MLB Combination of Eras - D-Backs in Purple and Red (March 25)

davidmiller5

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Braves look a little busy with the feathers on each sleeve and the tomahawk across the chest. I'm a little biased against the tomahawk already, so I'd drop that. But otherwise it's a very nice set.

Concerns about busyness is a fair point. I do want to keep the elements since they all have historical significance. Not all teams will have such busy looks.

award%20sig.png

MARLINSLOGOS.png

MarlinsUniforms11.png

There are really only two ways I could go with this one, either old look with new colors or new look with old colors. Since I haven't been a big fan of the Marlins' redesign, I had planned to use the Marlins' old logo and wordmarks with the new colors, but when I tried it, I really didn't like it. (And no Miami wordmark was also a problem.) A surprising thing happened; in working with this concept I decided I don't hate their rebrand as much as I thought I did. It seems to capture Miami's culture (although I'm not an expert), and it is a unique look in baseball. I decided part of their problem is that they try to be extreme, but then they back off of that. I decided to keep pushing the envelope with gratuitous jerseys and hats and by using the abstract Marlin as a hat logo.

I ended up using their current look but their old color scheme (orange was listed as a supporting color on ColorWerx since it was used on an alternate logo) plus their current yellow. As you can see, the orange and yellow are only used as small accents on the uniforms mainly worn. (They would only use their orange and yellow jerseys a few times per year.) Note that there is only one aqua jersey but could be worn both at home and on the road.

The hats are somewhat interchangeable. The aqua hat could be worn with the white uniform, the black marlin hat could be worn with the white, gray, black, or aqua jerseys, the regular hats could be worn with any of the alternates, etc. The M hats would be worn most of the time.

The secondary logo is an updated version of their old logo (used from 93-11). I used the new abstract marlin and flipped everything else to match the right-facing marlin. The black and orange alternates use the metallic silver wordmarks like what they used on their black alternates from 2003-11.

I decided that I was allowed to use a font for NOBs that closely resembles their wordmark fonts. The Marlins have always used a fairly standard block font for NOBs, but I decided it was within the parameters of my guidelines stated above. Since they do use a similar font in their logo and wordmark I decided I could use that font elsewhere.

I decided not to do an explanation of jersey elements for the Marlins since there are really only two eras of Marlins design history. I have tried to explain myself in words this time. I would love some feedback as to whether it is worth my time to do the graphic illustration to explain how I ended up with my designs. Did you like what I did with the Braves or do you prefer more wording like the Marlins?

EDIT (10/2/14): I now have the actual Marlins font, so I updated the this post.

award%20sig.png

Holy Cinco De Mayo, Cisco! That's alot of color! The logos and wordmarks I like. I could see the orange and yellows used on the road as well if I knew what the specific occasions you meant them for were. NOBs and numbers are well done. As far as explaining why's and how's, I got them either way you did it(except the orange and yellows).

Holy Cinco De Mayo, Cisco! That's alot of color! The logos and wordmarks I like. I could see the orange and yellows used on the road as well if I knew what the specific occasions you meant them for were. NOBs and numbers are well done. As far as explaining why's and how's, I got them either way you did it(except the orange and yellows).

That yellow Marlins jersey strikes me as so odd...but I LOVE it!!

My comment about not wearing the orange and yellow jerseys very often is only to let everyone know that at home when they would wear an alternate it would mostly be the aqua jersey. In my mind, they would only wear the orange and yellow shirts once or twice a month.

My idea for a yellow alternate for the Marlins stemmed from the fact that teams tend to wear their colored jerseys during day games. I may be odd, but I want to wear the lightest colored shirt I can on a hot summer day. So I designed a yellow jersey to give them a colored option that would be fairly cool. Of course, I forgot that they now play in a retractable roof ballpark, but the yellow jersey stays. I decided to use aqua accents to do something different; yellow is usually paired with purple, dark blue, or black. It seemed to fit Miami. (I do realize that in the MLB Oakland is the only team to really use yellow and they pair it with green, but across sports this holds true.)

award%20sig.png

Friggin' badass idea for a new concept thread and excellent execution so far. I know you little equation diagrams you did for the Braves probably take a lot of time to do but are you going to add those visual equations to the Marlins and other sets? I think those do a great job of making everything make sense.

Very excited for this thread. Very fresh.

Thanks for all your comments. I should say that I wasn't able to completely replicate their numbers. I am using the closest thing I could find to their custom number font.

Ok. Using that knowledge, wouldn't that also open them up to use on the road?

They definitely could wear the orange and yellow shirts on the road; similarly, they could wear their black alternate at home. My only reasoning for putting them only as home alternates was that I kept the lighter colors for home alternates and darker ones for away alternates. I'm not sure how the yellow would look with gray pants, but wearing them for day games in other stadiums would definitely be cooler than the black or aqua shirts.

