Silver confirms ads on NBA jerseys are coming

Lights Out

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bad thing about this is that people are going to buy the jerseys and there will be ads on them. This is not soccer! Glad the NFL and MLB know what the hell they're doing with their identities.

A swoosh/jumpman, three stripes/flower...are already ads. If there was a St. Jude kid logo one each jersey sold and a percentage would directly got to them would you still object?

LOL at giving a non-profit ad space. That's not going to happen. Even the scammiest non-profit doesn't have enough cash to pull that off.

It's happened several times in the EPL and European soccer leagues, most notably Aston Villa, who wore the logo of a local charity for 2 seasons.

British businessmen aren't U.S. businessmen.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Like I said, I think the intersting thing was how he said it ties in to the new TV deal.

I'm not sure if that means that they can simply charge the sponsors more because their ads will be visible on more networks / more viewers, or if the networks themselves can sell the ad space as if it was a commercial. Now that would be interesting. Imagine if each team's RSN could manage the sponsorships? Or if the RSN sold the ads for their games, and then ABC or ESPN or whoever sold the ads for their games?

Could the teams themselves lose some control over what their uniform looks like (at least when it comes to ads?) Could ABC send the equip manager 15 McDonald's patches and have them applied for the Sunday game, and then Comcast sends them 15 "Local Restaurant" patches to apply for Tuesday's game? I think you could argue that would be one way that they could sell this thing, and really, that could be the most lucrative.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

To respond to one of the posts on page 1,

I would much rather have jerseys/uniforms have a sponsor on their logo and have a lot less commericials during the game (soccer), than have no advertisements on jerseys and have a commericial every other play (football, baseball). Unfortunately, the NBA would not decrease commericals. All in all, it's a lose lose for fans.

Just making the claim that I am okay with soccer putting ads on the kits because of that reason. Not only that, soccer kits would look rather plain without advertisements. International kits are the exception.

Keep in mind that as a club*, FC Barcelona is $400 million in debt.

*-They are legally not for profit.

I was just trying to point out how much advertisers like putting their logos on jerseys.

I'm thankful that I stopped buying jerseys a few years back due to increased player movement between teams.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Once the NBA goes into selling ads, the other three will follow within 5 years. Unless some small, but very vocal minority special interest group imposes a brutally totalitarian iron fist over the globe, first.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

If colleges were considering doing this, I'd be for the student bodies at the schools that get a subsidy (i.e. just about all of them) from the school/students to get a vote on that decision. Or if they're going to make that decision, get to vote to withdraw the subsidy.

Because I'm forced to shell out $140 a semester right now to the AD and I'll be damned if they decide to turn the players into billboards for Waste Management. They represent my school, not our "valued corporate partners" and the uniforms should reflect that.

Either way, if ads show up on college jerseys, the players had better get a sizable cut of that money.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think it's possible to do it tastefully. Here are some examples.

Scotiabank, right chest, JustEnergy logo, helmet.

spencer-abbott-goal.jpg

Primus logo, left chest. RONA logo, right chest.

burris-henry-121020-8col.jpg

Neither one terribly compromises the jersey.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

spencer-abbott-goal.jpg

looks like :censored: !

To each their own, but I absolutely fail to see how this is "tasteful." It's "not as bad as NASCAR or soccer", but that does not make it tasteful.

In my opinion, any advertisement (including manufacturer logo) is by default "not tasteful." Some are not as bad as others, but they all detract, at least a bit.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

spencer-abbott-goal.jpg

Don't want

especially on a basketball jersey where there is so much less real-estate to put an ad

Archived