Stateside Soccer Federation (Seattle added)

jdp

So, admittedly, I'm trying to get out ahead of other threads here. That may not be cool, but I've noticed several lately, and I've been working on this for a while, so I thought I might as well at least get my league structure/team names out there... Just so I don't look like too much of a copy cat.

I originally started doing concepts for a bunch of worldwide club teams (and I might continue that), but that wasn't getting much traction. I'm guessing because I was trying to concept too many existing teams. So why not make up my own...?

Stateside Soccer Federation

The idea for the Stateside Soccer Federation came from an article posted on the MLS website: What if we made "state-by-state" teams? California and Texas would dominate.

Although I don't necessarily agree with that statement, I thought it would be interesting to concept teams for each state. And, thus, the Stateside Soccer Federation.
Each state gets a team. There are 10 regional divisions with five teams per division (all listed below). Over the course of a couple/few weeks, I will upload a new concept for each team, including name, crest, kits, derbies/competitions and a few other fun things from time to time.

C&C always welcome, even at this point in the process.

Here we go...

Pacific Division
Anchorage Frontier
San Francisco Redwoods ("The Reds")
Hawaii Hammerheads
Oregon Cascades
Seattle Orcas
Mountain Division
Arizona Coppers
Colorado Majesty
Nevada Sages
Albuquerque Roadrunners
Utah Beehive
High Plains Division
Boise Gems
Big Sky SC
ND Roughriders
Sioux Falls Badlanders
Wyoming Drovers
Prairie Division
Iowa Stalkers (as in corn)
Kansas Suns
Nebraska Mammoths
OK Drillers
Minnesota Stars
Great Lakes Division
Illinois Railsplitters
Indiana Dunes
Ohio Scarlet
Michigan Mastodon
Milwaukee Drifters
Gulf Division
Magic City Yellowhammers
Jacksonville Storm
NOLA Deltas
Mississippi Magnolias ("The Mags")
Houston Clutch
Valley Division
Little Rock Naturals ("The Bauxers")
Louisville Bluegrass
KC Hearts
Tennessee Smokies
West Virginia Dales
Piedmont Division
Atlanta Gatekeepers
Annapolis Skipjacks ("Skippers")
Carolina Aviators ("Gliders")
SC Palmettos
Virginia Tidewater
Megalopolis Division
Wilmington Wonders ("The Dubs")
New York Excelsior
New Jersey Strong
Penn Liberty ("The Bells")
Bridgeport Schooners
New England Division
Portland (Maine) Blues (as in blueberries)
Boston Hub (play at "The Colony")
Manchester Granite ("The Finches")
Providence Blackstone ("Rhodies")
Burlington Thrush

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets go Nevada! Sages as in Sagebrush? Anyways, I'll be following this.

That's it. I was trying my best to avoid something related to gambling and/or Las Vegas. Also thought about the Nevada Silvers (state mineral).

Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

I would actually suggest Wyoming Excelsior, based of the geyser.

Hmmm. I really like that. I went with Excelsior for NY because that is the state motto.

Now I'm torn. Gee, thanks. :P

A few name changes already:

Houston Aeros >> Houston Clutch
Just saw that Aeros is already in use for an NHL concept
New York Excelsior >> New York Princes (harkening all the way back to the founding of New Amsterdam)
New Jersey Metros (too similar to original MLS team) >> New Jersey Strong
Cheyenne Bighorns >> Cheyenne Excelsior (after the geyser--Thanks, ujju2)

New York Excelsior >> New York Princes (harkening all the way back to the founding of New Amsterdam)

Could use dukes instead of princes.

Could use dukes instead of princes.

It definitely sounds better, but I went with Princes to refer to the flag on which the NYC flag is based.

Maybe NY Oranje ...?

I'd like to suggest a name change for Sioux Falls. SF is on the eastern border of South Dakota, while the Badlands are all the way on the other side of the state. So if I were you, I'd probably rename/relocate the South Dakota to Rapid City, which is right next to the Black Hills, and have them be called the "Black Hills XXXXXXX" or something like that.

And as an Iowan myself, the Iowa Stalkers are a little.... "out there," because it's BOTH good and bad at the same time. It's good because it's unique, bad because it sounds funny/wrong. But that's just me.

Can't really speak for the other states.

But otherwise, I really like the league structure and I love how you named the divisions. I generally hate "directions" names as in West, East, North, South. They're boring, IMO, and you did a great job coming up with "flower-y" names for them!

Can't wait to see where this goes.

I'd like to suggest a name change for Sioux Falls. SF is on the eastern border of South Dakota, while the Badlands are all the way on the other side of the state. So if I were you, I'd probably rename/relocate the South Dakota to Rapid City, which is right next to the Black Hills, and have them be called the "Black Hills XXXXXXX" or something like that.

And as an Iowan myself, the Iowa Stalkers are a little.... "out there," because it's BOTH good and bad at the same time. It's good because it's unique, bad because it sounds funny/wrong. But that's just me.

Can't really speak for the other states.

But otherwise, I really like the league structure and I love how you named the divisions. I generally hate "directions" names as in West, East, North, South. They're boring, IMO, and you did a great job coming up with "flower-y" names for them!

Can't wait to see where this goes.

Baltimore isn't the only city in Maryland ya know... go for Annapolis

You guys present some valid arguments, so I'll update names: Annapolis (my cousin was in the Naval Academy) and Rapid City. But I'm keeping the "mascots."

Rapid City Badlanders

Annapolis Skipjacks

For the record, I went with the most-populated city in each state, which lead to Baltimore and Sioux Falls. Not overly original, but I wanted to keep out personal biases. For instance, I really wanted to give my hometown a team. I did learn something from this approach, though: Jacksonville is bigger than Miami, both in size and population.

Oh, and if you have suggestions for Iowa, I'm all ears.

For the record, I went with the most-populated city in each state, which lead to Baltimore and Sioux Falls. Not overly original, but I wanted to keep out personal biases. For instance, I really wanted to give my hometown a team. I did learn something from this approach, though: Jacksonville is bigger than Miami, both in size and population.

Sorry to nit-pick then but you are therefore placing the California team in Los Angeles and still calling them the Redwoods. It works for the state don't get me wrong but the Redwoods are way up north.

I think if you are going to go with Redwoods as a nickname you should perhaps make an exception to your rule of the states largest city and place the team in San Francisco instead.

7fe6a713-a81f-4ac9-b995-837498cd0466_zps

Very well. Thanks for all the feedback and legitimate C&C. I've made the name changes above. I even went back through to see that the rest were reasonable. Here are the changes:

Boston Hub
Atlanta Gatekeepers
Annapolis Skipjacks
KC Hearts
Jacksonville Storm
Rapid City Badlanders
Big Sky SC
San Francisco Redwoods
All good?

OK. Final changes.

I was never really happy with the Princes, so NY becomes Excelsior again. And, although I like the geyser angle, something just isn't sitting right with me when trying to apply a name. And I'm removing Cheyenne as the place. Although it is the largest city, I'm not finding a defining characteristic. I though about the Ranchers, but that makes me think of chicken and salad dressing.

...so that leaves me with the Wyoming Drovers (and their fans are called the Herd).

Archived