A11 Football League Branding

JackieMoon

I also believe the original Staggs used the antlers/deer referral but that's another research job.

To the best of my recollection, there has never been a pro sports franchise named the Chicago Staggs. The Chicago Stags - with a single "g" in the nickname - were a franchise in the Basketball Association of America and National Basketball Association. Said team did, in fact, feature a depiction of an adult male deer in its logo.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also believe the original Staggs used the antlers/deer referral but that's another research job.

To the best of my recollection, there has never been a pro sports franchise named the Chicago Staggs. The Chicago Stags - with a single "g" in the nickname - were a franchise in the Basketball Association of America and National Basketball Association. Said team did, in fact, feature a depiction of an adult male deer in its logo.

And isn't that probably why they can't use it? The Bulls wore Stags throwbacks a few years back. The NBA probably still owns the identity. (And simply adding a G might not even be enough.)

New Jersey Generals:1654246_601014506634605_1156468777_n.png

The stars forming a pentagon in the middle... Is this an existing military mark, or did Dane hit on something cool here?
it's actually a very old rank. General of the armies. It's not been used since Eisenhower. The Pentagon wasn't as apparent in the old mark I don't think

And isn't that probably why they can't use it? The Bulls wore Stags throwbacks a few years back. The NBA probably still owns the identity. (And simply adding a G might not even be enough.)

A trademark search at the USPTO site shows that NBA Properties abandoned the Chicago Stags' marks. So, who knows what is up with regard to the availability of Chicago Stags with the single "g"?

Thanks for the correction on the Staggs.

Up until Eisenhower's promotion to General of the Armies and Supreme Allied Commander, the rank of General of the Armies was four stars and was last held by Blackjack Pershing. The story of the additional fifth star has to do with General Pershing's never having been relieved of that rank. There's still an unofficial design for a new GoAs that MacArthur submitted that is six stars. Both Pershing and George Washington were later named GoAs afterwards but Eisenhower was the Ranking GoAs.

Thanks for the correction on the Staggs.

Up until Eisenhower's promotion to General of the Armies and Supreme Allied Commander, the rank of General of the Armies was four stars and was last held by Blackjack Pershing. The story of the additional fifth star has to do with General Pershing's never having been relieved of that rank. There's still an unofficial design for a new GoAs that MacArthur submitted that is six stars. Both Pershing and George Washington were later named GoAs afterwards but Eisenhower was the Ranking GoAs.

But in most military images of the 5 star general, the stars do not touch. So you kinda see the pentagon, but not outright.

298px-US_General_of_the_Army_Flag.svg.pn

But the extra g makes the name a reference to Amos Alonzo Stagg, who coached the University of Chicago's football team during its glory years. And could the NBA really stop a name not currently used by any of their franchises from being used in a completely different sport?

But the extra g makes the name a reference to Amos Alonzo Stagg, who coached the University of Chicago's football team during its glory years.

Then why the antlers on the helmet? If they wanted to honor Stagg, why not slap his profile on the helmet? The team could opt for either a fairly realistic portrayal of Stagg (à la the Washington Redskins' logo), or a more stylized depiction (akin to the New England Patriots' mark).

;)

Seriously though, if the team is going to primarily reference the "adult male deer" homophone of Stagg when it comes to visual branding, why not just go with Stags as the team name? Let people work out that a Chicago-based football team named the Stags is a tip-of-the-hat to the legendary, sound-alike coach.

I know, I know... it isn't that big of a deal. Still, between the gimmicky offensive system at the core of the league's existence and the over-the-top three-helmet-designs-per-team nonsense, I'm about ready for the A11 Football League to err on the side of restraint somewhere... anywhere.

That said, I do love that Stags' helmet design.

Hey! Maybe one of the Stags' two alternate helmets will feature a profile of Amos Alonzo Stagg as on it!!!

:P

Archived