOXHOMEUNIFORMS.png

WHITESOXROADUNIFORMS.png

WhiteSoxElementExplanation.png

Many probably won't like the white socks, but I think the White Sox should wear white socks, and it also helps combine eras. The striping helps it from being too bland.

Not too much else to add. The wing on the alternate logo is taken from a Ren redesign. Thanks, also, to coco1997 for sharing some of his ideas with me.

Also, no, I will not give them shorts.

Just for fun I made them a halfway to St. Patrick's Day uni. (This idea came from coco. Thanks.)

uniformirish.png

As a Sox fan I hate this one. while you got it right going with the early 80's softball style jerseys i dont like the Sox spelled out omn this one. that being said I will use it on OOTP after Pwal makes it. i was hoping that you might have incorparated these into it. I do like the logo.

not sure on how to attach files on this site so here are links

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/earlier-versions-ootp-general-discussions/232466-game-s-thanx-uniform-makers-thread-5.html#post3622628

some of the early black white sox road jerseys with the custom one here:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/earlier-versions-ootp-general-discussions/232466-game-s-thanx-uniform-makers-thread-4.html#post3611949

was hoping to see some red on it from the 59 Sox.

For the Sox fonts, try tracing or something with the Chicago 2 font on here. It looks to be a very close match to what the White Sox have for the "Sox" logo they have now.

Yeah, that would be great. I don't have the skill to trace fonts (especially at that low of a resolution), but if anyone would do these fonts, I know many people on the boards would be ecstatic (including me).

I understand with what you guys are saying with the Expos but I just want the Epos as it's self. What I was thinking maybe for Tampa Bay do like Navy blue, light blue, white, gray, yellow and black

I am doing the current MLB teams, and I don't have any plans of doing defunct teams.

Here are some things I have been working on with the White Sox. As I showed several days ago, I tried decreasing the spacing, and I think it looks better. As I said earlier, I needed to center the o and x with the S to fit the batter in the main logo. The first option is what the home uni looks like on the jersey and hat with the same Sox mark from the main logo. I also wanted to see what it would look like when I dropped the o and x back to where they were on my first attempt. The second example shows this.

ScreenShot2014-07-17at94723PM.pngScreenShot2014-07-17at94655PM.png

I do like how the first one matches the new main logo, but I think I prefer the second one. Which do you like better, or are neither of them working. Again, I tried making all letters the same size, but I couldn't stand how the weights/thickness of the o and x was bigger than the S, thus giving them extra emphasis. So I won't be doing that (unless someone can make the capital letter O and X from the Chicago 2 font cappital92 mentioned).

I also tried the gray jersey with a straightened version of the Chicago script they used from 1902-16, 30-38, and 76-81 (and similar designs--but different fonts--were used for many of the other years). I really like this jersey because of it ties in a script used different times going back all the way to their second year of existence. What do you think?

ScreenShot2014-07-17at94835PM.png

Also, the hat that went with the black jersey will go away and will be replaced with either the home/away hats or their flying sock logo (I think the batter logo would work better as a BP hat).

Thank you all for your interest in this series. Help me decide what to do with the Sox. Are these improvements or should I go in a different direction?

award%20sig.png

I'd say go for the new road script. It works really well with the beach blanket template. The second version of the home uniform works the best, mostly because the template is a little more geared towards that alignment. I really like how out-of-the-box the whole of your White Sox design has been, and I can't wait to see the finished update!

My vote for adding red to the color scheme and the rest of my sentiments still stand.

I think where I'm not feeling this concept the most is that the hat with the straightened calligraphic mark just don't look right.

The new road jersey is the great improvement I thought it would be.

Home jersey 1 looks better

I also tried the gray jersey with a straightened version of the Chicago script they used from 1902-16, 30-38, and 76-81 (and similar designs--but different fonts--were used for many of the other years). I really like this jersey because of it ties in a script used different times going back all the way to their second year of existence. What do you think?

ScreenShot2014-07-17at94835PM.png

Also, the hat that went with the black jersey will go away and will be replaced with either the home/away hats or their flying sock logo (I think the batter logo would work better as a BP hat).

Thank you all for your interest in this series. Help me decide what to do with the Sox. Are these improvements or should I go in a different direction?

Okay, this is a HUGE improvement over your first attempt. That slight tweaking of the script on the jerseys (Like Giants1883, I prefer the one on the left) is a major upgrade, and I absolutely love the late '70s/early 1900's script on the road jersey. This new road jersey looks more like a well thought-out concept and less like a hodgepodge of eras slapped together. Kudos.

I've accepted that you've gone in a completely different direction than I would have, but these latest tweaks prove to me that this rather unorthodox look can still work.

Having said all that, PLEASE get rid of the horizontal "Sox" script for the cap. It just does not look right, and to be honest, I don't think there's any way to make it look good. And paired with the script on the jersey, it just feels like overkill. Either use the Batterman or the winged sock.

Having said all that, PLEASE get rid of the horizontal "Sox" script for the cap. It just does not look right. Paired with the script on the jersey, it just feels like overkill. Either use the Batterman or the winged sock.

Or even a C on the cap would work. This would incorporate an element from the 1933-1950 and 1987-1990 eras.

Another element to consider for the mix would be the ca. 1967 cap.

Archived