kw11333

2014 MLS Changes

Yeah, feeling like a good monogram is a must for this team. Something so New York about it.

That I will agree with since the Yankees (the minority owners) have one of the most famous monogram in all of sports.

This is probably the best NYCFC concept to have a monogram.

nycfc_brand_id_skyblue_23_o.jpg

It's probably my second favorite NYCFC concept out there.

I don't know...

The Yankees, despite being owners, would accept big part of their $acred $ymbol to be used by the soccer team?

I'm very sceptical.

Yeah, feeling like a good monogram is a must for this team. Something so New York about it.

That I will agree with since the Yankees (the minority owners) have one of the most famous monogram in all of sports.

This is probably the best NYCFC concept to have a monogram.

nycfc_brand_id_skyblue_23_o.jpg

It's probably my second favorite NYCFC concept out there.

I don't know...

The Yankees, despite being owners, would accept big part of their $acred $ymbol to be used by the soccer team?

I'm very sceptical.

I don't know, it's different enough that it would never be confused with the Yankees. I mean the Mets use an interlocking NY was well, and no one confuses those two (well maybe some non-sports fans do).

I think it's sufficiently removed from the Yankees' own interlocking symbol (including having an extra letter) to work.

That's already one more New York City billboard than I've ever seen from RBNY.

FWIW there are a few around. This one is right in my neighborhood in Brooklyn: http://www.behance.net/gallery/New-York-Red-Bulls-Wallscapes/11647681
Yes, in fairness, they did start advertising in the city.

In 2010.

When it was too late. :censored: them. :P

Yeah that's not really true either. They put up billboards shortly after the rebrand and I can remember others in Brooklyn the following season as well. But, yeah, if you're not a fan, you're not a fan.

Back on topic, yeah, for some reason Dallas seems to have dumped the hoops. It's a shame considering the look (if not the color scheme) was unique to the league and instantly identifiable.

Yeah, it's a shame about the hoops. I liked those. Might the Revolution ever try it for their clash kit?

As for the RedBulls, there was far more advertising in New York for the Red Bull Air Show over Jersey City than there ever was for the soccer team, but hey. They made their choice to focus on the suburbs.

I think it's sufficiently removed from the Yankees' own interlocking symbol (including having an extra letter) to work.

Do not get me wrong, I love the concept, very nice.

Could they simply use a pentagon shape instead of a circle? Could be very nice also.

Yeah, it's a shame about the hoops. I liked those. Might the Revolution ever try it for their clash kit?

As for the RedBulls, there was far more advertising in New York for the Red Bull Air Show over Jersey City than there ever was for the soccer team, but hey. They made their choice to focus on the suburbs.

Good thinking. I think the Revolution need a full reworking. Their badge is the only one that hasn't changed at all since 96 and I remember thinking it was one of the worst in the league when they were unveiled (not to mention the kits...). I've seen some great concepts here with more traditional New England imagery that would be great to see them in. Shame that the Krafts don't really seem to care. Their kits have been pretty much the same solid navy/solid white for years.

Don't get me wrong, as a fan of the Metrostars/Red Bulls since the beginning, there have been MANY boneheaded marketing moves over the years. I mainly remember the billboards since I was frustrated at the time that they were spending money on advertising that they weren't putting into the playing squad.

Ha! Well, that's the danger, isn't it?

Could they simply use a pentagon shape instead of a circle? Could be very nice also.

They could use a pentagon, but this is a takeoff on the old subway tokens. Like the Hyperakt design, but more subtle. You'd lose that entirely.

I just so desperately want this blue cap:

nycfc_brand_id_skyblue_28_o.jpg

They could use a pentagon, but this is a takeoff on the old subway tokens. Like the Hyperakt design, but more subtle. You'd lose that entirely.

