Houston Astros Concept - Home Script Posted Along With Revised Road Script Variations

robbman21

It's been forever, several years actually, since I've posted a non-alternate universe concept on this board. Been wanting to do a rethinking of the Astros for a very long time, especially for the past two years since a uniform change to the old colors was announced. I figured instead of doing up the whole concept and unleashing it all at once, I'd instead post the individual elements as I go and allow for feedback and critique to steer it into territories that even I may not have conceived. So here it is, the modernized yet retro rethinking of the classic Houston Astros rainbows. Enjoy.

HoustonScript1_zps7ab2ee62.png

98Falcons.png

My jaw literally dropped at the sheer, majestic beauty of this script. A chorus of baby angels popped up out of nowhere and hymned Beethoven's Symphony 9, and a wild tiger sprang from upstairs and started playing Van Halen's Eruption on an electric guitar once the angels were finished, and finally, Chuck Norris wrestled Godzilla in my living room while I viewed this absolute masterpiece.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I tried a white outline on the star only, another nod to the original rainbows, and I thought it was gorgeous, but at the same time the white outline didn't work IMO around the whole script. I also thought about putting this on an off-white/cream road uniform instead of gray, to mimic the 1987-92 road unis. I tried to do balanced weights among the tail streaks, but the blue got really lost so I had to make it thicker, and then the bright yellow had an odd landing spot on the star, so I kind of graduated each outline so that the bright yellow falls right into the point of the star. THAT was really tricky. Also I looked at doing more colors in the streak, but the original used those same shades, and actually not even in a cohesive pattern as is seen here, and a true gradient was absolutely out of the question, so my hands were a little tied up on this one but if anyone has some other suggestions for that layout or colors I'd love to hear them. Thanks for all the feedback so far.

98Falcons.png

I cleaned up the original road wordmark quite a bit, fixed the "S", corrected a lot of the lines and curves for a cleaner look/feel.

HoustonScriptRevised_zpse9f26909.png

While I was at it I took some of your advice and added a white outline:

HoustonScriptWhiteOutline_zps1ba91c0d.pn

And another where only the star itself is outlined, which is my fave of these three.

HoustonScriptWhiteStar_zps267ff641.png

And finally, the original script on a cream colored jersey, an ode to the road jerseys of 1987-1992, which were more-or-less indistinguishable from their regular white jerseys. I want to create a road version of the classic rainbows, and this is where it may start.

HoustonScriptCreamUni_zpsc07189e7.png

98Falcons.png

Archived