A11 Football League Branding

JackieMoon

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least they shortened the Sea Lions name some. When they first reported the team name it was "San Francisco Bay Area Sea Lions" All I could think about was, really?

IMHO, I think that may have been a typo. This might be subject to change also as Bay Area is kinda awkward. SF Sea Lions works better unless they are playing in one of the outer laying cities like Palo Alto instead of Candlestick Park.

At least they shortened the Sea Lions name some. When they first reported the team name it was "San Francisco Bay Area Sea Lions" All I could think about was, really?

IMHO, I think that may have been a typo. This might be subject to change also as Bay Area is kinda awkward. SF Sea Lions works better unless they are playing in one of the outer laying cities like Palo Alto instead of Candlestick Park.

The San Jose Mercury News reports that Scott McKibben, the A11 Football League's chief executive officer and commissioner, said that the Sea Lions have explored playing their home games at Stanford Stadium, Cal's Memorial Stadium, and Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara. The odds are that the team won't be playing in San Francisco proper, hence the "Bay Area" place-name.

http://www.mercurynews.com/rss/ci_25079182?source=rss

looks like i might have been wrong about the helmets only being a re-color. if you know where to go, you can see multiple concepts but i dont want to be the one to spoil the surprise. and i can't be sure those are all going to be used by the AFL11 anyway. we'll see

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

My random thoughts on the state of A11 Football League branding...

* Based solely on the helmets, I'd rank the A11 Football League's identities, thus far, as follows:

Tie 1) Dallas Wranglers

Tie 1) Chicago Staggs

3) Bay Area Sea Lions

4) Tampa Bay Bandits

5) New Jersey Generals

6) Los Angeles Express

* I know in the minority on this point, but I think the resurrection of the old USFL identities is a mistake.

First of all, if I were calling the shots for the league, I'd be looking to launch fresh, new team identities in an effort to carve a unique place for the teams - and league - in the history of sports and sports branding. Second, I wouldn't be looking to invoke the legacy of an entity that, ultimately, failed. Third, while I understand that there are some nostalgic alternative-pro football enthusiasts out there, I question whether said subset of fans is large enough to make adopting the old USFL identities a true bonus for the new league.

Incidentally, I give the Dallas Wranglers identity a pass, as the name graced a USFL team in Arizona. Further, the color scheme for the A11FL Dallas Wranglers is entirely different than that which the Arizona Wranglers used.

* While I appreciate the nod that the Staggs' identity gives to the history of football in Chicago, I can't stand the spelling. The homage to Amos Alonzo Stagg would be just as meaningful - and, as recognized - if the team's name was spelled in the manner referencing an adult male deer.

* The notion of each A11 Football League team employing three helmets over the course of a season strikes me as being as "gimmicky" as the circuit's offensive system.

I'll agree with you, Brian, on the first three being the best so far. I think there's room for improvement on the others and they have a year to work them out like the Jaguars did.

As far as resurrecting USFL identities, the new USFL had every opportunity to keep the legacy in house. For whatever reason, they didn't and that's on them. Hopefully, they don't inherit the problems those franchises had. IMHO, I don't think the USFL rebrand teams will dominate the league. I have the feeling it will be a 50/50 split using the rebrands as a draw and a nod. I could even see them bring in an old WFL identity or maybe an XFL one if it can be worked out with Vinnie Mac and the family.

I believe there was a previous Dallas Wranglers team but I forget at the moment so I'll have to do the research. I also believe the original Staggs used the antlers/deer referral but that's another research job.

The multiple helmet issue I think is more of a thumb of the nose to the NFL's one helmet only policy. Basically, they're saying "our league will be that much safer than yours, we can do multiple!"

The only other point I want to address ATM is uniform related. Instead of using the shield/crest at the bottom of the jersey neck, I'd like to see them use the Winged Football that they occasionally use.

* While I appreciate the nod that the Staggs' identity gives to the history of football in Chicago, I can't stand the spelling. The homage to Amos Alonzo Stagg would be just as meaningful - and, as recognized - if the team's name was spelled in the manner referencing an adult male deer.

But then it would be directly referencing the basketball team. I imagine they are trying to differentiate it somewhat from them. I view this as a nod to both to Stagg and the Stags.

Archived