Silver confirms ads on NBA jerseys are coming

Lights Out

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been known it's going to happen for awhile, the question is when.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I watched the press conference. While it most likely will happen, nothing was "confirmed". Until a start date is given, all we have is "probably", which is what we've had for years.

The more newsworthy part of it was how he brought up the timing of the tv deal and how that could tie in to the start of the ads.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I like it. Sports is a business. Get all you can.

Have to draw the line somewhere. I'd hate to see NBA jerseys turn into soccer or WNBA jerseys. Hopefully I'm dead before I have to root for the Miami Vitamin Water.
Ads are visible one the players bench where a team us able to sell it.

How much would you personally care if the ads kept ticket price increases under the CPI for five years?

Last time this came up, it was said that this could pull in $100 million per year.

Someone here pointed out that while that is a lot of money, it's barely over $3 million per year, or one bench player.

Is that worth diluting the team/league brand?

I guess it is.

And let's not kid ourselves...this is the first domino. Soccer is huge worldwide. We are going to grow to accept it. After a few years of grumbling, it'll just be "normal".

But let's not kid ourselves. First, it won't be "tastefull." Any corporate sponsorship is tasteless...at best it can be a low degree of bad taste (i.e. a small add). Second, it will not impact ticket prices by one cent. They will still charge what they can for tickets. The only way it will lower tickets is if fans are so upset over this that they stop coming in significant numbers, which ain't gonna happen. Third. it's going to happen in all sports. MLB will probably be last. It will also happen in college, which is just as corporate as the pros (and will strengthen the argument that the players should be paid) and in high schools, which will have more local sponsors help pay for equipment, etc.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The bad thing about this is that people are going to buy the jerseys and there will be ads on them. This is not soccer! Glad the NFL and MLB know what the hell they're doing with their identities.

A swoosh/jumpman, three stripes/flower...are already ads. If there was a St. Jude kid logo one each jersey sold and a percentage would directly got to them would you still object?

Have to draw the line somewhere. I'd hate to see NBA jerseys turn into soccer or WNBA jerseys. Hopefully I'm dead before I have to root for the Miami Vitamin Water.

How much would you personally care if the ads kept ticket price increases under the CPI for five years?

It will not impact ticket prices by one cent. They will still charge what they can for tickets. The only way it will lower tickets is if fans are so upset over this that they stop coming in significant numbers, which ain't gonna happen.

I agree with OnWis97 about ticket prices. The NBA is going to charge as much as they can for everything they can sell.

I'd be really interested to see data about how ad placement like this even matters. Not once have I flown AmericanAirlines because their name is on the arena, don't have a Sprint phone because they sponsor the halftime report, or give Kia a second look because they're the official vehicle of the league. It's hard to believe any of this is worth much of anything. Do they get discounts on in-game commercials or something? Can anyone point me to something like this?

PJU85JF.png

It will not impact ticket prices by one cent. They will still charge what they can for tickets. The only way it will lower tickets is if fans are so upset over this that they stop coming in significant numbers, which ain't gonna happen.

I agree with OnWis97 about ticket prices. The NBA is going to charge as much as they can for everything they can sell.

I'd be really interested to see data about how ad placement like this even matters. Not once have I flown AmericanAirlines because their name is on the arena, don't have a Sprint phone because they sponsor the halftime report, or give Kia a second look because they're the official vehicle of the league. It's hard to believe any of this is worth much of anything. Do they get discounts on in-game commercials or something? Can anyone point me to something like this?

Apparently it must be working since advertisers keep on clamoring for it.

Intel now has a deal with Barcelona to sponsor the INSIDE of their jerseys.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/club/detail/article/fc-barcelona-and-intel-sign-innovative-sponsorship-deal

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

The bad thing about this is that people are going to buy the jerseys and there will be ads on them. This is not soccer! Glad the NFL and MLB know what the hell they're doing with their identities.

A swoosh/jumpman, three stripes/flower...are already ads. If there was a St. Jude kid logo one each jersey sold and a percentage would directly got to them would you still object?

LOL at giving a non-profit ad space. That's not going to happen. Even the scammiest non-profit doesn't have enough cash to pull that off.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

LOL at giving a non-profit ad space. That's not going to happen. Even the scammiest non-profit doesn't have enough cash to pull that off.

It's happened several times in the EPL and European soccer leagues, most notably Aston Villa, who wore the logo of a local charity for 2 seasons.

I don't get why they don't just sell the ad space to Adidas or the who the next jersey maker is. NBA is the only league that doesn't have the manufacturers logo on the jerseys. Put it where the logo is on the replicas and I don't think even anyone on these boards would mind that.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

This will be the first domino. It won't be long til they all have it. MLB may likely hold out long term but the NHL and NFL will not be far behind.

It'll be a long time til college and high schools do it I think. I could see HS's doing it first however.

It's unfortunate because the big reason they are so accepted in soccer is because of the lack of commercials when watching on TV. Which if you've seen any US sport except soccer you know isn't any issue in the slightest. All other sports have allowed their actual game play be affected by commercial timeouts, yet soccer is the bag guy for allowing ads on their jerseys? Makes no sense to me.

Btw, to the poster that said he never bought a Kia, it's not about that. It's brand recognition which is very important. You may not buy a Kia, but by seeing the name over and over, and associated with the NBA, it makes their brand much more legit when it comes time for you to buy a car. You may never buy a Kia, but it's advertising like the NBA sponsorship that has helped the public perception of the brand become what it is instead of the "generic/cheap" perception they used to have.

Also, who would know what Vodafone or Fly Emerites was without soccer sponsorships? You may have before, but millions know those names when they might not have without the Manchester United or Real Madrid sponsorships. You'll have brands like Sprite want to keep their name out there, but some brand may find an opportunity to legitimize themselves. In the end, most brands see a return on these investments, otherwise they wouldn't be happening. The MLS is a good example where some teams can't find legit, or any, sponsors at the price they want.

Saying all this doesn't mean I support or hate sponsorships on jerseys. It some ways I see the value to fans in allowing us to continue watching sports commercial free (soccer) or watching period (WNBA), but in others it seems overly greedy (other sports that currently turn a profit.)

The fact that you know all that is the point. Brand awareness.

Archived