A11 Football League

Sodboy13

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are suppose to have a balanced 14 game season (2x' every other team). As for the division alignment, I'm guessing an East and West. For the playoffs, hard to tell. Betting it will be the top 2 from each.

"... it is indicating it will have a 14-week regular season in 2015, and a three-week playoff format with five of the eight teams qualifying. The No. 4 and 5 seeds will play in a wild-card game, and the four remaining teams would play in the semifinal games."

Nice, so I'm guessing one division then. That's good. The true top teams will be in the playoffs then. I want to see this league take off and do well. Me personally, I am just burnt out completely on NCAAFB and NFL. Time for something new to take a change of pace.

Why are people so against other leagues? Obviously they'll fail, but people around here seem to get angry just at the very proposition of a new league.

I've wondered the same thing. You'd think a community built upon sports logo and branding interests would see the value in having another quality league around introducing new looks on a regular cycle.

Why are people so against other leagues? Obviously they'll fail, but people around here seem to get angry just at the very proposition of a new league.

I've wondered the same thing. You'd think a community built upon sports logo and branding interests would see the value in having another quality league around introducing new looks on a regular cycle.

I do.

This isn't it. Quality leagues don't abuse/use kickstarter among other things.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Since they already have an identity for the Bay Area, I'd really like to see them re-use the Invaders moniker as an 8th all-road team- Team Invaders, if you will. They'd play half their games versus the other seven teams at their home fields, and their own "home" games each played at a different city. That way the league gets to both test differnt markets by seeing how they support a single game rather than an entire season and they get to spread their brand among far more markets than the originally planned eight. Also, if they need to relocate one of the other teams (or find a permanent home for this one), this might be a better way to see if a market is viable rather than just crunching numbers. Some larger markets might fail or a smaller market be surprisingly supportive.

Well, that's how I might consider doing it anyway. It can't be any worse than how other upstart leagues tried it.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Tebow.

Seriously, they've already offered him.

They've talked with his agent multiple times and made an offer. Tebow has turned down other offers like this because they aren't the offer he wants: a chance to start at QB in the NFL. The A11 offense may have "made" him but he wants the NFL. He's been working with Tom House for months to make himself an NFL quality QB. He won't take any NON-NFL offer.

As far as traveling teams go, I think history has pretty much ruled that out. If you want to test a market, you use existing teams.

A gimmick offensive system, playing games in the spring, the resurrection - thus far - of 3-1/2 old USFL team identities, and teams rotating through three helmets per season aren't a solid enough foundation to build an alternative pro football league upon.

Sorry, but the alt-pro football enthusiasts who frequent internet communities such as the CCSLC don't constitute a large enough target audience to successfully sustain such a venture. Even though I count myself as an alt-pro football enthusiast, I recognize that I am part of a niche audience. The vast majority of sports fans, including those who consider themselves football "junkies", have their appetite more than sated by the National Football League and major college football.

Forget about being a "complementary" football offering to the National Football League. Hell, forget about getting as far as the United States Football League, the World Football League, the United Football League, or the XFL managed to. The A11 Football League is likely to have its hands full surpassing the track-record of such stillborn entities as the Professional Spring Football League, the All American Football League, and the Spring Professional Football League.

Best case scenario? The A11 Football League actually manages to kick-off its 2015 season and struggle through a few weeks of games played before sparse crowds prior to collapsing. The more likely scenario? This year's "showcase" games at Raymond James Stadium and the Cotton Bowl are the only contests that ever take place, with the A11 Football League going the way of the dodo by the end of the first week of June 2014.

So, 7 cities have been named:

1. San Francisco, 2. Los Angeles, 3. Denver, 4. Dallas, 5. Chicago, 6. Tampa Bay, and 7. New Jersey.

According to the A11's Facebook page, it has a map of the 12 finalist. Team 8 has to be either:

Seattle, Phoenix, San Antonio, Detroit, or New York City.

If I were a betting man, I'm guessing Team 8 will be Detroit. The reason I say that is because if they were smart they would try to spread out the 8 teams throughout the country to get mass exposure/fanbase. Since there are already four Western cities named, Detroit just makes sense. Of course that has a lot to do with ownership.

So, 7 cities have been named:

1. San Francisco, 2. Los Angeles, 3. Denver, 4. Dallas, 5. Chicago, 6. Tampa Bay, and 7. New Jersey.

According to the A11's Facebook page, it has a map of the 12 finalist. Team 8 has to be either:

Seattle, Phoenix, San Antonio, Detroit, or New York City.

If I were a betting man, I'm guessing Team 8 will be Detroit. The reason I say that is because if they were smart they would try to spread out the 8 teams throughout the country to get mass exposure/fanbase. Since there are already four Western cities named, Detroit just makes sense. Of course that has a lot to do with ownership.

It's Detroit. Don't ask me how I know, just trust me. The Michigan Panthers (possibly Detroit Panthers), with an updated version of the USFL mark on a white helmet.

I'm prepared to give A11FL a chance. Yeah, they might be resurrecting USFL names/marks in some places. Yeah, they're still chasing money from investors (the Kickstarter thing's about publicity, not money - what they're soliciting for is chump [Trump?] change for a pro football franchise). But if they've made a deal with ESPN, to air on any of its channels, that alone puts them ahead of the ArenaFL and its pretenders in terms of exposure - and that's not nothing.

nav-logo.png

Found an article from Mathos Football World that leaves out NYC and has Philadelphia instead. There's also a graphic on the league fb page listing the states that have already been given a franchise plus Michigan and Pennsylvania. I looked for the Denver announcement that sohiosportsfreak mentioned and didn't find it.

It was in the article the other day on MSN about Tebow.

Here is an interesting article I found:

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisco/new-a11-pro-football-league-will-have-bay-area-team/Content?oid=2698624

According to this, the cities left in the running for the last two spots are:

Denver, Detroit, Kansas City, Philadelphia, and Phoenix.

Must be a lot to do with stadium deals, ownership and what not. This could change a lot of things. KC could be that 8th team.

Or you could read Mac's post and know that it's Detroit.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I don't understand why people hate the idea of other pro football leagues.... I actually liked the United Football League when it existed a few years back. the A11FL seems pretty exciting too. I've also heard that the USFL is making a comeback as well. I'm always in favor of small start up leagues. But at the same time I doubt they'll have an impact like the NFL.

I find it very odd they're targeting NFL markets. Seems that there's a niche out there for "next-tier" cities that don't have pro football; trying to cultivate loyalty in places that already have a pro team seems crazy.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I find it very odd they're targeting NFL markets. Seems that there's a niche out there for "next-tier" cities that don't have pro football; trying to cultivate loyalty in places that already have a pro team seems crazy.

You have to wonder, though, if ESPN would have signed on if it was a league of teams in places like Birmingham, Orlando, Omaha and San Antonio. That TV deal might be the one thing this league has that will give it a fighting chance.

That might be a fair point; however, if nobody tunes in to watch the games, will that end up really mattering?

A quick flip through the MSAs (population in millions):

2. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim CA: 13.1

12. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario CA: 4.4

24. Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro OR-WA: 2.3

25. San Antonio-New Braunfels TX: 2.2*

26. Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford FL: 2.2

27. Sacramento-Roseville-Arden-Arcade CA: 2.2

31. Las Vegas-Henderson-Paradise NV: 2.0

32. Columbus OH: 1.9

35. Austin-Round Rock TX: 1.8*

37. Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News VA: 1.7

41. Memphis TN-MS-AR: 1.3

42. Oklahoma City OK: 1.3

That's not a bad list. The reality is that you'll never take on the behemoth that is the NFL and come out ahead; why not carve your own niche? (Oh, and make sure you're properly funded for the long haul; you only come out ahead if you get entrenched, and one season ain't gonna do that.)

* - You could almost consider San Antonio and Austin as one area, given the proximity (and how football mad Texas is).

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Birmingham has been successful with its teams so lumping it in with those other markets is deceptive. Legion Field has been upgraded since the Stallions' time. BirminghamProSports can verify that along with others.

San Antonio is the faster growing market with the recent success of the UTSA program in C-USA and the hard times t.u. has fallen on. El Paso would even be a good market to look at for expansion with its recent move into Triple A baseball.

Archived