Silver confirms ads on NBA jerseys are coming

Lights Out

I don't know if it's a coincidence but the NFL is the only league with no worldwide competition. While some not superstars but still experienced/talented basketball and hockey players might be tempted to play overseas for higher salary (or not to move to America). I don't know about baseball but it's huge in Japan so it might be the case for Asian talents as well.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NFL is different because there are only 16 games, and this ticket prices are much higher. A family of for can go to a baseball or basketball game for $100. One NFL ticket costs more than that. So the fans that go to NFL games are the die hard fans that would go no matter the cost, as opposed to families looking for an entertainment option.

casual fans will not mind, but folks who buy Aut. jerseys will, it ruins the design of the jerseys.

NBA rev 30 jerseys fit like :censored: anyway, i have a couple 2 and 3XL, tight but long as hell, i can´t wear that :censored: in public.

hope they don´t do it MLB too.

I love that Americans freak out about ads on jerseys. Do you realize nobody else on the planet has commercial breaks during there sporting events? I would much rather have an add on a jersey than to have the game stop every 5 minutes because Toyota is trying to sell me something I'm never going to buy.

And then we have the dumbarses who think that ads on jerseys will lead to a reduction in the number of TV commercials.

As if teams would willingly surrender part of that revenue stream.

This borders on "Archimedes" territory.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Its not about money, its about identity, tradition and culture.NBA is not Europe football or basketball and since I was a kid I was inspired by these beautifully designed jerseys.Ads on jerseys, sleeved jerseys, please dont do that.Dont kill an already sellout NBA.

the association was always the 3rd major sport...their major problem is that they had a major surge in popularity during the bird/magic/jorday heyday...there was a second resurgence during the shaq/kobe mini dynasty but the current era does not have enough enough superstars aside from lbj to carry the league to that stratosphere. the league is now caught chasing a level of popularity that they will only see every couple generations. of course they don't want to accept that so they are going to squeeze every last bit of $$$ out of their loyal fans because they think they are owed it.

Why is it most people here are bashing the NBA for trying to make all the cash they can?

I'm not bashing the NBA for trying to make all the cash they can... I'm criticizing the way that they're trying to make that money by ruining their teams' visual identities to chase a quick buck. It's very minor league and cheapens the image of the league.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

As long as they don't do what the WNBA did.

They will eventually. The greed of the highest-salaried league knows no boundaries.

This isn't a personal attack on you but merely something I'm genuinely confused about. Why is it most people here are bashing the NBA for trying to make all the cash they can? I can't imagine if any one of us were in a management position with any team and not being ok with making more revenue. Hell, in any sales driven business venture I imagine the goal would be to provide a quality product for a fair but competitive price and make lots of cash doing it.

Now from an aesthetic perspective, I get it. This is a logo/design forum so having a corporate patch on a uniform matters here. It's just plain ugly and I fully get the disdain, in relation to those of us that are here. I don't necessarily think that really matters to people that aren't as invested in sports aesthetics. If a casual Laker fan can still identify his/her team as the Lakers and have a decent experience at games, I don't think they will care if Farmers is tramp stamped on Kobe's back.

As much as it pains me to say this, I don't believe sports(excluding the NFL) is catering to the die hards or the CCSLC-ers of the world. It's the casual fan that makes the family trip to the arena on a wednesday, like they would if it was a trip to Disneyland or something. Its an entertainment destination, more so than ever. As long as those consumers can get tickets for a reasonable price(reasonable in pro sports kind of way), buy a jersey that still looks like it belongs their team, and still get a quality product(pending the team they root for) this ad space thing won't even make a dent.

It pains me to say this, but most of what you say is correct.

Look at the responses on this thread. This is a message board dedicated to logos/uniforms/design thereof. And I'd say at least a third are for this--well at least not against it (as long as team wordmarks remain). Most "regular" fans don't really care about uniforms. My guess is that a logo patch of CFL size will be met with indifference.

I hate this with a passion, but the NBA should probably just do it. There will be some negative response. There are people that are not uniform geeks that will appreciate how we don't have ads in North America the minute they see the ads. But most of us will get over it. And I say thsi as someone who probably will not get over it.

I bolded an interesting part of your post though. Why do you believe that the NFL is excluded from leagues not catering to die-hards/CCSLCers? If anything, i think the NFL does the best at capturing casual fans. So if you are saying that the NFL does best at "catering to CCSLC" because it has the most stringent uniform requirements, that's an interesting point. Maybe the NFL just "gets" branding and maybe they'd rather not put ads on the uniforms. To your early question about what we'd do in a management position, one thing I would do is say, "is a few million dollars of this revenue worth watering our brand down?" Sometimes I wonder that.

I said the NFL for two reasons. They only need to fill a stadium once a week and I think are far more likely have the said stadium full of die hard fans, especially in places where weather is a major factor. As opposed to the NBA/MLB where games are played everyday and far easier for say a family of 4 to go catch a game. I compare it to a family going to Disneyland on a Tuesday. The type of people that leave before the fireworks to avoid traffic. I might be wrong but football fans seem to stick around until triple zero.

Second, like you mentioned, they seem to have the best sense of branding, which in turn makes us happy posters. I don't know if that is true but so far, a few bad uniforms aside, they haven't stooped to that level. Yet. I'm not entirely sure it's because they really care or if the right deal hasn't come up yet. Aren't ads on their practice unis? Could be nothing, could be foreshadowing. At the end of the day I only see complaints that people like us would make. I don't think the average fan cares about that stuff.

To your last point, I wonder that too. It is a hard question to answer though. I'd like to think if I were in charge and had to put another brand on top of mine, I'd have a problem with it. I'd also see how I might consider it. A small patch on the upper left part of the torso won't become the new logo or anything like that. I wouldn't be changing the team name to the Dallas Cowboys Presented by AT&T. Its just a patch. Everywhere else the teams main identifying piece(logos/name) would appear unaltered. Tough call.

Edit: Missed your post L.O.

To that I would say read the last section of this latest post. I see both sides of the coin here. My sense is that there is genuine question of what about the brand is really being ruined? Sure, for us, the patch messes up the visuals a bit but does it really dilute the brand? I'm not so sure. This may be a bad example but the CFL doesn't have the corporate patches on the jerseys for sale. It probably a TV only thing, so a fan can still own a jersey without getting Pepsi jammed in their face. I think the same will happen in the NBA.

I love that Americans freak out about ads on jerseys. Do you realize nobody else on the planet has commercial breaks during there sporting events? I would much rather have an add on a jersey than to have the game stop every 5 minutes because Toyota is trying to sell me something I'm never going to buy.

That's partially because with quarter breaks and time outs or inning breaks it's a perfect use of the time that would otherwise just be use watching the players do nothing.
thats the wrong cause an effect. Players stand around doing nothing BECAUSE they are in a commercial. Baseball games used to take 90-120 minutes to play. The commercials are what takes so long. Players taking a million practice swings and pitchers stepping off contribute a little but it's the commercial. Go to any high school basketball game that's not televised. It's the same clock time, but it only takes an hour to play. How about Olympic hockey???

In any case, they aren't going to be taken off any commercial time. Ads are extra revenue not replacement.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Last time this was brought up, wasn't there an issue with potential conflicts with player/team sponsorships? For example, let's say Jonas Valancuinas has a sponsorship deal with Tim Hortons ("double-double"...this needs to happen), but then the Raptors put a McDonald's ad on their jerseys.

Anyways, I don't mind ads on CFL and AHL jerseys because I understand that it's a necessary evil that comes along with cheering for second-tier-league teams. But for one of the Big Four? C'mon. At the very least, my teams (Argos and Marlies) usually wear ads that match their colour palets, so it's not that bad, at least on the white jerseys. But man, they become really noticeable on coloured jerseys:

7da83cb74726aba443ce91e02728-473x315.jpg

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Last time this was brought up, wasn't there an issue with potential conflicts with player/team sponsorships? For example, let's say Jonas Valancuinas has a sponsorship deal with Tim Hortons ("double-double"...this needs to happen), but then the Raptors put a McDonald's ad on their jerseys.

Anyways, I don't mind ads on CFL and AHL jerseys because I understand that it's a necessary evil that comes along with cheering for second-tier-league teams. But for one of the Big Four? C'mon. At the very least, my teams (Argos and Marlies) usually wear ads that match their colour palets, so it's not that bad, at least on the white jerseys. But man, they become really noticeable on coloured jerseys:

Really 2 ads! That's a little overboard.

Really 2 ads! That's a little overboard.

It's one for the regular season, and two for the playoffs. I believe the AHL does the same.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

It's not really on issue in European football, for example. It's not even resticted to ads. Let's take Messi and Ronaldo. While their national teams play in the kits manufactured by their private sponsors, it's exactly the opposite at the club. That means that Messi is playing with the swoosh most of the year and Ronaldo with three stripes, yet they receive millions from the other company.

When you look at all the patches (most of which are tacky) that the "big four" teams wear (Super Bowl patch, anniversary patches, captains patches, all star patches, league-logo patches, manufacturer patches, World Series hat patches, etc.) is replacing one with a small ad patch really that much different?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for it, but is it really worse than this trainwreck?

super_bowl_2011_AaronOne108870414.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The cynic in me says that the real reason for those captain patches is to get people accustomed to seeing something in that space, so when the C is replaced by the McDonald's logo, some people won't even notice, and others won't care because something was there anyway.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived