Lights Out

Silver confirms ads on NBA jerseys are coming

In regards to commercials, professional hockey (NHL, AHL) spends 300 seconds per period (three 100 second timeouts) for commercials. That's five extra minutes, or an extra 15 minutes per game.

During that time, the teams take a break (there are strict rules concerning when you can/can't take a TV timeout. Not on icings, during a powerplay, in the last minute of a period, or last three minutes of the third period), the ice is scraped with shovels (in front of the benches, penalty boxes, and nets) and the refs and linesmen get a chance to catch their breath and take a drink (remember, they're still going during the off-play).

It may slow the game down, but it's a necessary evil. Not only does it bring in money to the TV station/team, it gives the game-ops crew time to announce such things as jersey raffles and the 50/50 winner. TV timeouts have their place. Ads on jerseys in the Big Four don't.

No matter how anyone sees this, the all mighty dollar controls and runs all sports. With sponsorship on jerseys, it creates a bigger brand for the team as well as more revenue. That's why of the top 10 sports teams in the world, six are football/soccer because of their "branding" presence. No coincidence at all. And it is the way of the future especially the NBA as they are falling behind the NFL and MLB.

No matter how anyone sees this, the all mighty dollar controls and runs all sports. With sponsorship on jerseys, it creates a bigger brand for the team as well as more revenue. That's why of the top 10 sports teams in the world, six are football/soccer because of their "branding" presence. .

you don´t think it´s because soccer is the most popular sport in the world

I can see the Knicks having the MSG channel logo and Brooklyn, Roc Nation because why not! Lol

Because Jay-Z is no longer an owner.

I can see the Knicks having the MSG channel logo and Brooklyn, Roc Nation because why not! Lol

In all reality what was his ownership %? Did he make any significant business decisions whatsoever for the franchise?

Much like Magic owning <1% of the Dodgers these token owners are rarely more than PR stunts to get easy press and simple-minded fans talking about the team.

I agree like when Usher was an "owner" of the Cleveland Cavaliers ...pr crap...Jordan was the only one of them who ACTUALLY WAS and became the Owner

In all reality what was his ownership %? Did he make any significant business decisions whatsoever for the franchise?

Much like Magic owning <1% of the Dodgers these token owners are rarely more than PR stunts to get easy press and simple-minded fans talking about the team.

Yeah he owned less than 1% i believe, but i have a feeling he had A LOT of input as far as the branding went.

God... they day is coming where we'll see sleeve jerseys AND ads? Talk about the death of traditional jerseys.

Yeah he owned less than 1% i believe, but i have a feeling he had A LOT of input as far as the branding went.

It was around 0.075% ownership or something ridiculous like that. I don't call that ownership in the slightest, IMO

As for jersey ads, couldn't they just put the adidas logo on the jerseys like they do with the replica, since adidad makes the jerseys, and call it a day?

As for jersey ads, couldn't they just put the adidas logo on the jerseys like they do with the replica, since adidad makes the jerseys, and call it a day?

The NBA has never had even manufacturer logos on their jerseys. All the other leagues do, with the exception of the Yankees who pay a premium to keep theirs clean.

The NBA has never had even manufacturer logos on their jerseys. All the other leagues do, with the exception of the Yankees who pay a premium to keep theirs clean.

I belive is was David Stern that did not want manufacturer logos on jerseys and shorts ?

just makes silver that much worse

If there is a major sport to have this happen to I'd rather it be the NBA, just because I'm so frustrated by overall league/uniform decisions. So we might as well start speculating on who will sponsor what team and how it will look on that team's jersey. Here are some thoughts:

76ers - Comcast, It's so huge here in Philly and they basically run the team so its a given

Hawks - Coca Cola, huge in ATL

Pistons - General Motors, cuz cars

Supersonics - Starbucks if they were still around this would be obvious due to colors. Or Sonic would work well too haha

Nuggets - Coors will have silver bullet alternates where the mountains turn red when a player is heating up

Cavaliers - Wendy's I beleive it started in Ohio and same colors so its a perfect fit

Clippers - Beats by Dre Idk why but thatd be kinda sick, right?

Ouch that hurts with the supersonics. First suggesting Starbucks, whose owner killed the team and sold it. And then sonic, which is an OKC company. Double ouch.

Ouch that hurts with the supersonics. First suggesting Starbucks, whose owner killed the team and sold it. And then sonic, which is an OKC company. Double ouch.

Sonic the Hedgehog?

The bad thing about this is that people are going to buy the jerseys and there will be ads on them. This is not soccer! Glad the NFL and MLB know what the hell they're doing with their identities.

A swoosh/jumpman, three stripes/flower...are already ads. If there was a St. Jude kid logo one each jersey sold and a percentage would directly got to them would you still object?

LOL at giving a non-profit ad space. That's not going to happen. Even the scammiest non-profit doesn't have enough cash to pull that off.

It's happened several times in the EPL and European soccer leagues, most notably Aston Villa, who wore the logo of a local charity for 2 seasons.

British businessmen aren't U.S. businessmen.

Villa are—and were during the Acorns sponsorship—owned by an American.

Anyways, couldn't care less about ads. Why shouldn't a business pursue every possible revenue stream?

I belive is was David Stern that did not want manufacturer logos on jerseys and shorts ?

just makes silver that much worse

I'm going to nitpick and call this out until I stop reading these statements. The commissioners: Goodell, Silver, Selig, Bettman work on behalf of the owners. The only authority that these individuals have is what is bestowed upon them by the owners.

If you want to blame what's going wrong with a particular league blame the owners because they have to approve by popular vote every major change that affects their businesses. In regard to uniform ads, most the new guard of nba owners need the additional revenue because they overpaid for their franchises and need every bit of revenue that they can get so get used to these obvious money grabs.