MLB Combination of Eras - D-Backs in Purple and Red (March 25)

davidmiller5

For the Sox fonts, try tracing or something with the Chicago 2 font on here. It looks to be a very close match to what the White Sox have for the "Sox" logo they have now.

Yeah, that would be great. I don't have the skill to trace fonts (especially at that low of a resolution), but if anyone would do these fonts, I know many people on the boards would be ecstatic (including me).

I understand with what you guys are saying with the Expos but I just want the Epos as it's self. What I was thinking maybe for Tampa Bay do like Navy blue, light blue, white, gray, yellow and black

I am doing the current MLB teams, and I don't have any plans of doing defunct teams.

Here are some things I have been working on with the White Sox. As I showed several days ago, I tried decreasing the spacing, and I think it looks better. As I said earlier, I needed to center the o and x with the S to fit the batter in the main logo. The first option is what the home uni looks like on the jersey and hat with the same Sox mark from the main logo. I also wanted to see what it would look like when I dropped the o and x back to where they were on my first attempt. The second example shows this.

ScreenShot2014-07-17at94723PM.pngScreenShot2014-07-17at94655PM.png

I do like how the first one matches the new main logo, but I think I prefer the second one. Which do you like better, or are neither of them working. Again, I tried making all letters the same size, but I couldn't stand how the weights/thickness of the o and x was bigger than the S, thus giving them extra emphasis. So I won't be doing that (unless someone can make the capital letter O and X from the Chicago 2 font cappital92 mentioned).

I also tried the gray jersey with a straightened version of the Chicago script they used from 1902-16, 30-38, and 76-81 (and similar designs--but different fonts--were used for many of the other years). I really like this jersey because of it ties in a script used different times going back all the way to their second year of existence. What do you think?

ScreenShot2014-07-17at94835PM.png

Also, the hat that went with the black jersey will go away and will be replaced with either the home/away hats or their flying sock logo (I think the batter logo would work better as a BP hat).

Thank you all for your interest in this series. Help me decide what to do with the Sox. Are these improvements or should I go in a different direction?

i like these a little bit more, still not a fan of SOX spelled out like that and if there was a way to have it like it is now going down it might look better. The Sox have had it like it is now with variations since around WWII approx. Would have liked to see some alts with other tyears involved. 1964-1968, 1972, 1977?, 1987-1990, 19teens road black, 1959 home that had a tad bit of red in it.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm finally back with a full White Sox update. I know some of you will not be happy so long as I keep the striped design, but I think it now does a good job of incorporating elements from different eras; in fact I think I either take or update things from 10 of the 12 decades of their existence.

WHITESOXLOGOSv2.png

WHITESOXHOMEUNIFORMSv2.png

WHITESOXROADUNIFORMSv2.png

WhiteSoxElementExplanationv2.png

WhiteSoxElementExplanation2.png

The biggest change from the shots I posted of updated uniforms is the hats. While I don't associate a C hat with the White Sox, the C is so different from the Cubs' hat that I think it works. In my opinion, the sock logo works with the alternate jerseys.

I also updated the halfway to St. Patrick's Day uniform. I kept the horizontal Sox hat, since I like the striping on it and it would only be worn once a year.

uniformirishv2.png

award%20sig.png

I'm finally back with a full White Sox update. I know some of you will not be happy so long as I keep the striped design, but I think it now does a good job of incorporating elements from different eras; in fact I think I either take or update things from 10 of the 12 decades of their existence.

WHITESOXLOGOSv2.png

WHITESOXHOMEUNIFORMSv2.png

WHITESOXROADUNIFORMSv2.png

WhiteSoxElementExplanationv2.png

WhiteSoxElementExplanation2.png

The biggest change from the shots I posted of updated uniforms is the hats. While I don't associate a C hat with the White Sox, the C is so different from the Cubs' hat that I think it works. In my opinion, the sock logo works with the alternate jerseys.

I also updated the halfway to St. Patrick's Day uniform. I kept the horizontal Sox hat, since I like the striping on it and it would only be worn once a year.

uniformirishv2.png

I like the update much better...

