NFL Refresh by Derschwigg - Bengals Added : 32/32 (COMPLETE!)

derschwigg

I like it, but my only nitpick is that it should be a 5 point star.

It is kind of big deal to Dallas and Texas. Nice look for sure.

Sorry... but a 6-point star's biggest use is a David's Star one of the flagship symbols of Jewish faith... which I doubt would ever fly in Texas. As GP said, 5-point star is the way to go, change for change's sake usually doesn't end up very well.
Agreed the cowboys are a 5 point star not a 6.
The 6 point star is fine. Google "sheriff badge" and you'll see that most of them are the 6 point star variety. Just because a 6 point star is associated with Israel and the Jewish faith, it doesn't mean that it's exclusive to those things. And the 6 point star used in those instances is pretty specific.

I dig the change and like the variety. Every time someone does a Cowboys concept, people can't seem to let go of the basic 5 point star. Sure, it's iconic. But it's also pretty boring. I applaud this effort and thinks it works well. My only critique would be that I think the "D" on the badge should be thicker and stronger. Perhaps use the "D" from the same typeface which "Cowboys" is written.

For Miami, I like the look but the head looks wayyyyyy too long. And the snout is almost like a beak. It's a bit too pointy IMO.

Yeah it looks like he was going for a southern/sheriff motif and that's what it looks like to me. If he was going for a Lonestar motif 5 would be more appropriate, but 6 works here.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the board precisely for this sort of discussion - I appreciate the kind words! I'll try to fix the dolphin soon. I think the size of the brow/eye is throwing people off a bit, but I will round out the snout a bit more.

As for the Cowboys, everyone's arguments are valid. Specifically, making the D bolder/stronger. It is actually the same font, I just put a fatter stroke around it. However, I thought I'd put it to a vote. I made changes to the 6-point version, and also made a 5-point version.

Which is better?

yak8JG8.jpg

1dailaZ.jpg

Thanks! But your comment on the star was kind of my reasoning behind going 6 over 5. Texas almost always uses the 5 pointed star, but the badge itself is more ambiguous on 5, 6, or even 7 points. I just thought it'd be a fun shift is all :)

Awesome, awesome work Dersch. Question, what software are you using to create your wordmarks? I want to recreate the wordmarks for the teams in my fantasy league and what I have to work with is limited.

Thanks and great work.

Thanks! I use Illustrator for nearly all of my logo work, icon and wordmarks alike. There's so much power that you can use in the stroke and envelope distort features alone there. I think Adobe still allows for free 30-day demos of the program, but (I could be wrong here) I also heard Creative Cloud is down to $20/month if you get just Illustrator, and it's something like $30/month for the entire suite. If you've got the scratch, it's worth investing in. If you're a student or educator (valid id), you could get a pretty sizable discount as well through JourneyEd or your school. I splurged and got the master collection and saved $1500 by doing it that way.

Thanks for the info. I will look into that.

And the new look Texans!

UU4tyzF.jpg

Best logo in the series.

Agreed! Incredible and the first concept logo I've ever seen for the Texans that's actually better than what they use now. They already have one of the best logos in sports, so it's tough to improve on.

Not only do you see a "T" and steer horns, but you also see a goalpost! That's an effective logo.

87Redskins.png

Yeah, they love having their star.

It also makes me think more of law enforcement than cowboys...so they look like they're now the Dallas Sheriffs. 6 looks better design-wise but for the team's identity and tradition, gotta go with 5.

87Redskins.png

Thanks! Do you think it's the lower swashes on the cheeks that make it look puffy?

Not sure I would call if puffy. Maybe shaggy. The tufts off of what would be the cheekbones make it look like that. Maybe tame them down or remove?

Also, and this is just personal preference, the eyes need a pupil. Sometimes it looks ok, other times too vacant.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Archived