Ballparks/Stadiums/Arena in the movies

johnnysama

I just read an article by the Seattle Times' Larry Stone about the Mariners involvement with The Naked Gun and it didn't mention anything about merchandising. The Mariners, at that time, had the worst logo and uniforms in their history anyway.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The final scene of The Naked Gun took place at Angels game, but it was filmed at Dodger Stadium.

MLB forced them to use the Mariners as one of the teams, which is why the Dodgers weren't the home team.

Really? Why was that?

They had some of the lowest attendance/merch sales and were one of the worse teams at the time. Trying to boost the brand a little bit.

That may be true, but it sounds like an urban legend.
Do you have anything that says differently?
Um, the person making the original claim usually provides proof.

• 1 month later...

What, not one mention of Washington's RFK Stadium getting

picked up and moved across DC by Magneto
in the new X-Men movie? (Or that it's shown being prepped for baseball, despite the scene taking place in 1973 when there was no MLB team playing there?) You're slipping, people... :P

CCSLC signature.png

Dirty Harry, Kezar Syadium.

The film was shot just after the 49ers packed up and moved to Candlestick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kezar_Stadium#Dirty_Harry

DirtyHarry28.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

The Natural was filmed at the old Rockpile (War Memorial Stadium) in Buffalo NY, former home of the Bisons baseball and Bills football teams.

Also, that Syracuse football movie starring Dennis Quaid (name escapes me) used Northwestern's Ryan Field as the mock Syracuse stadium.

The Natural was filmed at the old Rockpile (War Memorial Stadium) in Buffalo NY, former home of the Bisons baseball and Bills football teams.

Also, that Syracuse football movie starring Dennis Quaid (name escapes me) used Northwestern's Ryan Field as the mock Syracuse stadium.

The answer we were looking for was The Express. I can't believe I didn't realize it was Ryan Field. I think that field is very distinctive.

• 5 weeks later...

I can't believe this hasn't come up yet, but the Field of Dreams is an actual baseball field in the middle of a cornfield in Iowa. It's still kept in good condition, and you can visit it. One of my best memories with my dad was playing catch with him on the field, just like the scene in the movie.

It's _____________ and Toledo still sucks.

[insert time here]

I can't believe this hasn't come up yet, but the Field of Dreams is an actual baseball field in the middle of a cornfield in Iowa. It's still kept in good condition, and you can visit it. One of my best memories with my dad was playing catch with him on the field, just like the scene in the movie.

Now that you mention it, Kevin Costner (the lead actor in said movie) recently revisited the field for the film's 25th anniversary.

UBwef0L.png

• 1 month later...

Now that you mention it, Kevin Costner (the lead actor in said movie) recently revisited the field for the film's 25th anniversary.

I've always wondered if they fix up the site real nice such as adding temporary bleachers and whatnot, they could potentially host an professional game at the movie site. It could be like between the Single-A Midwest League Cedar Rapid Kernels and the Clinton LumberKings or something like that.

I've always wondered if they fix up the site real nice such as adding temporary bleachers and whatnot, they could potentially host an professional game at the movie site. It could be like between the Single-A Midwest League Cedar Rapid Kernels and the Clinton LumberKings or something like that.

They'd have to put a real fence up in the outfield. Nobody wants to see the outfielder going back for a fly ball and running over James Earl Jones. They should leave it as it is.

It's _____________ and Toledo still sucks.

[insert time here]

I can't believe you guys are missing out on the most famous arena usage in movies of all time...

Of course, I'm talking about the old Pittsburgh Civic Arena (The Igloo) in Sudden Death.

A shot of The Igloo is reused in Best in Show, even though it takes place in Philadelphia.

Speaking of The Igloo, I can't remember if I already mentioned "The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh."

court2.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived