kw11333

2014 MLS Changes

No other club since the introduction of stars above club crests for MLS Cups has there ever been a gold star used for the current Cup holders. The only MLS club that bolsters a gold star on their uniform is LA Galaxy but only during CCL matches (only CCL win). And even then the gold star is above and the three silver stars below the crest.

I'm sorry, but that's wrong.

LA won the 2011 and 2012 MLS Cups, making a total of four (2002, 2005).

2011: Two stars

la-galaxy-2011-home.jpg

2012: Two stars, plus the MLS scudetto:

LA-Galaxy-adidas-2012-jersey.jpg

2013: Three silver stars, one gold star:

la-galaxy-home-authentic-shirt-2013-14.j

2014: Four silver stars:

la-galaxy-home-shirt-header.jpg

The Galaxy themselves mention the significance of the gold star in 2013:

The front of the new kit features three silver championship stars honoring previous MLS titles and one gold star celebrating last season’s championship.

Kansas City did likewise:

Two stars are vertically stacked above the shield to represent the team’s two MLS Cup championships (2000, 2013), highlighted by the gold star exclusive to Sporting Kansas City as a distinction of Major League Soccer’s reigning champion.

So they'll put the gold star above the others. I like that.

Didn't care for the MLS scudetto. The jerseys are cluttered enough as they are, and the patch itself wasn't particularly well-designed. The beauty of Serie A's scudetto is that it's a simple national tricolor. Made both inappropriate because of Canada and irrelevant by the silly flag patches they already wear.

Yeah the gold star above silver stars seems like the best option. Doesn't clutter up the jersey, still signifies the current champion, and is unique (I think) to MLS

i don't like year-long patches to celebrate last year's title. Just Do on opening day and then move on to the next season. Its not as though your the REIGNING champion as if this was boxing where you have to beat the current champion to become the new one. You won last year's tournament, but this year everyone starts over. So last year's title is exactly as significant as one from 10 years ago.

That video was funny and embarrassing. Wonder if it'll be a Portland Timbers logo thing where they actually change it.

I stand corrected on the who gold star embroidery on kits. Thank you for the clarification on this. I will be the first to admit when I'm wrong. Cheers!

toronto-fc-adidas-2014-authentic-short-s

BiFnqOLCUAA0Ivx.jpg

Replica does not have the maple leaves. I think I prefer it!

toronto-fc-adidas-2014-replica-short-sle

Thanks, "both" are nice. :suspect:

That video was funny and embarrassing. Wonder if it'll be a Portland Timbers logo thing where they actually change it.

Nice ambience :upside:

Judging the players faces, you know the're having a ball!

I think the whole thing with the jerseys is just another chapter in the ongoing feud between the supporters and the front office.

Apparently things have been heated for a while between the two camps and it has escalated during this preseason with the relocation of the Sector Latino section.

http://www.chicagonow.com/fire-confidential/2014/02/sector-latino-relocation-sets-off-uproar/

Personally I am on the side of the front office in regards to the jerseys (not that bad) and the relocation (they just moved them to a different section near the other supporters).

Little more clear picture of the new Caps alternate kit. These sublimations Adidas is using this year look nice in a still photo, but are so subtle I think they will basically be invisible during actual games. I like making the adidas strips silver, nice change. For the 40th anniversary season, it would have been nice to have a throwback kit based on the old NASL jerseys.

vancouver-whitecaps-fc-adidas-2014-authe

Both TFC and Whitecaps alternate kits look really good this year. Nice to see both clubs doing something out of the box for their kits other than the same cookie cutter designs...I think I will be buying the VWFC alternate kit.

That's a disgrace that Adidas have basically changed the design for the replica Toronto away!! Here in England it is very rare or unheard of for people to buy the authentic one? The replicas are always made to look exactly the same so why the mls jerseys have to look so different is beyond me!! Would be fair if replica had none stitched flag etc but to not have one and not have maple leaf design! I'm worried about my USA team Orlando! I don't want to have to pay an extra $30 for the real kit!

Adidas has done different kits (with small differences) between match worn and replica. I don't know if adidas realizes that supporters can spot the difference between the kits and not wanting to spend an extra $30. The Whitecaps had the exact same kit except the replica didn't have the Canada flag patch, a cheaper MLS crest and was missing "since 1974" from below back collar on their first two home kits. Just hate being gouged.

Nice ambience :upside:

Judging the players faces, you know the're having a ball!

I think the whole thing with the jerseys is just another chapter in the ongoing feud between the supporters and the front office.

Apparently things have been heated for a while between the two camps and it has escalated during this preseason with the relocation of the Sector Latino section.

http://www.chicagonow.com/fire-confidential/2014/02/sector-latino-relocation-sets-off-uproar/

Personally I am on the side of the front office in regards to the jerseys (not that bad) and the relocation (they just moved them to a different section near the other supporters).

I'd say thats probably the reason of the boooos.

Thanks for info.

Adidas has done different kits (with small differences) between match worn and replica. I don't know if adidas realizes that supporters can spot the difference between the kits and not wanting to spend an extra $30. The Whitecaps had the exact same kit except the replica didn't have the Canada flag patch, a cheaper MLS crest and was missing "since 1974" from below back collar on their first two home kits. Just hate being gouged.

Far be it from me to be an apologist for multinational corporations, but it's not like Adidas is a philanthropy. They're in this to make a profit, and clearly they'd prefer it if people forked over for the more expensive -- and higher margin -- authentics. If the two were nearly identical, why would anyone buy an authentic? Those extra flourishes on the authentics are intended as an incentive to buy. If you can live without those details, then you should be satisfied with the replica.

Frankly, this would be a better argument if these brands simply refused to make replicas and only sold the authentics. At least there's a choice.

From the Fire's release:

http://m.chicago-fire.com/news/2014/03/release-chicago-fire-soccer-club-unveils-2014-primary-kit

This years look is inspired by the fire trucks of City of Chicago, said Mike Walker, global product manager at adidas North America. They have a distinctive look with a dark top, a band and red throughout the bottom half. Not only does this give a nod to the Chicago Fire Department, but its also a very iconic element of the city itself. We also thought it was so compelling to see the light blue color of the Chicago flag represented so powerfully across the front band of the kit.

Also "31 percent lighter" -- seriously.

Bold highlights the absurdity.

Fire supporters' chief complaint about the switch from a white stripe to navy was the elimination of the fire truck tribute. This does not change that at all.

ENGINE_62__FDD641__2007_SPARTAN_-_CRIMSO

And does anyone see a powerful use of powder?

Bh5qR_uCMAAZAfu.jpg

Are the light blue lines supposed to look like a close up of a tv screen? I don't get it, especially when it negatively effects the sponsor logo. Odd.

Far be it from me to be an apologist for multinational corporations, but it's not like Adidas is a philanthropy. They're in this to make a profit, and clearly they'd prefer it if people forked over for the more expensive -- and higher margin -- authentics. If the two were nearly identical, why would anyone buy an authentic? Those extra flourishes on the authentics are intended as an incentive to buy. If you can live without those details, then you should be satisfied with the replica.

Frankly, this would be a better argument if these brands simply refused to make replicas and only sold the authentics. At least there's a choice.

Yeah but, in my case, its the first time I see a replica which doesnt look at this degree like the authentic.

I mean, the qualification "replica" simply doent apply IMHO, which is why I posted "both" are fine.. Strange situation.

Yeah I think usually the differences aren't as obvious as it is here with the TFC kit. I have a replica Whitecaps home jersey and I'm not sure what exactly is different (besides the lack of Canada flag). With the TFC kit, its noticeable immediately.

I do agree though that it is certainly adidas prerogative to do this. If we don't like it, we buy the authentic. But as I said, in this case I think I might prefer it without the maple leaves. I do hate the nationalist pandering that TFC constantly clings to.