EBA Logo Updates - Empires, Conquistadors, Stampede, Hammerheads

jaha32

Some of you might remember the EBA basketball thread I did a couple years ago. I haven't posted anything new on here in a while, but I have since gone back and edited some of the teams from that project that I felt needed it. Some changes were minor and others more drastic. There are still a few more changes I would like to make if I get around to it. One team I wanted to change the name to was the Manhattan Mobsters. The name Mobsters didn't seem to really represent Manhattan or NYC that well. It seems more fitting for Chicago if any place, so I wanted to come up with something else, more fitting to replace it. The name that kept coming back to me as I brainstormed names for New York was "Empire" or "Empires". New York has so many pro sports teams, but none of them really make use the "Empire" moniker, although it would work so well. I went with predictable New York colors. This name is not completely original to these boards and raysox had a yakball concept using the similar colors, name, and the Empire State Building that I remember. Actually, I had to go back and look at his work once finishing this just to see how close this in fact was to that design. I didn't want to post this in the EBA thread since it would just be bumping and old thread. The logo is rather tall, but that's what happens I guess when using one of the tallest buildings in the world.

EMPIRES-WALLPAPER_zps985425d0.jpg

Man the EBA was great, so it's nice to see it back in small form. This is a great update/rebrand of the mobsters, which was one of my favorite teams from the old thread. Honestly, this would be a great Knicks logo too. It's worlds better than their current primary. Any chance the old mobster makes an appearance in secondary form?

Man the EBA was great, so it's nice to see it back in small form. This is a great update/rebrand of the mobsters, which was one of my favorite teams from the old thread. Honestly, this would be a great Knicks logo too. It's worlds better than their current primary. Any chance the old mobster makes an appearance in secondary form?

Thanks, everyone. You could say that the team just changed names, much like the Bullets became the Wizards, with the Mobsters still being a part of EBA "history".

Here are the jerseys I came up with. I originally tried to abstractly incorporate the Empire State Building into the sight panels, but it wasn't working for me, and I went with this design.

EMPIRES-JERSEYS_zps8a41641e.jpg

I decided to go ahead and make this an EBA updates thread. The latest update is to the San Jose Conquistadors. You can see the old one compared with the new one below (I will likely delete the old one soon enough though since I see no need to keep old logos around that have since been improved). Mainly in all the updates I have done, I wanted to clean them up, get rid of unnecessary lines and details, while making the shading bolder. On the Conquistadors, I also changed the weapon. The old ax-like thing threw off the composition when I went back and updated this. The head of the ax was too far to the right, so I did the easy thing and just made a sword.

OLD

CONQUISTADORS-WALLPAPER_zps05bed565.jpg

NEW

CONQUISTADORS-WALLPAPER_zps27c1aae1.jpg

I'm not sure if this is out of line or anything, as I just made an account here like 5 minutes ago for this specific purpose. I'm planning on running a dynasty on operation sports (sports gaming website if you have not heard of it) and it involves a rival league for the NBA and I positively love these logos. Is it okay if I use these on the dynasty (obviously I would give you full credit for them, and leave a link back to this thread and the old thread so they can see your work)? Again, I'm not exactly sure how the boards here are run or what's "ok" and "not ok", so its just a shot in the dark. I love your work and the logos are fantastic. To be honest, a lot of them are better than NBA teams. Your logos inspired the idea and I thought it would be appropriate if your logos were the ones used. Again, I'd give you full credit for them, but I can't provide monetary compensation since I'm only 15.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if this is out of line or anything, as I just made an account here like 5 minutes ago for this specific purpose. I'm planning on running a dynasty on operation sports (sports gaming website if you have not heard of it) and it involves a rival league for the NBA and I positively love these logos. Is it okay if I use these on the dynasty (obviously I would give you full credit for them, and leave a link back to this thread and the old thread so they can see your work)? Again, I'm not exactly sure how the boards here are run or what's "ok" and "not ok", so its just a shot in the dark. I love your work and the logos are fantastic. To be honest, a lot of them are better than NBA teams. Your logos inspired the idea and I thought it would be appropriate if your logos were the ones used. Again, I'd give you full credit for them, but I can't provide monetary compensation since I'm only 15.

Thanks in advance.

Glad you like my stuff, but the answer about using my work is no. I will send you a PM. I'd prefer to keep the discussion on the "concepts board" here strictly to the concepts, and "business" talk to private emails and messages.

Thanks

The Empires BLOW AWAY the Mobsters (which I felt was a bit too similar to the Celtics). However, i feel like the new Conquistadors is a miss. The old one perfectly nailed the little Spanish details, and that made it fantastic. This one feels over simplified. If you must change something, I would say drop the triangle in the old one for the new border, and make the wordmark white. Other than that, any other of the changes are a downgrade.

9718.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Looking back at the original EBA, I thought the Manhattan Mobsters was a pretty creative concept, but the Empires is a 100% upgrade.

I like the Conquistadors update. The ax looked fine to me, but I like the look of the updated wordmark, and the sword makes for a cleaner shape of the overall logo. I would say that it's a little difficult to make out the shape of the sword; the way it blends in with the rest of the blue background makes it look more like he's holding a large toothpick.

For some reason the Conquistadors logo screams NCAA to me. I could see the San Francisco Dons adopting that as an updated logo design

Nash61, When I compare the two side by side, I personally see that I really dislike the old one. It's not just that it has too much detail for my taste, but even the pose and proportions seem off. The new one is the idea I had in my head all along, but just didn't know how to execute 4-5 years ago when I began making the old logo.

Roldy54, I totally get the toothpick thing. ha. I didn't like the sword handle covering the letters so I placed it behind but now it does get kind of lost. Here is the partial logo minus the wordmark and the sword is much more obvious here.

c95761fc-2d86-435f-a4ef-f150d20467de_zps

• 1 month later...

One of my least favorite logos in the bunch was the Omaha Stampede. I felt the old version didn't accentuate the best features of a bull or cattle, particularly in the snout. It just wasn't rendered that well in my mind. I sat down to edit the old one, but I found it easier to just start over from scratch than to try to "fix" the old logo. This is a bull head from the straight on view in red, so I am sure Chicago Bulls will pop into everyone's head, and I knew that as I made this, but I am pretty pleased with how it turned out.

STAMPEDE-WALLPAPER_zpsc42fc012.jpg

Archived