Chivas USA Sold to MLS; Rebrand Will Take Place After A New Owner Is Found

colortv

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be surprised if over the next year the club and new owners find a new stadium site that isn't in LA proper, that the team ditches Los Angeles from their name altogether. Could go with Orange County or Anaheim or wherever they end up.

I also think that a team named LA Gunners would never fly. Washington Bullets didn't last, Gunners likely wouldn't either.

It will certainly be fun to see where this ends up, especially if LAFC/SC are both off the table (which hasn't been confirmed yet).

Of course the irony in that first statement is that StubHub Center isn't in LA proper to begin with.

VmWIn6B.png

A team in a league that calls itself "Major League Soccer" should be called SC not FC.

We dont call it football in this country, accept it and move on.

Umm...

FC_Dallas_Logo-1021x1024.jpg

6a00e54ef2975b88330133f57ae11f970b-pi.jp

It's stupid. The fact that Dallas does it, doesnt make it any better. It makes as much sense as calling a team "Real"

I wouldn't be surprised if over the next year the club and new owners find a new stadium site that isn't in LA proper, that the team ditches Los Angeles from their name altogether. Could go with Orange County or Anaheim or wherever they end up.

I also think that a team named LA Gunners would never fly. Washington Bullets didn't last, Gunners likely wouldn't either.

It will certainly be fun to see where this ends up, especially if LAFC/SC are both off the table (which hasn't been confirmed yet).

Of course the irony in that first statement is that StubHub Center isn't in LA proper to begin with.

So maybe in a few years time we can have the Carson Galaxy and Ranchocucamonga FC ;)

On a side note, Ranchocucamonga is the greatest name for a place ever. When I first heard it in Workaholics, I thought it was made up.

So maybe in a few years time we can have the Carson Galaxy and Ranchocucamonga FC ;)

On a side note, Ranchocucamonga is the greatest name for a place ever. When I first heard it in Workaholics, I thought it was made up.

I agree wholeheartedly... Whenever I hear "Rancho Cucamonga" I somehow think of this guy:

caveman.jpg

:upside:

I have a theory outside if the ones already talked about. Chivas USA needs a new home, and has been exploring a move within the LA area for some time now. USC has stated they would like to tear down the LA Sports Arena and build a new soccer stadium. If Chivas is indeed the target, USC may want the struggling team to rebrand or at least come up with an identity that would bring in fans that wouldn't associate or identify with the Mexican club. LA FC is a much more ambiguous identity that could perceivably draw in the casual fan. The Chivas brand brings with it an idea one has to be invested or identify with the Mexican link to the club, or that the club is ment to be a Latin American affair. This isn't true of all Chivas USA supporters, but it may make many many shy away. It may seem ethnocentric or even racist, but I think the club is keeping non Mexican fans away who don't feel comfortable supporting what is seen as a pseudo Mexican club. A new stadium on USC property may come with request to put a more European/American emphasis to the identity.

Plus the leaked crests are crimson, very similar to Trojan colors. Maybe I'm reaching, but its a thought.

Chivas will remain in Los Angeles, MLS Commissioner Don Garber said, and the league is moving forward with plans for a new stadium for the club, with an emphasis on the LA Sports Arena site next to the Coliseum and controlled by USC. Garber said the league hopes to find a local owner by the end of the year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/la-galaxy-respond-mls-purchase-182401049--mls.html

Wow you nailed it.

Southern California FC (SCFC). I love it.

Or better yet... United Southern California

Roma+Kits+2014.jpg

United Southern California wouldn't happen for fear of threeve court battles over branding and trademarks with USC.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Is there a single, valid reason not to fold the franchise and let somebody else have a shot at an MLS franchise? Chivas had their chance and pissed the bed. I see no reason for a second chance at this point. Time to move on.

Is there a single, valid reason not to fold the franchise and let somebody else have a shot at an MLS franchise? Chivas had their chance and pissed the bed. I see no reason for a second chance at this point. Time to move on.

I'm not sure what the difference would be in these circumstances. Short of dumping all the players -- which a new owner might do anyway -- having new owners that don't run it like a farm club for the Mexican league is as close to a fresh start for this club as you can get.

Perhaps they still think a second LA-area team is still a better shot than anyone else. I could see that being realistic if say Orlando hadn't already been granted its team, but short of maybe San Antonio, the next batch of MLS expansion contenders does seem to be a few steps below where they need to be.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

As a former resident of my beloved Rancho Chokeyomama for many years, it is indeed a real place. It's never really properly shown on TV though. Next Friday's "Rancho Cucamonga" doesn't exist. Personally I'm quite fond of Cucamonga Crackerkillaz FC. ?

Yup a Next Friday reference. Boom.

And if you don't want to splurge on the expansion fee, Chicago should be available for purchase and relocation before the decade is out.

out of curiosity.....what makes you say that?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived