Branding Speculation / News for Beckham's Miami MLS Side

Brian in Boston

How about the Enterprise? Miami is a vector of capitalism, particularly the illegal kind. Too bad people would just make Star Trek jokes.

I'm going to say no to your stick of Fruit Stripe gum up there. I'd prefer to have some tropical/pastel green and yellow involved.

Sponsorship would be a breeze...

enterprise-rent-a-car-logo.jpg

We'll pick you up! (and then likely let you down, since we're an expansion franchise...)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about the Enterprise? Miami is a vector of capitalism, particularly the illegal kind. Too bad people would just make Star Trek jokes.

Galaxy vs. Enterprise games would be especially bad.

Miami Enterprise? I'm not sure A fanbase would be on board with that. I've heard a lot better names than that, no offense. The space affiliation of the name too would be lame. I would go with "Port Miami", personally. Then go with an aquatic theme.

Also, I cannot see the branding being only focused on the Hispanic community. Chivas failed to target a specific culture, and I don't see Miami (a city that entirely failed to produce a succesful MLS franchise not to long ago) take a similar route.

Miami needs to connect with their Hispanic community, but only branding towards them is silly. It'll only come across as pseudo. Build a strong identity, sign Latino players marketable to the community, and build from there. But don't only focus on one dynamic.

Miami Enterprise? I'm not sure A fanbase would be on board with that. I've heard a lot better names than that, no offense. The space affiliation of the name too would be lame. I would go with "Port Miami", personally. Then go with an aquatic theme.

Also, I cannot see the branding being only focused on the Hispanic community. Chivas failed to target a specific culture, and I don't see Miami (a city that entirely failed to produce a succesful MLS franchise not to long ago) take a similar route.

Miami needs to connect with their Hispanic community, but only branding towards them is silly. It'll only come across as pseudo. Build a strong identity, sign Latino players marketable to the community, and build from there. But don't only focus on one dynamic.

"Port Miami" is asking for Cuban-refugee jokes. Not sure if that's the Hispanic connection Beckham wants to make.

By letting it develop organically over time, you get a more creative nickname. You also get one freed from commercial and marketing considerations, which is a major plus.

Maybe on rare occasions you get something interesting.. It seems to me that most "organic" nicknames tend to end up just being colors or whatever the team wears (true both in soccer and really old American teams). Liverpool are the Reds. Inter Milan are Nerrazzurri (Black and Blues). Hull City are the Tigers because they wear orange and black stripes. The Arizona Cardinals were named after the color of their uniforms rather than the bird. Cincinnati Reds, Boston Red Sox, and Chicago White Sox, etc.

All that said, going with something like _______ FC doesn't really bother me. It would be better than Wiz, Burn, Impact or Crew. But there are plenty of non-organic MLS names that are great like Sounders, Timbers or Whitecaps,

I'm going to say no to your stick of Fruit Stripe gum up there. I'd prefer to have some tropical/pastel green and yellow involved.

Enterprise would be better for a Brooklyn based team http://www.baseballchronology.com/Baseball/Leagues/NABBP/Clubs/Brooklyn-Enterprise.asp

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

"Port Miami" is asking for Cuban-refugee jokes. Not sure if that's the Hispanic connection Beckham wants to make.

That's a stretch.

That's a stretch.

Real Miami Castros FC United

By letting it develop organically over time, you get a more creative nickname. You also get one freed from commercial and marketing considerations, which is a major plus.

An organically-developing nickname can be more creative, but it is by no means a certainty.

After all, there's nothing particularly creative about dubbing a team founded by workers from the Royal Arsenal the "Gunners"... a team founded by members of the Villa Cross Chapel the "Villans"... a team founded as a youth side from St. Mary's Church as the "Saints"... a team officially named Tottenham Hotspur FC as the "Spurs"... a team from a city traditionally known as a center of the pottery industry as the "Potters"... a team founded by employees of the Thames Ironworks, therefore sporting a crest prominently featuring ironworking rivet hammers, as the "Hammers"... a team traditionally outfitted in red uniforms as the "Reds" or "Red Devils"... a team traditionally outfitted in some shade of blue as the "Blues" or "Sky Blues"... a team traditionally outfitted in predominantly claret uniforms as the "Clarets"... a team traditionally outfitted in amber and black stripes as the "Tigers".

For every club sporting a more exotic nickname - a "Toffees", "Magpies", "Black Cats", or "Baggies" - that has arisen organically amongst players or supporters that were inspired by more obscure local lore and/or urban myth, there's an organic nickname that is as blandly uninspired as anything a modern team owner and a high-priced branding consultant could churn out.

Miami Bays

Miami Surf

Miami Apollo

Miami Rockets

Miami Blaze

Miami Vice

Miami Atlantic

Anything would be better than those stupid, generic names like FC and United that really represent nothing and no one and are a severely lame attempt to brand after European clubs.

• 3 months later...

At first I thought that the logo/roundel was under colored but after seeing the logo in different applications, specially the kits, I was was sold. I would have wanted maybe a little bit of orange but I looks great as it is.

Great job, Miami and/or MLS should hire Diego for any branding project.

Yeah, that is nice. Not sure how I feel about another double-blue team, but the overall design is gorgeous.

The team name? Good inspiration, but too closely a lift from Milan. I know "Miami International" is an airport, but perhaps "International Miami" could work.

I really love the transparent (or background-less) logo. There's something very "neon sign" about it.

TheeBlog-DiegoGuevara-MiamiFC_Logo_Color

Moreover, if I was with the Southern Legion, I'd give Guevara a call immediately.

TheeBlog-DiegoGuevara-MiamiFC_southernLe

It's a little too Michigan State as he has it now, but with minor alternations to the helmet they'd have a fantastic look for their Supporters Group.

Archived