MLB Combination of Eras - D-Backs in Purple and Red (March 25)

davidmiller5

Wow, that placket looks fantastic. Really breaks up the plaid, and is a bit reminiscent of the Dodgers' 1933 uniform.

Thanks; I updated the Dodgers' uniform set to include the blue placket. Link is here.

PERFECT on the Rockies wordmarks! The vertical stroke of the k and similar letters being not parallel with the button line and pinstripes was bugging me. Shrink the front numbers such that a two-digit number does not go past the end of the wordmark and you're done!

Now that I see the hats, one last tweak should do it:

1) All black cap should use the alternate logo, outlined in silver/grey and white

2) Purple bill:

_a. Widen the base of the mountain such that it spans the whole bill, not just the front panels.

_b. Add peaks on the sides as you see fit, semi-symmetrically

I will try these out and see what looks best.

I think the Rockies are really perfected with those numbers. Rounds out the uniform nicely.

Your tweaked Rockies are just perfect. Cap is much better and the angling of the wordmark is just perfect. Well done!

These tweaks made both the Dodgers and Rockies many times better (especially the cleaned up Rockies caps and wordmarks). Well done!

Thanks for the encouragement.

Loving the idea!

Thanks. I see this is your first post; welcome to the boards.

award%20sig.png

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David, I don't like the Rockies set. The mixing with the Bears just doesn't work for me. I would have prefered you to use some elements from the NHL team. But eh, most people like it. So no biggie there.

That being all said, the Dodgers looks great. That plaid jersey looks awesome. I may hate this team but I love the concept. Great work.

:wub:(dance):boogie:(bow):jawdrop::censored:(sleepz):puke::woot::sleeping::hockeysmiley::therock::oops:

I think I like smilies too much!

PERFECT on the Rockies wordmarks! The vertical stroke of the k and similar letters being not parallel with the button line and pinstripes was bugging me. Shrink the front numbers such that a two-digit number does not go past the end of the wordmark and you're done!

1) All black cap should use the alternate logo, outlined in silver/grey and white

2) Purple bill:

_a. Widen the base of the mountain such that it spans the whole bill, not just the front panels.

I'm finally back, and I have...a fairly minor update. Both work and family/friend commitments have kept me from doing much for the past week or so. I finally was able to work on the Rockies. I took Giants1883's suggestions (except that what he suggested I do to one hat I did to both hats). I wasn't sure how an even bigger mountain would look, but I think it does look quite a bit better to match the width of the bill. I also think the outlines help the mountain stand out.

I think I am finally finished with the Rox, but let me know what you think.

ROCKIESLOGOSv4.png

rockieshomeuniformsv4.png

rockiesawayuniformsv4.png

c6f890e5-b60c-4d47-b004-bcdfa43801c7.png9cf7013528cd477499b40da703ba5b40.png

award%20sig.png

2) Purple bill:

At first, I wasn't too thrilled about the alternate/road cap. But now I'm starting to love it! Well done!

I'm finally back, and I have...a fairly minor update. Both work and family/friend commitments have kept me from doing much for the past week or so. I finally was able to work on the Rockies. I took Giants1883's suggestions (except that what he suggested I do to one hat I did to both hats). I wasn't sure how an even bigger mountain would look, but I think it does look quite a bit better to match the width of the bill. I also think the outlines help the mountain stand out.

I think I am finally finished with the Rox, but let me know what you think.

ROCKIESLOGOSv4.png

rockieshomeuniformsv4.png

rockiesawayuniformsv4.png

c6f890e5-b60c-4d47-b004-bcdfa43801c7.png9cf7013528cd477499b40da703ba5b40.png

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

MARLINSLOGOS.png

MarlinsUniforms.png

There are really only two ways I could go with this one, either old look with new colors or new look with old colors. Since I haven't been a big fan of the Marlins' redesign, I had planned to use the Marlins' old logo and wordmarks with the new colors, but when I tried it, I really didn't like it. (And no Miami wordmark was also a problem.) A surprising thing happened; in working with this concept I decided I don't hate their rebrand as much as I thought I did. It seems to capture Miami's culture (although I'm not an expert), and it is a unique look in baseball. I decided part of their problem is that they try to be extreme, but then they back off of that. I decided to keep pushing the envelope with gratuitous jerseys and hats and by using the abstract Marlin as a hat logo.

