MLB Combination of Eras - D-Backs in Purple and Red (March 25)

davidmiller5

Some great work here. I love the thread.

I'm from Milwaukee and a life long brewer fan. I'm not sure about the shading of green. looks a little too minty. ..and the "Brewers" script seems to lean a few different directions. maybe i'm cray cray?

Personally, I'd like to see the brewers incorperate more gold. they are named after beer afterall, as much as they try to hide that.

brew2.jpg hahaha fear the beer

As the uniforms are now, you can hardly make out any gold. They look just white and blue.

I also think (I know I'm being picky) the barley under the script should stretch all the way the length of the word instead of being part tail and part barley. as it is it looks too much like a horse tail i think.

I was also thinking someone should put together a uniform for Cleveland with a new name other than Indians since there is a continual push to have them renamed by politicians and such.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/2/21/4011442/cleveland-indians-name-change-chief-wahoo

the poll results here say it should be the Cleveland Spiders. (not the purpose of this thread i know, but who better to tackel that than davidmiller?)

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was also thinking someone should put together a uniform for Cleveland with a new name other than Indians since there is a continual push to have them renamed by politicians and such.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/2/21/4011442/cleveland-indians-name-change-chief-wahoo

the poll results here say it should be the Cleveland Spiders. (not the purpose of this thread i know, but who better to tackel that than davidmiller?)

You might enjoy this: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5320/6949198950_6698caf16e_o.png

Any hint what direction you might take with Toronto?

Toronto is tough for me because they switched back to their classic design three years ago. Looking through their history, so many of their current elements are the best they have ever been. This is the best blue jay, main logo, hat logo, etc.; this is their best font. So I am struggling to figure out how to incorporate previous elements to truly combine eras.

I should also mention that right now my designing time has been focused on creating a new logo for the school I teach/coach at. I need to have the logo done in the next week or two to incorporate it into some new uniforms.

I would like to see aspects of the 2003 logo, 89-96 road jersey, 77-92? home cap, 94-96 alt jersey. Although i am a White Sox fan, the Blue Jays are my 2nd favorite uniforms, even the bad ones. My team that I play as of now on OOTP is based off of the Blue Jays uniforms.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/earlier-versions-ootp-general-discussions/232466-game-s-thanx-uniform-makers-thread-5.html#post3653154

Not sure if you've seen this yet, David, but it sure looks like the designers of the new 2015 Twins home jersey were fans of this thread!

It seems to be more of a combination of my Twins and Royals concepts than just my Twins concept, but I did use the navy script. (I don't really like pinstripes, so I would have gone with a look quite similar to this, minus the drop shadow, if I weren't so concerned about incorporating teams' histories.)

In real thread news, I have a definite plan for the Blue Jays and have started working on it. I don't know that it will be an improvement of their look (because as I said earlier, this is by far their best look in so many areas), but it should be interesting, and it will definitely combine numerous eras. I thought about posting the primary logo, but decided I will wait and present it all at once. Stay tuned.

award%20sig.png

In real thread news, I have a definite plan for the Blue Jays and have started working on it. I don't know that it will be an improvement of their look (because as I said earlier, this is by far their best look in so many areas), but it should be interesting, and it will definitely combine numerous eras. I thought about posting the primary logo, but decided I will wait and present it all at once. Stay tuned.

Very excited to see the Jays!

I have a few comments and criticisms of some of your earlier concepts in this project but I'll wait to post them until after you've finished Toronto.

Here's Toronto. As I mentioned earlier, I don't think that I prefer this look to their current look, but it does incorporate their different eras.

BLUEJAYSLOGOS.png

BLUEJAYSHOMEUNIFORMS.png

BLUEJAYSROADUNIFORMS.png

BLUEJAYSElementExplanation.png

I decided I wanted to go double blue, and I went with their turquoise instead of powder blue. I didn't want to copy the uniform colors I gave the Royals. I'm guessing their will be some backlash against the royal blue on the turquoise, but I wanted one jersey that I did to have lower level contrast.

The alternate hat is an update of their 1977-93 hats (but without the baseball behind the jay).

I couldn't find the font that I used, so I couldn't put the NOB in a font that matches the wordmark and number. I had to create the numbers myself.

I have to run, so I can't go into more detail, but let me know what you think.

award%20sig.png

This really ain't too bad!

However, I don't like the angled script on the wordmarks. If you really want to better incorporate the 2004-11 look, I suggest using an underline instead of the angled script.

Otherwise, this isn't really too bad!

And what a series it has been! Sad to see it over. Although it would be cool to see a compilation of all the jerseys and logos and whatnot from this series.

