MLB Combination of Eras - D-Backs in Purple and Red (March 25)

davidmiller5

No, I'm not dead. And neither is this thread.

David, I have an odd request. Could you put together a black and pink version of your Mets concept? The idea comes from this recent article that suggests the Mets nearly wore that color scheme back when they first came into the league. The black would replace the blue and the pink would replace the orange. I really love how that black and pink logo looks in the article and am curious to see how the whole uniform set would look.

Pink_Black_Mets.png

I did a quick edit of my Mets' uniforms. I just did Color Replace and some paint bucket fills so it is a little rough. Sorry, but I didn't want to spend much time but was happy to do a quick recolor.

MetsUniformsinpink.png

I have been working some on the Indians when I have time, but I'm not yet happy with what I am coming up with. I'll tinker some more and may post some potential logos to get some feedback before too long.

award%20sig.png

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks fantastic! This is exactly how I imagined it would look. Thanks so much for doing this. I know most people would be vehemently opposed to a professional (men's) sports team wearing pink, but this proves that it could look amazing if done right. B)

Looking forward to seeing what you do with Cleveland.

As I mentioned earlier, I am having some problems with the Indians. I mentioned earlier that I would try to go Wahoo-free, but that really takes a huge portion of their identity with it. I am planning on using their mid-70s script, so I planned on using the matching hat as their main logo:

ScreenShot2014-08-03at95941PM.png

But I also am wanting to incorporate the Indian part of their name in a respectful way; I think this logo is the best at that (used 1929-32):

7226.gif

My concern is that it is too much like the Blackhawks' logo, so my idea is that I will just take the headdress. Here is a version in which I flipped and skewed the headdress to make it look more like a C. (This is just a rough Illustrator "live trace" version of the headdress; if I end up using the headdress, I will clean it up or make my own based closely on the original.)

ScreenShot2014-08-03at95647PM.png

I don't think it is obviously a C, and that is a problem. I tried adding an I, but it didn't look good at all.

I also tried putting the headdress on the C; here is the result:

ScreenShot2014-08-03at95929PM.pngScreenShot2014-08-03at103451PM.png

The shape of the C makes it look like the headdress is swallowing the C, so I don't think it works too well.

I also tried it with the new C introduced in 2008. That C is actually a slight update of what Cleveland wore from 1902-04, so it is already incorporates early team history.

ScreenShot2014-08-03at101239PM.png

I think this fits better, but I'm not sure what I think about having their 70s script(s) with this logo. But it would add in different eras, so that would be a good thing.

Please let me know what you think works best. Does the headdress work at all, or should I scrap it completely? Again, let me stress that this is a quick and rough version of the headdress, not the final version (unless you all really prefer the more abstract look). If I should go in a completely different direction, what suggestions do you have?

award%20sig.png

Well, I do think you could get the headdress to blend better if you used the 1978-85 version of the block-C (which is just the current block-C with an outline):

900A3V_CLI_F_1_large.jpeg

If you went this route, it would be wise to go with a hybrid of the current look and the late 80's/early 90's cuffs/racing stripes look, to keep the look somewhat consistent. If you want to go the 70's route (which I hope you do), I would suggest shrinking the headdress and adjusting its angle so that it flows with the 70's cap logo (provided you redraw it as you said you would).

What about plucking the feather off of Chief Wahoo's head and incorporating that somehow?

Also, as you might know, there is plenty of precedent for a C logo on the left chest.

EDIT:

1) come to think of it, the headdress on the 70's C as you have is quickly growing on me.

2) Neither here nor there I suppose, but compare: 1928 logo vs. US Nickel of 1913-1938 vs. DC Gridiron vs. Blackhawks

The headdress by itself does not invoke a "C" clearly enough to be the main logo. Of the other options you posted I like the headdress over the red "C" the best, but it's far from perfect.

I like Giants1883's suggestion of plucking the feather from Wahoo and affixing it to either the mid-70s "C" or the block "C."

I am leaning toward using their block-C because it uses more of their history. It also fits the headdress better. But the downside of this is that the home and road scripts would be so different. That isn't so unusual in baseball, but I do like the idea of uniformity across uniforms. The home script will be this:

2273.gif

Here is my rendition of what the matching script on the road jersey would be (I would add a stroke):

ScreenShot2014-08-05at120803PM.png

If I went with the block-C, I would go with an update of this script (this is from the '00s):

Nap_Lajoie_1913.jpg

(sorry about the large size)

Let me know what you think.

