2014 MLS Changes

kw11333

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a change we'd see in 2014, but a Chivas USA blog has found two trademarks filed by Chivas Guadalajara Licensing LLC indicating a potential rebrand in the works:

While there are some common elements in the logos for Los Angeles SC and Los Angeles F.C., stylistically they are considerably different. The Los Angeles SC logo is a black shield with a swooping red cross dividing it into four parts. In the cross it says "Los Angeles SC" in white. In the upper left-hand quadrant is a gold star, the upper-right has a gold tower, on the bottom left is a gold lion, and the bottom right is a bear, also gold. The lion bears resemblance to the lions on the Chivas USA crest, while the bear looks just like the one on the state flag of California.

In contrast, the Los Angeles F.C. logo also has the colors of black, red, and gold, and the same basic elements, but the design is quite distinct, with a stylized black eagle above a red lion and black bear, all in front of a red tower, with "Los Angeles F.C." on top. Gold accents run along the outside of the shield, and a soccer ball sits near the bottom of the crest.

I like the color choice and the Los Angeles FC badge. The name, while better than Chivas in my mind, is a little pedestrian. It just seems the easy route these days to affix the FC/SC after the city name. While I've long been a supporter of MLS adopting world soccer naming conventions, I've grown tired of it.

They can rebrand all they want, but in this city, it's a complete losing battle.

The problem with Chivas USA in general is that the whole team was a walking contradiction. CD Guadalajara prides itself in only having Mexican players on its roster. So, by having an outpost in LA trying to bring in fans of the parent club, said fans are being alienated due to the club not following that roster tradition and having guys like Dan Kennedy and Bobby Burling on the pitch. And this goes on the reverse token as well, because non-Mexican fans aren't going to support a club with a history of being exclusive to having one nationality on its roster. And there's the little issue of Chivas USA's management discriminating against its own non-Mexican employees.

And all that aside, this is another Lakers/Clippers scenario with a far more successful club sharing a stadium/arena with a laughingstock, except unlike the Clippers, Chivas isn't improving any time soon, and the Galaxy isn't destined to fall to the bottom of the ladder.

VmWIn6B.png

How do we know that these trademarks aren't just for a potential USLPro affiliate they could be planning on?

That's a good question. But with Chivas, it's a reasonably good assumption that this is a MLS rebrand. I don't think anybody would be surprised if they had strong market research showing that their brand barely resonates in L.A., or anywhere else for that matter. It's the only club in MLS where casual fans have to ask, "where do they play?" And if their strategy of linking to their Mexican parent club isn't drawing eyeballs to the TV and butts in the seats, then they need a new strategy.

How do we know that these trademarks aren't just for a potential USLPro affiliate they could be planning on?

That's a good question. But with Chivas, it's a reasonably good assumption that this is a MLS rebrand. I don't think anybody would be surprised if they had strong market research showing that their brand barely resonates in L.A., or anywhere else for that matter. It's the only club in MLS where casual fans have to ask, "where do they play?" And if their strategy of linking to their Mexican parent club isn't drawing eyeballs to the TV and butts in the seats, then they need a new strategy.

I think the only way they would rebrand is if they were trying to entice people to possibly buy the team but last I heard Vergara now wants NYCFC money ($100 million) for that team. I don't think anyone is going to throw that much money on the soccer version of the pre-Griffin Clippers.

With that being said I am still shocked that they actually trademarked Los Angeles Soccer Club considering their stupid "Adios Soccer, el futbol esta aqui" campaign they did when they first broke into MLS.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

They can rebrand all they want, but in this city, it's a complete losing battle.

The problem with Chivas USA in general is that the whole team was a walking contradiction. CD Guadalajara prides itself in only having Mexican players on its roster. So, by having an outpost in LA trying to bring in fans of the parent club, said fans are being alienated due to the club not following that roster tradition and having guys like Dan Kennedy and Bobby Burling on the pitch. And this goes on the reverse token as well, because non-Mexican fans aren't going to support a club with a history of being exclusive to having one nationality on its roster. And there's the little issue of Chivas USA's management discriminating against its own non-Mexican employees.

And all that aside, this is another Lakers/Clippers scenario with a far more successful club sharing a stadium/arena with a laughingstock, except unlike the Clippers, Chivas isn't improving any time soon, and the Galaxy isn't destined to fall to the bottom of the ladder.

Actually Chivas has made some moves to try and bolster themselves htis off season, and a lot of that has been done by eliminating their defacto racist stance on their staff and players. And if they drop the Chivas name a lot of that animosity they receive by being nothing but a second rate Liga MX team disappears.

Seems like Chivas should move down to San Diego, although maybe they feel Tijuana already owns that area. I remember talk of a new stadium near the US/Mexico border that would seem to be perfect for a soccer team down there.

There's no stadium in San Diego that would work for MLS and none planned. No stadium, no reason to move to San Diego. SD is too focused right now on getting the Chargers and Aztecs a new stadium anyway. Not that MLS and their new partners at the USL have abandoned SD completely. Real Salt Lake is heavily rumored to be placing a wholly owned USL affiliate in San Diego for the 2015 season.

If Vergara continues to own them, I'd be absolutely shocked if there was a rebranding coming.

Why? Vegera himself confirmed on ESPNMX that they were exploring this and that the Chivas name is basically dirt in LA now. Even he has seen the light.

Tom Marshall @mexicoworldcup Follow

Jorge Vergara on @ESPNMX: "We are carrying out studies because four years of failures has degraded the name of Chivas in Los Angeles a lot."

Jorge Vergara on @ESPNMX: "We are carrying out studies because four years of failures has degraded the name of Chivas in Los Angeles a lot."

That HBO special by Soledad O'Brien did a lot more damage to Chivas than the last 4 years of bad results did.

Chivas USA got destroyed on that thing.

That HBO special by Soledad O'Brien did a lot more damage to Chivas than the last 4 years of bad results did.

Chivas USA got destroyed on that thing.

I have a feeling he wasn't just talking about on field failures.

I was going to guess Spanish Imperial symbolism. The lion is a symbol of the Spanish royal family, as was a black eagle at the time of the Spanish settlement of the area that would become Los Angeles. Sort of an attempt to appeal to the Latino community without using the Chivas brand.

I've been staring at both all day and I'm not a fan of either. The "FC"crest is too busy for me and the soccer ball is of a completely different design and looks added on like it was an after thought. The "SC" looks more like a vintage car emblem.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I like the SC logo so much more than the FC logo.

The lion, eagle, and bear are so cluttered together in the FC logo that it's hard for me to distinguish each of the animals unless I look really closely at it.

Archived