Mizzou's Michael Sam comes out

McCall

The NFL is not ready. And you know what. It won't be ready for its first gay player whether that's 2014 or 2024.

Hopefully Sam helps a great deal with the transition. He seems like a thoughtful, determined guy that can win people over. So next to a superstar who is already respected, this is about the next best option.

I think the NFL is ready, the players I should say. Executives and fans, not so much.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm feeling really fatigued today so I'm not gonna effort-post about it, but treating "who cares" as the new homophobia is just, I dunno. I think most people mean well when they say it. You can't expect everyone to give a standing ovation.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Nobody's saying they have to. Only that "Who cares? Why so we have to know?" is the bigot's new dog-whistle. When somebody accidentally stumbles upon troublesome language, it's important to let them know so they can watch out for it in the future.

The NFL is not ready. And you know what. It won't be ready for its first gay player whether that's 2014 or 2024.

Hopefully Sam helps a great deal with the transition. He seems like a thoughtful, determined guy that can win people over. So next to a superstar who is already respected, this is about the next best option.

I think the NFL is ready, the players I should say. Executives and fans, not so much.

Given that marriage equality is polling around 50/50 in states that not long ago modified their constitutions to ban it (even in the South), I think the American people are more ready than we give them credit for.

Sometimes the arc of history is short. The progress we've seen in the last decade is nothing short of miraculous, and that's not all driven by us on the coasts.

I'm gonna have to speak up in defense of Greg Bedard here. I've read quite a bit of his work, and he's pretty damn legit. Just because he works under Peter King doesn't mean that I automatically would link him as being the same kind of blowhard as King. I don't really think he would actually watch 922 or whatever number of snaps of Missouri's season just to conveniently condemn Sam's credentials because he's gay.

spacer.png

No.

And I don't think it matters either, look at Jackie Robinson.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

I'm gonna have to speak up in defense of Greg Bedard here. I've read quite a bit of his work, and he's pretty damn legit. Just because he works under Peter King doesn't mean that I automatically would link him as being the same kind of blowhard as King. I don't really think he would actually watch 922 or whatever number of snaps of Missouri's season just to conveniently condemn Sam's credentials because he's gay.

I don't think he would actually watch 922 snaps period.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Peter King is a :censored:stick of the lowest caliber. Nothing else needs to be said about that waste of oxygen.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I don't think he would actually watch 922 snaps period.

Neither do I. The point only being that Bedard is not what I think of when I think of hack, yes-men NFL writers. YMMV (general your implied), and that's perfectly fine.

spacer.png

Maybe. But MMQB is Peter King's baby. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has his editorial hand in every word published on it. And for whatever reason, King seems determined to prove that the NFL "isn't ready" for an out player, even if he has to cook the books to get there.

The NFL isn't ready. Many players are, but there's a handful of players (Dolphins WR Mike Wallace tweeting ''All these beautiful girls and men are still turning gay?'' or something to that extent, on the day NBA free agent Jason Collins came out) are not ready for an openly gay teammate, or opponent, for that matter. The best way to become ready is by being put into this situation, unready, the way (as DScruggy729 stated above) Jackie Robinson came to be accepted over time. I'm not saying that homophobes 'coming around eventually' is acceptable, but it's better than nothing.

I'm sure I've played travel or high school ball with at least one closeted gay, I've changed with every one of those teammates. It didn't bother me changing with them before, or practising with them before, or playing alongside them before. Why would it bother me once I'd have found out?

The NFL definitely isn't ready for an openly gay player, but they need one.

Greg Ellis: "if he pats somebody on the butt, how is that to be received? If he does that how is that to be received? If he said, ‘Come on baby’? I called guys baby all the time on the football field, but when you have taken a stand and went and go public and say that, ‘I am gay,’ how is that going to be received? "

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/20/greg-ellis-worries-about-michael-sam-patting-someone-on-the-butt/

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

They only did measurements for DL/LB today. They do the mental stuff tomorrow and the workouts on Monday.

He did a media interview today and I thought he did really well in that.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived