MLB Combination of Eras - D-Backs in Purple and Red (March 25)

davidmiller5

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A definite upgrade from their current set, and thanks for taking my sugestion! A few sticking points:

* The gold lettering gets a little mushy on the navy and green jerseys, especially the green.

* I had pictured the barley head as at least 1.5 times wider than the rest of the underline on the wordmark, as if the rest of the underline was the stem of the barley head.

* I'm not a big fan of serif font numbers and (for) player name on jerseys, but I'll buy your rationale for using them.

After you tune Milwaukee up or dont, onward to Pittsburgh!

When it comes to the Dodgers and cardinals, what's to combine?

Thanks for all your comments. I thought about removing green as a color, but decided to keep it so that it would combine more eras.

A definite upgrade from their current set, and thanks for taking my sugestion! A few sticking points:

* The gold lettering gets a little mushy on the navy and green jerseys, especially the green.

* I had pictured the barley head as at least 1.5 times wider than the rest of the underline on the wordmark, as if the rest of the underline was the stem of the barley head.

* I'm not a big fan of serif font numbers and (for) player name on jerseys, but I'll buy your rationale for using them.

After you tune Milwaukee up or dont, onward to Pittsburgh!

When it comes to the Dodgers and cardinals, what's to combine?

I'll try out the thiner underline with the barley head; I thought about trying it earlier but never did. I will tweak the green uniform because the gold does make it look "mushy."

Some teams won't get much of a change, but I will see what I can do to pay homage to different eras.

I would just take away the navy jersey. The green doesn't blend well there at all, but the rest of them are fantastic! Love the barley script tail!

If anything, I would get rid of the green jersey. Navy is their main color, so I will definitely keep it as a jersey. The Brewers don't need three alternate jerseys, but they have recently had a disturbing number of alternate jerseys (including their ridiculous Cerveceros and Piwowarzy uniforms). Last year they had six alternates. I gave them three and kept all scripts to the actual team's name.

One thing that I'm really not sure about is the double outline around the wordmarks. Should I cut out the double outline or leave it? I gave the double outline to help balance the colors, but is it too busy/cluttered?

award%20sig.png

I actually like the green with the Brewers (I liked it when they had green in the 90s), but the green jersey should have a navy Brewers script, I think. The green-with-gold-script reminds me too much of the Celtics' St Paddy's uniforms.

These concepts are really well done. Looking forward to more. The Phillies concept is outstanding.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Thanks again for all the comments, the Pirates are almost done and should be up by tomorrow. Until then, here is an update of the Brewers.

BREWERSLOGOSv2.png

HomeUniformSetv2.png

AwayUniformSetv2.png

BrewersElementExplanationv2.png

I adjusted the swash of the wordmarks so the barley head is larger than the rest of the swash. I also changed the script and numbers on the blue and green jerseys to white. The only thing I don't like about the update is that now none of the barley in the wordmarks is gold.

award%20sig.png

really like the updates the white looks really sharp on the blue and green jersey, also the gold alt hat is pure genius and i love the way you've reincorporated the green from the 90s

A few years back, I'd periodically post a few...alt history alts, for lack of better wording. Though your version is a bit different from a couple things I'd done, the Brewers set here is in the neighborhood of what I figure I would've done had I ever wanted to turn my own Brewers alt into a full set...I'd had a subtle nod to the Pilots with scrambled wheat (cus hey, the Brewers have worn Pilots throwbacks before), you got a different scrambled wheat. I'd used the barley to underscore the Brewers script too, though I was mimicking the Braves' tomahawk rather than as part of a traditional underscore as you've done. Far as the logos, love the use of the fielding barrel man....even if the star in the map's over Burlington rather than Milwaukee :D

You know I had to comment on the Cubs set though...among things I would've personally done differently, the road lettering would be blue trimmed in red had I posted this, though it's nice to see the old underline. If I hadn't already done it last year, I would've tried to come up with another cross of eras...a modernized bear & bat, which last graced a Cubs uniform in 1936, but in a style similar to the current walking cub, for use as a possible "bright white" home alt, la the Mets. In any event, solid job...except on the fauxback. Don't get me wrong, it was a good idea, though I would've used a somewhat boxier font for the placket lettering (as it is, the GO's in danger of going below the belt), a blue C on the cap, and probably gone with a C-ubs without the circle, and made that blue as well. Seems somewhat disjointed as it is, though.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Thanks again for the comments. Discrimihater, I hadn't even checked the location of the star in the Wisconsin logo, I just got the logo from the mothership. I wonder why the Brewers would have ever misplaced the star, I guess to get it away from the border. I definitely understand your comments about the Cubs gray alternate. The C might look better in blue and the chest logo would probably look better without the circle; I am trying to stick with one set of logos across the different jerseys, so I kept their main logo on the alternate. But I will think about it some more and might update it. I did think about how low I could go with the placket lettering and decided that the entire script should be visible but maybe I was wrong.

Here are the Pirates. I did eliminate the red, but I didn't give them vests (the other frequently requested item across these boards). I decided that since the Reds wore vests the Pirates wouldn't.

PIRATESLOGOS.png

pirateshomeuniforms.png

piratesAWAYuniforms.png

PiratesElementExplanation.png

Nothing revolutionary here; they do a good job of matching their wordmarks and number fonts to their P logo (although the 2 and 7 look hideous), so I kept much of what they currently wear.

I brought back the stripes from the pillbox hats but am envisioning them wearing current New Era caps. I think the pillbox look would look silly with today's uniforms. They could wear the yellow hat with any home jersey. The triple sock stripe matches the hats, so I think it works well.

The yellow jersey is based on the ones they wore from '77-84.

A big thanks to Ren for updating the Pirates logo I used as the alternate.

award%20sig.png

To be honest I thought the pirates uniforms were perfect before the combination, but the stripes on the hats? Not a fan at all. One alternate with that in the combination? Fine. But all of the uniforms with that? Cool idea but bad result. I like how you kept their black alternate with the yellow P on the left side of the chest. Maybe adding a different version of that to the rotation would help. I'd say keep the black alt with the yellow P and change the colors around on that same jersey to recreate a fan favorite an another nice alternate uniform to the mix. And for the brewers? Love'em.

33k6vxf.jpg

I don't know if you are taking requests or not, but the Padres seem like they would be a nice team for this series. They have had three very different color schemes, logos, etc. throughout their history they've had the ugly yellow and brown (which god awful by itself but could be turned into something nice) and the orange and brown and now the navy, white and light beige. Again, I don't know if you're taking requests or not, but wanted to put this out there.

33k6vxf.jpg

Perfection on the Brewers!

Pirates set: Solid, but not spectacular.

I don't know if you are taking requests or not, but the Padres seem like they would be a nice team for this series....

No worries, he'll get there just before he does the Giants. He's working alphabetically by division on all teams. I too am intrigued by the possibilities for the Padres.

Archived