Chivas USA Sold to MLS; Rebrand Will Take Place After A New Owner Is Found

colortv

Adding to the "no confusion" pile: AC Milan/Inter Milan, Yokohama F. Marinos/Yokohama FC, Boston U/Boston College, Man Utd/FC Utd of Manchester, Dundee FC/Dundee Utd, Dynamo Moscow-Spartak Moscow-CSKA Moscow, Red Star Belgrade/Partizan Belgrade...I've probably overkilled the point by now.

In any event, as long as they don't make all white with navy trim their first choice or coax Beckham out of retirement, nobody's gonna mistake LAFC for the Galaxy. Maybe they should revive the LA Aztecs name, seeing as it'd be rather foolish for the Galaxy to do so at this point.

The new NASL owns LA Aztecs name so that wouldn't be possible.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adding to the "no confusion" pile: AC Milan/Inter Milan, Yokohama F. Marinos/Yokohama FC, Boston U/Boston College, Man Utd/FC Utd of Manchester, Dundee FC/Dundee Utd, Dynamo Moscow-Spartak Moscow-CSKA Moscow, Red Star Belgrade/Partizan Belgrade...I've probably overkilled the point by now.

In any event, as long as they don't make all white with navy trim their first choice or coax Beckham out of retirement, nobody's gonna mistake LAFC for the Galaxy. Maybe they should revive the LA Aztecs name, seeing as it'd be rather foolish for the Galaxy to do so at this point.

The new NASL owns LA Aztecs name so that wouldn't be possible.

Besides the Aztecs name has very little cache worth reviving.

imageagentproxy1.jpg?w=136&h=140

If they were to lose the gradients and better integrate the ball, I would absolutely LOVE this badge!

(Now that I think about it, swap out the ball for a larger FC. Then, eliminate the small FC on the castle.)

Honestly they could put a piece of caca on the badge and it would still be an upgrade over an LA based team using the seal of a city 1000 miles away in another country as the basis for their badge.

The two logos I have seen are much better than the current branding they use. a Mexican B. team is a joke.

I'd be most happy if they moved to San Diego.

I don't think changing the team name will bring in a huge audience to be honest. While there may be a slight increase, Chivas USA will never be succesful being the "2nd best team" in Los Angeles. While it may work in basketball, it doesn't in MLS. This coming from a big soccer fan and player.

The two logos I have seen are much better than the current branding they use. a Mexican B. team is a joke.

I don't think changing the team name will bring in a huge audience to be honest. While there may be a slight increase, Chivas USA will never be succesful being the "2nd best team" in Los Angeles. While it may work in basketball, it doesn't in MLS. This coming from a big soccer fan and player.

Garber has already said that he isn't going to move the team from Los Angeles.

As for the two names proposed I would love for the name to be Los Angeles Soccer Club because it would further emphasize the stupidity of the "Adios Soccer" campaign they had when they first broke into the league. Chivas USA has been a miserable failure and it has been fun to see them go down in flames. .

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Between Garber and Vergera not wanting to move the team out of LA and San Diego not having anywhere they can play it's not likely to happen. No SD will have to make due with the forthcoming USL team next season and their neighbors actualy Liga MX squad in Tijuana rather than some two bit US ripoff of Guadalajara's team.

So why is the team getting a rebrand? Wouldn't having two teams with "Los Angeles" in their names get confusing, especially for soccer?

Manchester City

Manchester United

I don't see people getting them confused.

Like those two teams, the Galaxy and this rumored LAFC/SC could also have that red vs blue thing going on too. No one will get these two confused, especially in the city.

MLS has purchased Chivas USA. Name-pertinent quote:

The club will play as Chivas USA during the 2014 MLS season and will be rebranded with a new team name and logo in connection with the sale to a new owner.

End of an error.

Wonder how the rebranding trademarks work out since they were registered to the Chivas company and not the team per se.

The club will play as Chivas USA during the 2014 MLS season and will be rebranded with a new team name and logo in connection with the sale to a new owner.

End of an error.

Wonder how the rebranding trademarks work out since they were registered to the Chivas company and not the team per se.

Maybe they were included in the sale?

My guess is that the Los Angeles FC/SC thing is just a hold-over name because they don't have a buyer lined up and they won't be able to use the Chivas name/imagery due to trademark issues with them no longer involved, especially if this team is under league control for 2-3 years.

My guess is that the Los Angeles FC/SC thing is just a hold-over name because they don't have a buyer lined up and they won't be able to use the Chivas name/imagery due to trademark issues with them no longer involved, especially if this team is under league control for 2-3 years.

The MLS news release says Vergara retains all Chivas branding but is allowing league continued use of the name and logo until a new owner is ID'd.

Here's a conspiracy theory: Maybe Vergara commissioned the new brand identity to mollify a league that no longer wanted him. In the end, it didn't work, and he was forced to sell.

Conspiracies are fun.

End of an error.

One theory I've heard floated is that Vergera was forced out and his last gasp move was to buy those trademarks to prevent their use by anyone else.

Maybe, but I think the name he chose for his team was the least of the league's problems with his ownership.

No, because they can't be placeholders waiting for a new regime if they're leaving with the old one. Those logos are still owned by the now-former owner of Chivas USA.

End of an error.

One theory I've heard floated is that Vergera was forced out and his last gasp move was to buy those trademarks to prevent their use by anyone else.

It wouldn't surprise me if opted for that bit of well poisoning.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived