MLB Combination of Eras - D-Backs in Purple and Red (March 25)

davidmiller5

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a recommendation: use that green road alternate at home instead. Green jerseys shouldn't be restricted to the fans in an opposing city; the A's should wear the green in front of their own fans as well as the yellow. To compensate, make either a gray version of the alternate and use it on the road or make a green version of the primary roads. It's probably just my opinion but I think teams should wear their best looks at home.

Here are the Mariners. There weren't too many ways I could go with them, so the look is probably fairly predictable.

MARINERSLOGOS.png

HOMEUNIFORMSSEA.png

AWAYUNIFORMSSEA.png

MarinersElementExplanation.png

The Mariners have had two fairly iconic looks, their trident logo and their compass logo, so I combined these two eras. There are two trident logos; I decided to go with the later one (although I am now wondering if the first one would work better on the new main logo--let me know if you think I should change it). The Mariners also had their highly forgettable M's era (in the same division as the A's...what were they thinking), so I decided to forget about it too.

In the main logo, I needed to move the Mariners word to the top half of the roundel because the trident would obscure some of the letters if it stayed on the bottom. Then the bottom looked very empty, but I couldn't add anything large so I added their founding date.

The blue trident on the blue hat does concern me, but they went blue-on-blue when they used that logo, so I kept it as they originally did. The green hat was used in 1994. The alternate blue (trident only) cap is an combination of their 1977-80 hat and the green-billed hat they used from 1993-2003 at home (and have brought back several times as an alternate hat).

I decided to allow them to wear green on the road; I don't love the green with gray pants, but I think they should have it as an option.

award%20sig.png

I like this Mariners concept (and you did exactly what I hoped/predicted you would by using their current colors with their classic uniform) but I'm not a big fan of the color combinations on the caps.

Could you try the blue hat with the teal brim but make the "M" on the logo white? This would look especially good on the blue and teal alternates as the white "M" would complement the white script on the jersey.

As much as I love the upside down trident M as logo, it just doesn't work since it is a symbol of bad luck with mariners/sailors. Glad to see you kept the teal opposed to going to the blue/gold route many choose to take the M's.

I would have to agree with many others on the Mariners; the trident and the compass contrast each other in a way that doesn't really look good. It looks fine on the caps, but the top half of the primary logo just seems out of place. Maybe you should thicken the compass to better match the thickness of the trident.

BEHANCE | PORTFOLIO 

While I do like the idea behind it, I feel that it would be better if you used the old road wordmark's "S" to create a retro version of the current cap logo. The way it is now, it just comes off a little forced.

Yeah!

While youre at it, make an "M" that meshes with the rest of the "Mariners" wordmark that does not look like the bad luck upsidedown trident.

Thanks for all the feedback. Currently I am trying to figure out which direction to go with them.

Right now the simple trident-M and the compass really conflict with each other. Maybe if you bevel the trident it would blend in better with the rest of the logo (or de-bevel the compass). But right now the M and the rest of the logo don't flow well together

I like the new logo but I do agree with Kaz. I think that beveling the trident would do a lot in the overall appearance of the logo.

These were some of the first comments given, so I tried beveling the trident in a very simple way that matches the compass.

ScreenShot2014-06-25at81046PM.png

This still doesn't fix the concern that I have that the trident seems to be coming at you while the compass is straight up and down. Here is another option with the plane of the trident matching the compass:

ScreenShot2014-06-25at83357PM.png

Obviously, this doesn't fix anything about the upside-down trident as bad luck for Mariners. I don't know exactly what to think of this in relation to this thread; I'm not sure how much that matters since my intent is to combine eras from their history. If I don't take their trident years, I don't have much left to work with.

award%20sig.png

These were some of the first comments given, so I tried beveling the trident in a very simple way that matches the compass.

ScreenShot2014-06-25at81046PM.png

This still doesn't fix the concern that I have that the trident seems to be coming at you while the compass is straight up and down. Here is another option with the plane of the trident matching the compass:

ScreenShot2014-06-25at83357PM.png

The first one looks much, much better. That's a huge improvement.

The upside-down trident needs to stay. Without it, the concept would be about 90% their current look with the other 10% being the old school jersey script.

As for the symbolic meaning of the upside-down trident, I believe a "white elephant" symbolizes something that is an expensive, unprofitable burden, but no one seems to be bothered by that being the A's logo.

Archived