OK OK I see, thanks. Its nice like that then,

The one above is my favourite of the NYCFC concepts floating around, followed closely by our very own DawgPac's:

XqQGfsx.png

Good thinking. I think the Revolution need a full reworking. Their badge is the only one that hasn't changed at all since 96 and I remember thinking it was one of the worst in the league when they were unveiled (not to mention the kits...). I've seen some great concepts here with more traditional New England imagery that would be great to see them in. Shame that the Krafts don't really seem to care. Their kits have been pretty much the same solid navy/solid white for years.

Don't get me wrong, as a fan of the Metrostars/Red Bulls since the beginning, there have been MANY boneheaded marketing moves over the years. I mainly remember the billboards since I was frustrated at the time that they were spending money on advertising that they weren't putting into the playing squad.

Don't forget the Columbus Crew even though their new owner has indicated that he wants to change it.

I seriously think that in order to gain any ground in the city, Metrobull would require new ownership, which isn't going to happen anytime soon, to create an image that can counteract NYCFC. It would be cool if Metrobull went with Empire FC/SC (I believe that was an idea for the original name) and had a philosophy opposite of NYCFC.

The one above is my favourite of the NYCFC concepts floating around, followed closely by our very own DawgPac's:

XqQGfsx.png

My favorite as well. But the other 2 posted are both wonderful concepts as well. New York2 has had some great concepts made for them, hope they don't screw it up. :lol:

Don't forget the Columbus Crew even though their new owner has indicated that he wants to change it.

I seriously think that in order to gain any ground in the city, Metrobull would require new ownership, which isn't going to happen anytime soon, to create an image that can counteract NYCFC. It would be cool if Metrobull went with Empire FC/SC (I believe that was an idea for the original name) and had a philosophy opposite of NYCFC.

Wow, I did completely forget the Crew.

The original Metrostars/RBNY franchise name was indeed Empire Soccer Club. Real shame that the name was not used.

Wow, I did completely forget the Crew.

The original Metrostars/RBNY franchise name was indeed Empire Soccer Club. Real shame that the name was not used.

Empire SC would be awesome right now. Too bad Red Bull and their tackiness basically ruined NY1 (for me anyways).

Interestingly enough, "Empire FC" was the other name trademarked by MLS along with NYCFC. So it's been considered and tossed aside twice.

People forget that MetroStars was a corporate tie-in name as well, albeit an oblique one. As bad as some MLS names get today, they're still ahead of their inaugural set of teams.

Interestingly enough, "Empire FC" was the other name trademarked by MLS along with NYCFC. So it's been considered and tossed aside twice.

People forget that MetroStars was a corporate tie-in name as well, albeit an oblique one. As bad as some MLS names get today, they're still ahead of their inaugural set of teams.

People tend to excuse corporate tie-in names if they aren't gaudy and/or were there from the start.

That is the reason no one complains about Bayer Leverkusen or Metrostars but are filled with disgust when they talk about Red Bull Salzburg or Red Bull New York.

True, but the fact that both Red Bull teams were re-named to match their new corporate tie-ins had a lot to do with that as well.

Had Red Bull secured the second NY franchise, and begun play with that name, there wouldn't have been nearly the furor that their purchase and re-branding of an existing club raised.

It does work.,Though last week, I watched 30 for 30's Bernie and Ernie on ABC and noticed the Knicks wore the interlocking NY.

True, but the fact that both Red Bull teams were re-named to match their new corporate tie-ins had a lot to do with that as well.

Had Red Bull secured the second NY franchise, and begun play with that name, there wouldn't have been nearly the furor that their purchase and re-branding of an existing club raised.

No, then they would just get made fun of.

OK OK I see, thanks. Its nice like that then,

What I wouldn't give for New Era MLS hats.

I already mentioned that when I said that people don't really get mad at teams who had brand tie ins from the start and/or aren't gaudy with it.

Red Bull New York fails both tests as the Red Bull branding is extremely in your face (the Red Bull logo grows every time they introduce a new jersey), it's ugly, and they desecrated the old name (Metrostars).

Let's not act like the MetroStars name was some amazing feat of branding either.