MLB Combination of Eras - D-Backs in Purple and Red (March 25)

davidmiller5

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Five teams in and I am already stretching my rule about only using elements that teams have used.

NationalsElementExplanationv2.png

As you can see, I decided to incorporate both the previous Washington teams and the Expos with the current Nationals. I tried to combine elements from these three eras and designs. The W tries to mix the straight W with the curly W; the boldness, thick outline, and (obviously) the N within the W is from the Expos logo.

I really wanted to do a N/W logo to pay respect to their Expos years. I started out trying to flip the M into a W, but it just didn't work. I had the N that I ended up with inside of the flipped Expos logo at that point, so I added another leg to turn it into a W. I'm pretty happy with the result. It also works really well with their stars and stripes design that I wanted to include.

NATIONALSLOGOSv3.png

NATIONALSUNIFORMSv2.png

Some notes on the design:

• The Washington franchises have always been some combination of navy, red, and white, so I wanted to keep that.
  • The main logo is their current logo with the new W substituted for the curly W.
  • The tertiary logo is an updated logo from the 1959-60 Senators; a big thanks to Ren for updating the logo.
  • The Washington wordmark is updated because the curly W isn't used anywhere else. I created the W from the capital N of the Nationals wordmark.
  • I wanted to use the W logo on the uniforms since both the Expos and Nationals have mainly used that look. I took the double-piping from the current Nationals uniforms and the old Expos numbers.
  • The hats are based on Expos hats (see above). I did think a red, white, and blue hat did make sense for a team from the nation's capital. The flag hat is based on their current flag hat.

EDIT (2/28): I changed the order of the strokes on the W/N logo. Originally it was white on the inside and blue on the outside, now it is blue on the inside and white on the outside. I also changed the sleeve patch on the blue jersey from the main logo to the Senator logo.

award%20sig.png

I LOVE the Phillies, especially that blue jersey. That final P looks much much better. However, it's tough for me to see the Phillies are going pinstripe-less full time. That is my only complaint. The Nationals are really great and creative too. I love that W/N and I'm a big fan of the use of the Nationals script.

I love what you've done here. The new "W" took a little getting used to, but once I did I liked it. Not the biggest fan of using Expos number font, but that's just my personal distaste for the font and I can understand why you did it. I'm looking forward to the NL Central (which, going alphabetically, the first one should be the Cubs)!

Yet another awesome, well-done concept here! At first, I didn't like the W you used, but I realized its meaning and I got to like it. Great job!

I LOVE the Phillies, especially that blue jersey. That final P looks much much better. However, it's tough for me to see the Phillies are going pinstripe-less full time. That is my only complaint. The Nationals are really great and creative too. I love that W/N and I'm a big fan of the use of the Nationals script.

I love what you've done here. The new "W" took a little getting used to, but once I did I liked it. Not the biggest fan of using Expos number font, but that's just my personal distaste for the font and I can understand why you did it. I'm looking forward to the NL Central (which, going alphabetically, the first one should be the Cubs)!

Thanks for the comments. In response to the number font, I definitely understand that. I figured I should either use the old Expos font or the Nats current font. Since they have gone away from their old blocky wordmark, I don't really think that the Nationals numbers fit with the rest of their look; similarly, I don't think the blocky number font would look good with my slightly wonky W and its lack of straight lines.

I feel like the "W" looks good, but at the same time, I'd like to see it with a different font.

Do you have ideas about what you would want to see?

If you want to incorporate the look of the Expos but still want the main logo to be "W", why not flip the Montreal "M" over so it looks like a "W"?

expos1-reverse.jpg

As I said in my above post, I started with this, and I was really excited about it. But when I actually tried it, it just didn't work IMO. Here is the flipped logo that I had when I recolored it to a single color.

ScreenShot2014-02-26at100745AM.png

To me, it just looks much more like a blob than a W. Here is what it looks like with the N inside it.

ScreenShot2014-02-26at101406AM.png

It now looks like a blob with a N on top of it. I think the W is hardly distinguishable. I think that what I ended up with is much more recognizable as a W and N incorporated into one mark.

award%20sig.png

I tried out some other ideas for the Phillies. I tried replacing the baseball with a star, I tried using the P logo from the 80s, and I tried curving the top right of the P, but I didn't like how any of them looked. I then tried going back to the wordmark without the baseball, but even that didn't look right to me. In the end, I came to like the old-style P with the baseball in it. So here is the concept.

PHILADELPHIALOGOS.png

PHILLIESUNIFORMS.png

PhilliesElementExplanation.png

I decided not to give the Phillies pinstripes. They didn't use pinstripes for the first 50 years of their existence (with one or two years as an exception). I didn't use any other uniform stylings from before 1950, so the lack of pinstripes is a nod to those years. The uniforms are based on the current road uniforms with the wide cuff and pant piping. I also use the current NOB and number font and placement. The Phillies' away uniforms were this same blue-gray color from 1970-72. I though it was a good way to have a different colored away uniform without being too bright or garish.

The red alternate is based on their 1970-91 uniforms (especially their '79 red alternates). The blue alternate wouldn't be worn on the road because the bright blue would clash with the blue-gray road pants.

Love the kid logo

YVRMUBj.png

I have decided that I won't update the Marlins. I just can't reconcile their modern look with incorporating a look from the 60s. I thought about using their orange which is darker, but I like the bright orange for the Marlins.

I will be updating the Nationals. I don't like the white stroke then the blue stroke around the N/W logo. I will at least swap the two strokes. Here are some other options for the logo. First is the original with the swapped strokes, the second is similar but different, the last is the W from the wordmark.

ScreenShot2014-02-27at110913AM.pngScreenShot2014-02-27at111008AM.pngScreenShot2014-02-27at111027AM.png

I couldn't find a vector of the Nationals wordmark, so the W I created is small (since the original file is small). I think that it might be troublesome if I would use it as a main logo.

award%20sig.png

I ended up staying with the same W/N logo but I switched the strokes. I just updated my original Nationals post instead of posting it all here since they are so similar. I tried the W from the wordmark, but the way it flares out on both sides makes it too wide to look good on a jersey.

I also changed the sleeve patch on the blue jersey.

The Cubs should be up tomorrow.

award%20sig.png

CUBSLOGOS.png

CUBSUNIFORMS.png

CubsElementExplanation.png

The Cubs are different in that they have had a very steady uniform set on one hand, but have had many interesting and unique jerseys. It was hard to know what to do with them, but I am happy with how they turned out.

I kept the current logo since the weight of the UBS best matches the C. The home uniform is identical to what they currently wear, but the road and alternate uniforms combine eras. The blue alternate is very similar to the current blue alternate; the only difference is the updated logo.

The gray alternate is very unique with the colored placket and vertical lettering. As you can see, it is an updated version of their 1909 uniforms.

award%20sig.png

Archived