Silver confirms ads on NBA jerseys are coming

Lights Out

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Sonics/Starbucks thing wouldn't be ideal for the advertiser...they want their logo to stand out as much as possible, so they'd avoid a primarily green team.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Exactly - commissioners are there to put a spin on what the owners want. Silver is only saying this because it's want the NBA owners want to do.

No, that's not correct.

Yes, commissioners work for the owners. And yes, that sometimes means that the commissioner is forced to do what the owners want. But not always.

It's like any other company. The owners (shareholders) select a CEO. They hire her because they believe that's the person to grow their company. Sometimes that CEO is required to do what the owners wish, but more often she can shape the course of the business herself, convincing the owners to adopt her plans.

Then there's the fact that in sports leagues, the owners are rarely of one mind. A commissioner must rally owners and convince a certain number to join in any action.

Commissioners have a lot of power to shape their respective leagues. They aren't just mouthpieces.

I will take a little clunky sponsor patch on the uniform, ONLY because my team would get more money and spend it on other things, like players, and renovating arenas. However I still hate the ads on jerseys.

You really think the money will be used on that......hahahaha... nah son, it goes straight in some rich bastard´s allready fat pocket.

DALLAS - Mark Cuban, the outspoken Dallas Mavericks owner, predicts a drastic decline in the popularity of the NFL over the next decade due to the league's greed.

"I think the NFL is 10 years away from an implosion," Cuban said Sunday evening when his pregame conversation with reporters, which covered a broad range of topics, swayed toward football. "I'm just telling you, pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. And they're getting hoggy. Just watch. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. When you try to take it too far, people turn the other way.

Uh, i thought it was the NBA he was talking about.........LOL

If there is a major sport to have this happen to I'd rather it be the NBA, just because I'm so frustrated by overall league/uniform decisions. So we might as well start speculating on who will sponsor what team and how it will look on that team's jersey. Here are some thoughts:

76ers - Comcast, It's so huge here in Philly and they basically run the team so its a given

Hawks - Coca Cola, huge in ATL

Pistons - General Motors, cuz cars

Supersonics - Starbucks if they were still around this would be obvious due to colors. Or Sonic would work well too haha

Nuggets - Coors will have silver bullet alternates where the mountains turn red when a player is heating up

Cavaliers - Wendy's I beleive it started in Ohio and same colors so its a perfect fit

Clippers - Beats by Dre Idk why but thatd be kinda sick, right?

Comcast owns no part of the sixers and has a poor relationship with them. That would never happen. More likely would be Guinness Beer as their from Philly.

DALLAS - Mark Cuban, the outspoken Dallas Mavericks owner, predicts a drastic decline in the popularity of the NFL over the next decade due to the league's greed.

"I think the NFL is 10 years away from an implosion," Cuban said Sunday evening when his pregame conversation with reporters, which covered a broad range of topics, swayed toward football. "I'm just telling you, pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. And they're getting hoggy. Just watch. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. When you try to take it too far, people turn the other way.

Uh, i thought it was the NBA he was talking about.........LOL

I don't know about 10 years, I'd put it more in the 20-30 year range. But if the NFL continues on the path they are on he is right.

I know my interest in the NFL has wained pretty significantly in the last couple years, and I'm a season ticket holder. I still follow the Broncos, but the last five years I've been selling all of my tickets before the season starts because it is just way too expensive. And I can't remember the last time I watched a regular season game on TV.

jNTsTyQ.png

If there is a major sport to have this happen to I'd rather it be the NBA, just because I'm so frustrated by overall league/uniform decisions. So we might as well start speculating on who will sponsor what team and how it will look on that team's jersey. Here are some thoughts:

76ers - Comcast, It's so huge here in Philly and they basically run the team so its a givenHawks - Coca Cola, huge in ATLPistons - General Motors, cuz carsSupersonics - Starbucks if they were still around this would be obvious due to colors. Or Sonic would work well too hahaNuggets - Coors will have silver bullet alternates where the mountains turn red when a player is heating upCavaliers - Wendy's I beleive it started in Ohio and same colors so its a perfect fitClippers - Beats by Dre Idk why but thatd be kinda sick, right?

Comcast owns no part of the sixers and has a poor relationship with them. That would never happen. More likely would be Guinness Beer as their from Philly.

I have no idea what either of you are talking about.

Comcast (i.e. the Flyers) doesn't own the Sixers anymore. The Sixers could move to New Jersey for all Comcast cares - they would rather fill the Sixers time slot with re-runs of World Poker Tour if they weren't contractually obligated to show Sixers games.

Besides - the Sixers pay them rent. Why would they in turn pay the team that's paying them?

As for Guinness... WTF?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

76ers - Comcast, It's so huge here in Philly and they basically run the team so its a givenHawks - Coca Cola, huge in ATLPistons - General Motors, cuz carsSupersonics - Starbucks if they were still around this would be obvious due to colors. Or Sonic would work well too hahaNuggets - Coors will have silver bullet alternates where the mountains turn red when a player is heating upCavaliers - Wendy's I beleive it started in Ohio and same colors so its a perfect fitClippers - Beats by Dre Idk why but thatd be kinda sick, right?

Comcast (i.e. the Flyers) doesn't own the Sixers anymore. The Sixers could move to New Jersey for all Comcast cares - they would rather fill the Sixers time slot with re-runs of World Poker Tour if they weren't contractually obligated to show Sixers games.

Besides - the Sixers pay them rent. Why would they in turn pay the team that's paying them?

As for Guinness... WTF?

Maybe he meant Yuengling?? That is the only large brand local beer that I know of.

As for Guinness... WTF?

Maybe he meant Yuengling?? That is the only large brand local beer that I know of.

Even that's not really local. Pottsville has to be at least 2 hours away, probably more.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

As for Guinness... WTF?

Even that's not really local. Pottsville has to be at least 2 hours away, probably more.

Also, "they're"

As for Guinness... WTF?

Also, "they're"

Blow me. "They're" would be if I was referring to multiple people or a collection. While a company is multiple people and "they're" would have worked, it's also a single entity or product, therefore "that" is fine, as in "that product is not local".

76ers - Comcast, It's so huge here in Philly and they basically run the team so its a given

Supersonics - Starbucks if they were still around this would be obvious due to colors. Or Sonic would work well too haha

Nuggets - Coors will have silver bullet alternates where the mountains turn red when a player is heating up

Cavaliers - Wendy's I beleive it started in Ohio and same colors so its a perfect fit

I know that Comcast doesn't own the team, I was implying that going to the Wells Fargo Center Comcast is everywhere, Comcast Sportsrise is taped in the Wells Fargo Center etc.

But what most likely WILL be their sponsor is Partypoker.com since the owner of the team who also owns the Devils is now on their D.

As for Guinness, I'm pretty sure that's from Irelend bud

Plus you guys do realize that sponsors don't have to be from the home city, right? I was just listing those for fun but in fact that's rarely the case

It would be hysterical for OKC to wear Sonic hahaha as their based in OKC.

spacer.png

As for Guinness... WTF?

Also, "they're"

Blow me. "They're" would be if I was referring to multiple people or a collection. While a company is multiple people and "they're" would have worked, it's also a single entity or product, therefore "that" is fine, as in "that product is not local".

I was referring to eliasrappaport's original post (see red text above) and, therefore, will not blow you.

As for Guinness... WTF?

The days of local/regional sponsorships appear to be long gone. Much like EPL you're much more likely going to see mega global corporations like middle eastern airlines, mega insurance conglomerates, and strange internet company of the moment. All of which will be incorporated in the Cayman Islands.

As for Guinness... WTF?

Also, "they're"

I was referring to eliasrappaport's original post (see red text above) and, therefore, will not blow you.

Please? I promise it's an experience you won't soon forget.

Archived