Ah! My eyes! Since when did the Marlins move to Oregon!

In all seriousness though, solid look. I'm more a classy baseball uniforms kind of guy but come on! At least one MLB teams has to look modern.

That's my idea. I'm not going to create scads of alternates for every team, but I wanted to for one team. Miami seemed the best to do that with because they use lots of colors and have a modern look.

How about including some elements of the old minor league Miami Marlins? Still have the blue and orange color.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls5smlHWTx1qfyu9c.jpg

I didn't realize that there was a previous team called the Miami Marlins. Thanks for the info. This raises an important question that I was going to raise anyway: What teams should factor into the combination of eras? Do I incorporate teams from the city that has left, or do I stay with the same franchise no matter what city they were based in?

I used the franchise method for the Braves: my design followed the Braves as they moved from Boston to Milwaukee to Atlanta. I don't really think it makes sense for the Brewers to incorporate Milwaukee Braves designs/colors etc.

Maybe the best way to practically think about the question is to think about what I should do with the Nationals. Do I incorporate the Expos or do I go back to the days of the Washington Senators even though the Senators became both the Twins and the Rangers? (Of course, their cursive W is taken from their Senators days, so there would be some overlap.) As I said, I would like to hear your opinion.

So to come back to the original suggestion about adding the minor league Marlins to this look; it depends on whether cities are paramount to franchises or vice versa.

I really like the idea behind the roundel secondary logo, but I think it might look a little cleaner, or at least flashier, with the marlin coming around the outside of the circle

I like the roundel because it provides a different shape from the rest of their look. Their current unis have their Marlin/M Logo on their hats, incorporated into their wordmark, and on their sleeve. I think it works well as a sleeve patch.

As far as Marlin coming from behind the roundel, I do this because that is the way it was with their old logo. It combines the eras a bit more than if I would have the entire marlin in front of the silver ring.

award%20sig.png

How about including some elements of the old minor league Miami Marlins? Still have the blue and orange color.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls5smlHWTx1qfyu9c.jpg

I didn't realize that there was a previous team called the Miami Marlins. Thanks for the info. This raises an important question that I was going to raise anyway: What teams should factor into the combination of eras? Do I incorporate teams from the city that has left, or do I stay with the same franchise no matter what city they were based in?

I used the franchise method for the Braves: my design followed the Braves as they moved from Boston to Milwaukee to Atlanta. I don't really think it makes sense for the Brewers to incorporate Milwaukee Braves designs/colors etc.

Maybe the best way to practically think about the question is to think about what I should do with the Nationals. Do I incorporate the Expos or do I go back to the days of the Washington Senators even though the Senators became both the Twins and the Rangers? (Of course, their cursive W is taken from their Senators days, so there would be some overlap.) As I said, I would like to hear your opinion.

So to come back to the original suggestion about adding the minor league Marlins to this look; it depends on whether cities are paramount to franchises or vice versa.

This is just my opinion of course, but I think you should include elements of teams previously in that city. That said, making the Brewers look like the Braves would be silly, but there was a minor league Brewers team for a long time (Which had similar designs to the Braves, mainly in the script and colors) which was an affiliate of the Boston Braves before they moved to Milwaukee. I would say for the Twins to include some elements of the St. Paul Saints if you wish, and keep the Senators for the Nationals' elements. I would also include the Seals elements for the Giants, or even the old LA Angels for the...Angels (Same with the Padres).

Now, a lot of teams already have taken elements from previous teams. The Mets, for instance, combined the Giants and Dodgers.

But what would you do for a team like the A's, who have moved from Philly to Kansas City to Oakland? You could incorporate the Oakland Oaks, or go the traditional A's route.

Really with this idea your options are wide (Although I have no idea what you'd do with the Rockies (Did Colorado/Denver even have a popular minor league team?)) I really look forward to seeing the rest of it. Just keep in mind the other teams, MLD & MiLB, that have graced the city with their presence.

But what would you do for a team like the A's, who have moved from Philly to Kansas City to Oakland? You could incorporate the Oakland Oaks, or go the traditional A's route.

Really with this idea your options are wide (Although I have no idea what you'd do with the Rockies (Did Colorado/Denver even have a popular minor league team?)) I really look forward to seeing the rest of it. Just keep in mind the other teams, MLD & MiLB, that have graced the city with their presence.

Denver did have a popular minor league team for many years, the Bears:

IMG_20120622_144811.jpgDenverBearsBrickellFritz1a1957-04-07.jpg

It'd be interesting to merge these looks with the Rockies look.

Thanks for the info. I think I will explore both relocations and previous teams from the same city in the future.

I am going to leave the Marlins as is for now, but will revisit them at some point. I spent quite a bit of time getting their look as it is now, and the thought of trying to incorporate a completely unrelated element doesn't seem very appealing right now. So I will finish the NL East then think about whether or not they should get a revamp.

award%20sig.png

Archived