BEHANCE | PORTFOLIO 

Wow! Not really at all what I imagined you'd do for the Jays, but a very cool finished product nonetheless. Many more elements of their late '90s-early 2000s looks represented than I expected.

I do wish you had given them powder blue alternates, but I understand not wanting to just copy the Royals. On top of that, you just completed the Rays who you also gave a powder alternate.

I'm on the fence about the slanted wordmark. On the one hand it looks very dynamic, but on the other hand, the arched wordmark was so perfect.

Again, really great job incorporating the various eras with this one and taking me by surprise.

Although it would be cool to see a compilation of all the jerseys and logos and whatnot from this series.

I second TheGiantsFan's request for a table showing all the team logos from this series!

I like what you've done with merging the different Blue Jays looks (especially the slanted scripts and the turquoise). Well done!

It has been a joy following this series, and seeing all the wild permutations of different teams' looks combined (even with teams that did not have vastly different looks). Congratulations on finishing the series!

Wow! Not really at all what I imagined you'd do for the Jays, but a very cool finished product nonetheless. Many more elements of their late '90s-early 2000s looks represented than I expected.

I do wish you had given them powder blue alternates, but I understand not wanting to just copy the Royals. On top of that, you just completed the Rays who you also gave a powder alternate.

I'm on the fence about the slanted wordmark. On the one hand it looks very dynamic, but on the other hand, the arched wordmark was so perfect.

Again, really great job incorporating the various eras with this one and taking me by surprise.

Although it would be cool to see a compilation of all the jerseys and logos and whatnot from this series.

I second TheGiantsFan's request for a table showing all the team logos from this series!

Honestly, I was on the fence about the slanted wordmark too because their arched wordkmarks look so good. But it did allow me to incorporate the black era without using any of the logos or colors.

I do want to do a compilation of logos and maybe hats and jerseys, but I don't know when I will get to it.

I also did a Canada Day jersey but forgot to post it yesterday. I wanted to do something that didn't overuse the red.

unicanada.png

award%20sig.png

I have to admit, the slanted wordmark is starting to grow on me. I appreciate you finding a way to incorporate part of an era which was, IMO, the worst look in team history.

For what it's worth, I wanted to make a couple comments about a few concepts you posted prior to my involvement in this thread.

Braves - Overall I enjoy this concept, but the white outlines on the home and road alternates are distracting and unnecessary. Get rid of those and you have a perfect set.

Marlins - I like the Marlins set (they should never have gotten rid of teal) but I feel the yellow alternate is overkill. The teal and orange alternates make sense because the team has worn those colors in the past.

Nats - I think an upturned, re-colored Expos logo would be a better option than your current Nats logo, which looks somewhat crude.

One last thing...Any chance you could re-post the NL East and the Dodgers in the same format as the other divisions? For the NL East (and Dodgers) each concept was smaller in size and both the home and road sets were part of one image. I think the first time you split up the home and road sets into two separate images was with the Dbacks and I prefer that format.

I have to admit, the slanted wordmark is starting to grow on me. I appreciate you finding a way to incorporate part of an era which was, IMO, the worst look in team history.

For what it's worth, I wanted to make a couple comments about a few concepts you posted prior to my involvement in this thread.

Braves - Overall I enjoy this concept, but the white outlines on the home and road alternates are distracting and unnecessary. Get rid of those and you have a perfect set.

Marlins - I like the Marlins set (they should never have gotten rid of teal) but I feel the yellow alternate is overkill. The teal and orange alternates make sense because the team has worn those colors in the past.

Nats - I think an upturned, re-colored Expos logo would be a better option than your current Nats logo, which looks somewhat crude.

One last thing...Any chance you could re-post the NL East and the Dodgers in the same format as the other divisions? For the NL East (and Dodgers) each concept was smaller in size and both the home and road sets were part of one image. I think the first time you split up the home and road sets into two separate images was with the Dbacks and I prefer that format.

In my opinion, the outlines on the Braves' alternates are necessary because it keeps the wordmark from bleeding into the middle portion of the piping. Without an outline, some of the script would get lost in the piping.

Yes, the yellow Marlins jersey is overkill. But that is the point. I wanted one team to go over the top and I felt that the Marlins were the best candidate to do that. Four hats and six jerseys is ridiculous...but the Marlins are ridiculous, so I thought it was a good fit.

I tried the flipped Expos logo, and it just didn't work. It became undistinguishable (on page four I explain this in more detail).

Thanks again for your interest.

award%20sig.png

Archived