I ended up using their current look but their old color scheme (orange was listed as a supporting color on ColorWerx since it was used on an alternate logo) plus their current yellow. As you can see, the orange and yellow are only used as small accents on the uniforms mainly worn. (They would only use their orange and yellow jerseys a few times per year.) Note that there is only one aqua jersey but could be worn both at home and on the road.

The hats are somewhat interchangeable. The aqua hat could be worn with the white uniform, the black marlin hat could be worn with the white, gray, black, or aqua jerseys, the regular hats could be worn with any of the alternates, etc. The M hats would be worn most of the time.

The secondary logo is an updated version of their old logo (used from 93-11). I used the new abstract marlin and flipped everything else to match the right-facing marlin. The black and orange alternates use the metallic silver wordmarks like what they used on their black alternates from 2003-11.

I decided that I was allowed to use a font for NOBs that closely resembles their wordmark fonts. The Marlins have always used a fairly standard block font for NOBs, but I decided it was within the parameters of my guidelines stated above. Since they do use a similar font in their logo and wordmark I decided I could use that font elsewhere.

I decided not to do an explanation of jersey elements for the Marlins since there are really only two eras of Marlins design history. I have tried to explain myself in words this time. I would love some feedback as to whether it is worth my time to do the graphic illustration to explain how I ended up with my designs. Did you like what I did with the Braves or do you prefer more wording like the Marlins?

I like the aqua and orange jerseys! The aqua is a throwback when the Marlins first came into MLB. I like the yellow jersey as well but I wonder how that would go over with the players and fans? I also like the hat without the "M". When it comes to jerseys, personally, I think the home jersey should have the name of the team, in this case, "Marlins" and the road jersey should have the name of the city or state, in this case, "Miami". Have you submitted these to the Marlins?

Well, the variance of opinions is about what I expected when I put up nine options. I hoped one or two options would clearly be favored. I think I have settled on what I will use, but I will wait to unveil it until I post the concept (oh, the suspense). The navy and yellow is a very good look (and adding light blue would be a good addition as well), but there are so many blue teams in the MLB that I am looking to go with brown.

Here is an update for the Dodgers. The only change is the script on the white and blue jerseys.

DODGERSLOGOSv2.png

DODGERSUNIFORMSv2.png

I can see the plaid alternate working for the Dodgers with their checkered past. *laughs at own joke*

What's up with the red numbers on the front of the home jersey?

Here is the Pirates update. Just removed the stripes from the main hat and the yellow hat. The hats are interchangeable; they don't specifically go with the jerseys they are above. The plain black hat is the one that would be worn most of the time.

PIRATESLOGOSv2.png

pirateshomeuniformsv2.png

piratesAWAYuniformsv2.png

I assume the yellow would be more like a mustard yellow? That would be a nice alternate! You have some great ideas!! I say submit this to the Pirates!!

I was finally able to finish up the Padres.

PADRESLOGOS.png

PADREShomeuniforms.png

PADRESawayuniforms.png

PADRESElementExplanation.png

As I said earlier, I wasn't going to do another brown and yellow concept because there have been so many other similar concepts. Then I decided that this was my concept, and I shouldn't worry too much about what others have done. The orange and brown just didn't have enough contrast for me to think that it looked great together. I didn't really like either brown that they have used; the one is too light and the other is too maroon. So I combined them. (I used a gradient to figure out what the exact combination of the two browns would be.)

I grew up with them wearing their khaki color for their away uniforms, and for some reason the Padres just don't look right in gray to me. It does also somewhat resemble their camouflage jerseys they have worn without being camo. (I don't like the idea of sports teams wearing camo, to me it trivializes the horror and seriousness of war. I understand that teams are trying to honor military personnel and veterans, but I won't be incorporating any camo jerseys into this concept series.)

The alternate hat is obviously taken from their 1972-84 hats. I decided to use the mid-90s alternate logo instead of their old Padres logo. I prefer the more realistic monk instead of the weirdly-shaped head of the old (and now re-adopted) logo.

award%20sig.png

Nice work on this, David. I have to say, I don't think the light blue script on the yellow top works, but everything else is exceptional. The blue placket and sleeve piping on the home and away tops is particularly a nice touch.

Archived