MLB Combination of Eras - D-Backs in Purple and Red (March 25)

davidmiller5

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NYMETSLOGOSv2.png

MetsUniformsv2.png

MetsElementExplanation.png

The Mets have had a consistent look since their inaugural season in 1962. Personally, I don't think that they should wear pinstripes; if you are the little brother in New York why mimic the Yankees iconic look? But they have consistently worn pinstripes, so they stay.

The only tweaks to the Mets logo happened in 1999 when they updated colors and got rid of the little NY to the left of the Mets script. I kept the current logo but reverted to their original colors in which the blue is a bit lighter and the orange is less bright.

I wanted to incorporate some aspect of their 1986 uniforms when they won the World Series, so I gave them racing stripes on the alternate.

I didn't think an alternate hat was necessary. The current hat has an orange button (squatchee), but I removed that to give it a more classic look.

I went with the original Mr. Met as the tertiary logo. He was used from 1963-1970.

I decided that the drop shadow and black alternate didn't need to be represented. I think that blue alternate with orange accents looks much more like the Mets and New York as a whole. (And I know what these boards think of the black Mets days.)

EDIT: I updated the tertiary logo on 4/7/14 because ren69 updated the Mr. Met logo.

All excellent stuff - the whole set.

Before you wrap this up, here's some feedback on the Mets.

1. Thank you for no black!

2. The Mets were the first team to use the alternate colored squatchee, so I really think it should stay.

3. The cream homes are really popular now and reflect the 1969 team.

4. The home alternate has the road workmark.

5. I love your point about distinguishing the Mets from the Yankees and deemphisazing the pinestrips, but the racing strip jerseys need pinstripes.

Seriously though, you are crushing it!

No, it's not dead. I am actually trying to collaborate on the Orioles with someone else, and progress has slowed down due to this. I have also started working on Boston, but will wait to post them until Baltimore is completed. I have also spent some of my designing time doing some things for the Logolympiad which has also caused me to slow down on these concepts. Thanks again for your interest.

award%20sig.png

No, it's not dead. I am actually trying to collaborate on the Orioles with someone else, and progress has slowed down due to this. I have also started working on Boston, but will wait to post them until Baltimore is completed. I have also spent some of my designing time doing some things for the Logolympiad which has also caused me to slow down on these concepts. Thanks again for your interest.

Thanks for the update, David. :)

Glad to hear this isn't dead. I cannot wait to see Baltimore. Hoping for realistic bird because I think it's a better logo than the cartoon bird...... not sure if that's a unpopular opinion :P. Also wonder what you have in mind for Toronto...... I have a few ideas about the team and what I'd like to see.

:wub:(dance):boogie:(bow):jawdrop::censored:(sleepz):puke::woot::sleeping::hockeysmiley::therock::oops:

I think I like smilies too much!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finally back. I can't believe it has been almost a month since I finished up the Twins. One of the reasons this has taken longer to get put together is because I collaborated with John Adsit. John did a redesign of the Orioles new logo and posted it on these boards. He did a fantastic job of combining different bird logos they used from 1966-91 with their current bird logo (since 2012). Obviously, this fits in perfectly with my combination of eras idea, so I asked if I could use his logo. He graciously has allowed me to use his logo and even expressed an interest in further working with me on the Orioles' design. He provided good feedback on ideas I had and let me know what he wanted to see in an Orioles concept. Here is the link to his Orioles logo thread on these boards, and here is the link to the work on his own website. Check it out.

ORIOLESLOGOS.png

ORIOLESUNIFORMSHOME.png

ORIOLESUNIFORMSROAD.png

ORIOLESElementExplanationv2.png

John does a great job of showing what logos he combines in his "Anatomy of a Redesign" image, so I won't go over it again here. You probably noticed that there are tweaks between his original redesign and the hat logo I am using. He decided to further combine eras by adding the "rubber ducky" bird and the white eyelet to the hat.

I decided to get rid of the ornithologically correct bird, because it doesn't fit with the rest of their current identity. Their current combination of cartoon bird on the hat and ornithologically correct bird on the official logo makes no sense to me. I also took out the O's logo because I have never been a big fan of it, and I don't really like when teams put nicknames on game worn elements.

I also changed the wordmark used on the black jersey because it would primarily be used on the road. I feel that everything else if fairly self-explanatory, but if you have any comments please post them, and if you have any questions please ask.

Once again, I want to thank John Adsit for letting me use his logo and help me out with the other parts of their redesign. Here is a link to the home page of his website so you can check out his other work.

award%20sig.png

So very happy this series is finally back in action.

The Orioles look great! I like your decision to use only one hat logo. Keeps things simple.

My only suggestion would be to use their late '50s-early '60s script. I prefer the playfulness of that script to their current wordmark.

Archived