What about plucking the feather off of Chief Wahoo's head and incorporating that somehow?

Also, as you might know, there is plenty of precedent for a C logo on the left chest.

EDIT:

1) come to think of it, the headdress on the 70's C as you have is quickly growing on me.

2) Neither here nor there I suppose, but compare: 1928 logo vs. US Nickel of 1913-1938 vs. DC Gridiron vs. Blackhawks

The headdress by itself does not invoke a "C" clearly enough to be the main logo. Of the other options you posted I like the headdress over the red "C" the best, but it's far from perfect.

I like Giants1883's suggestion of plucking the feather from Wahoo and affixing it to either the mid-70s "C" or the block "C."

I had thought about that but wasn't a big fan of the look. I did some more work on it after your suggestions. Here are some options:

ScreenShot2014-08-05at120025PM.pngScreenShot2014-08-05at120039PM.png

ScreenShot2014-08-05at115246AM.png

What do you think? I think the block-C looks less forced.

Would the "C" with the headdress appear on the cap? That might be a bit too 'busy' as far as cap logos are concerned.

I was thinking it would appear on a cap. Busyness is a potential concern, but I think cleaning up the headdress should help.

award%20sig.png

I had thought about that but wasn't a big fan of the look. I did some more work on it after your suggestions. Here are some options:

ScreenShot2014-08-05at120025PM.pngScreenShot2014-08-05at120039PM.png

ScreenShot2014-08-05at115246AM.png

What do you think? I think the block-C looks less forced.

Would the "C" with the headdress appear on the cap? That might be a bit too 'busy' as far as cap logos are concerned.

I was thinking it would appear on a cap. Busyness is a potential concern, but I think cleaning up the headdress should help.

I think those two look a little awkward, but that's just me. I prefer the block C with the headdress, especially if you added a stroke to the C.

As for the scripts, I don't think it would clash at all if you used the block C with the "caveman" scripts, home or away. Think of the Dodgers, their Los Angeles script isn't block like their hat.

"I decided that the drop shadow and black alternate didn't need to be represented. I think that blue alternate with orange accents looks much more like the Mets and New York as a whole. (And I know what these boards think of the black Mets days.) "

IMHO, as awesome as this series has been, good, bad and indifferent periods of a team's iconographic and branding history should be included if the series is truly to be a "combination of eras". I associate the black heavily with the post 9/11 Subway Series Mets that I find an invaluable part of their history. But i'm just splitting hairs, the template you're using is clean and easy to look at, and the designs are very modern without being too minimalist. A++

St. Joseph of Arimathea, Pray for Us

"Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God." Mt 27:54

"I decided that the drop shadow and black alternate didn't need to be represented. I think that blue alternate with orange accents looks much more like the Mets and New York as a whole. (And I know what these boards think of the black Mets days.) "

IMHO, as awesome as this series has been, good, bad and indifferent periods of a team's iconographic and branding history should be included if the series is truly to be a "combination of eras". I associate the black heavily with the post 9/11 Subway Series Mets that I find an invaluable part of their history. But i'm just splitting hairs, the template you're using is clean and easy to look at, and the designs are very modern without being too minimalist. A++

Welcome to the boards. Thanks for all the complements, and I'm honored this thread is your first post. Every team has periods that I need to omit in order to have a decent concept. You bring up a fair point about the Mets and their history, the drop-shadow could be viewed as an essential part of their history because of the 9/11 Subway Series. I decided not to use it for the reasons you quote and also because they adopted the black in the 90s when lots of teams decided to add black to sell more merchandise and not because it was a part of their previous history.

award%20sig.png

on the 70's C with the headdress, what if you rotated the headdress slightly so that the front of the headdress lines up with the right edge of the flat section of the C and the end of the headdress lines up with the point. The headdress may have to been redrawn so it looks like it is sitting on the C with no gaps but that might look good.

st__louis_aces_player_sig___tom_davis_by_verasthebrujah-d9w1l6u.jpg

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_minor_by_verasthebrujah-dbd786h.jpg.04fb6ee08e3d6de5abf371b4fd8bf0bf.jpgmiami_suns_sig_by_verasthebrujah-da7emd5.jpg

Archived