I can live with this update. The road jersey is far and away the best thing about this entire set.

I'm not a huge fan of the "C" on the cap. I still think you're missing a great opportunity by not using the Batterman logo, but the flying sock is a million times better than the "Sox" script. You could also try giving the caps a silver brim, which is a good look and something they actually wore for several games last season as an attempted slump-buster.

I'd make the alternate hat white with a black bill or make the front panel white

This is a good example of what your suggestion might look like. And it looks great with a silver brim. *hint hint*

And thanks for posting the updated St. Patty's set. For some reason, that reviled horizontal "Sox" script actually looks good on this cap, and the stripes on the front panel work because they resemble the Irish flag. However, I think the sock logo cap would be a good alternative for the Irish set, especially if you used this coloring.

Looking forward to see what you do with Cleveland.

Thanks for the feedback. Here is an update; the only change is the alternate hat.

WHITESOXHOMEUNIFORMSv22.png

WHITESOXROADUNIFORMSv22.png

I usually hate white front panels with gray pants, but I think it would work on the road because the black jersey has the big white stripe across the front of it.

Still think more could have been done but they do look 100% better.

Cleveland is gonna be tricky. To use Wahoo or not use Wahoo, that is indeed the question.

That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of Chief Wahoo haters or to take arms against the Anti-Wahoo crowd... (sorry, English teacher humor that no one else will find funny).

I'm leaning toward not using it. It is such a major part of their identity that it can certainly be argued that it should be a part of a combination-of-eras concept. But I live about 10 minutes from an Indian reservation, teach quite a few Indians, play in a softball league at the reservation, etc. so my thoughts of Chief Wahoo have probably changed since when I lived in Ohio. I don't see it as is a positive portrayal of native cultures, so I will try to do a concept without it.

I took some time off from this project to do a Cavs redesign for a ESPN/Paul Lukas quasi-contest. Now my wife and I will be biking 400 miles over the next 5 days with about 90 others to help raise money for a missions agency. I might have some time in the evenings to work on concepts, but I'm not sure. So it might be a while until I can really focus on the Indians.

Thanks again for your continued interest.

award%20sig.png

The Indians had some Native American logos in the 1920s and 1930s that were much less offensive/caricature-ish than Wahoo. Not the most glamorous of logos, but if you wanted to keep Wahoo in spirit (since he's been around so long), that might be something to consider.

Cleveland is gonna be tricky. To use Wahoo or not use Wahoo, that is indeed the question.

That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of Chief Wahoo haters or to take arms against the Anti-Wahoo crowd... (sorry, English teacher humor that no one else will find funny).

I'm leaning toward not using it. It is such a major part of their identity that it can certainly be argued that it should be a part of a combination-of-eras concept. But I live about 10 minutes from an Indian reservation, teach quite a few Indians, play in a softball league at the reservation, etc. so my thoughts of Chief Wahoo have probably changed since when I lived in Ohio. I don't see it as is a positive portrayal of native cultures, so I will try to do a concept without it.

I took some time off from this project to do a Cavs redesign for a ESPN/Paul Lukas quasi-contest. Now my wife and I will be biking 400 miles over the next 5 days with about 90 others to help raise money for a missions agency. I might have some time in the evenings to work on concepts, but I'm not sure. So it might be a while until I can really focus on the Indians.

Thanks again for your continued interest.

How do i add attachments?

Thanks for the feedback. Here is an update; the only change is the alternate hat.

WHITESOXHOMEUNIFORMSv22.png

WHITESOXROADUNIFORMSv22.png

I usually hate white front panels with gray pants, but I think it would work on the road because the black jersey has the big white stripe across the front of it.

This is amazing.

bSLCtu2.png

David, I have an odd request. Could you put together a black and pink version of your Mets concept? The idea comes from this recent article that suggests the Mets nearly wore that color scheme back when they first came into the league. The black would replace the blue and the pink would replace the orange. I really love how that black and pink logo looks in the article and am curious to see how the whole uniform set would look.

Pink_Black_Mets.png

Archived