NBA Expansion, Contraction, Globalization, or Nothing

hettinger_rl

Interesting 5 on 5 discussion along these line on ESPN.com the other day: LINK

I am of the opinion that Seattle and either Las Vegas or San Jose would be good additions (32 teams should be the cap in the NBA). If these teams would come into the league then obviously the Western Con. would be too large; solution - move Minnesota and Memphis to the Eastern Con. They would add some beef to the weaker half of the league and the expantion teams would dilute the stronger, possibly evenening out the league a little.

Another idea floating around is adding teams in Europe to the NBA. I feel like this would be a failure... a costly failure. One way that it may work though is if they made a kind of mirror league with 2 conferences that operates in Europe only, except for a few games a year where the "EBA" teams play an NBA team and after the champions are crowned in their respective leagues they play a series to determine the true "World Champions." For this to work the NBA and FIBA would likely need to intermix rules for truely global gameplay.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. I agree that 32 teams should be the cap (if only because I've always believed that the other major leagues should have as many teams as the NFL does). Seattle's a given, but I've always thought Kansas City or St. Louis should get the other team (basketball is HUGE in the Heartland, and yet they don't have an NBA team?)

2. If contraction is what happens, then expect the Bucks to end up on the chopping block...of course, contraction SCREAMS "minor league" to me.

3. WHY DOES EVERY LEAGUE BOSS WANT GLOBAL EXPANSION TO HAPPEN?! It won't.

4. SOMETHING has to change...that's something we can all agree on.

bYhYmxh.png

No expansion. The league is too watered down as it is. Seattle needs a franchise and is definitely next in line for whoever moves. At the moment, In the end, Milwaukee is the only team with any real venue problems and I think there'll be a resolution when it's all said and done.

Beyond that, I don't think there's a real demand in any vacant city. The NBA has always seemed to thrive when they enter virgin territory. Salt Lake City, Portland, OKC, Sacramento, San Antonio, Phoenix at the time, etc. I guess Las Vegas fits that bill but there are a lot of X-Factors. Maybe Virginia Beach/Norfolk if they get a solid plan for an arena. The Kings flirted with the idea a couple of years ago but it was just a flash in the pan due to no real substance.

St. Louis is a no for the reasons listed above. Kansas City for similar reasons and also it's a college ball town. That's a big reason Memphis has had some growing pains.

sig.png

I think concurrent American and European leagues would be cool, with a global All-Star game and an exhibition (or even for reals) world series after the NBA/NBAE Finals.

However, I don't think Milwaukee should be playing Berlin on a Tuesday night in April. That would be dumb.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Seattle is the obvious favorite, but Louisville is basketball crazy, and has a new arena that needs some financial help. Realignment would be easy, with four 4-team divisions per conference.

As said many times before, Louisville would be much like Memphis. But the University of Louisville controls the building in terms if scheduling, signage, and premium seating revenue.

Plus, AEG took over operations of the facility from the Fair Board and turned a profit as of late. It has less to do with the events held, rather the lack of other businesss in the taxing district around the arena.

http://insiderlouisville.com/news/2013/08/12/arena-authority-board-declares-victory-says-profit-marks-turning-point-in-kfc-yum-center-finances/

Seattle is the obvious favorite, but Louisville is basketball crazy, and has a new arena that needs some financial help. Realignment would be easy, with four 4-team divisions per conference.

I can't see Louisville as a professional basketball city, as the region is too absorbed between the Wildcats and Cardinals rivalry in the NCAA. I don't either see an NBA team being in Missouri, as St. Louis is mostly a baseball-1st city while Kansas City already makes profit from the Sprint Arena without the needs of an NHL or NBA team.

I prefer contraction and player displacement over expansion, anyway. The optimal number of NBA teams I'd prefer is between 22-24; then I'd decrease the number of playoff teams per conference to 6. That way, the regular season games matter more to players and fans.

Regarding Louisville:

The ABA Colonels did reasonably well IIRC and would have been a viable NBA team had John Y. Brown not gotten an "in" into NBA ownership.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think concurrent American and European leagues would be cool, with a global All-Star game and an exhibition (or even for reals) world series after the NBA/NBAE Finals.

However, I don't think Milwaukee should be playing Berlin on a Tuesday night in April. That would be dumb.

Full-fledged European NBA teams is a bad idea, but this...this may have legs.

The NBA has always seemed to thrive when they enter virgin territory. Salt Lake City, Portland, OKC, Sacramento, San Antonio, Phoenix at the time, etc. I guess Las Vegas fits that bill but there are a lot of X-Factors. Maybe Virginia Beach/Norfolk if they get a solid plan for an arena. The Kings flirted with the idea a couple of years ago but it was just a flash in the pan due to no real substance.

I don't either see an NBA team being in Missouri, as St. Louis is mostly a baseball-1st city while Kansas City already makes profit from the Sprint Arena without the needs of an NHL or NBA team.
Jefferson City?
:D

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Euroleague CEO Jordi Bertomeu was present in Athens, Greece, and before the game between Olympiacos and Anadolu Efes he spoke about almost every matter of the competition. However the most important part of the press conference was the way he presented the possible expansion of the NBA to Europe under the terms of the American league as almost an impossible plan. That’s why according to him the cooperation with Euroleague should be considered the only way for this to be done.

"There should be 5-6 really strong European teams in a league with a 130 million USD financial turnover. That means tickets which will cost 100 euros per average and at least 150 sellouts per season. Our television partners should pay ten times more for the rights. And we also have to answer how the salary cap will work under a possible six different taxation laws in different countries. There are many legal issues. A lot of people talk about NBA in Europe, but not about those matters. My place is to give answers. It’s easy to make the questions. Adam Silver, the new commissioner, is a great contributor to the sport. We have met and I think that we have a future together. We want to increase our cooperation and we want to see things realistically”.

Asked about the Euroleague’s relationship with the NBA, Mr. Bertomeu expressed his admiration for new NBA commissioner Adam Silver, who he called “a great contributor to the sport.” Mr Bertomeu added, “We have met and I think that we have a future together. We want to increase our cooperation and we want to see things realistically”.

http://www.eurohoops.net/2014/02/dribbling/42340

http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/132109/180

Limiting the crossover to All-Star games and preseason could be the magic formula.

I'm not sure a "World" Series makes sense, as the NBA Finals become a play-in and over time the Super Bowl replaces the NFL championship, so to speak. Play it as an exhibition the next year after roster turnover and you get a talker and a lot of "what ifs" without diluting the brand or having anything real at stake.

The one thing for Louisville is…there is no other professional game in town. It's one of the largest cities in the country without a professional (big 4) team. Only Austin & El Paso are bigger without pro teams. (Ft. Worth is bigger and technically doesn't have a team but its part of the Metroplex so I left that off)

Not saying NBA would be a no-brainer, but I think some professional sport could do well there.

If one or two teams would be added in the west do you guys think that MN and Memphis should be slid into the east?

Minnesota??? How about New Orleans?

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

If one or two teams would be added in the west do you guys think that MN and Memphis should be slid into the east?

If two teams get added to the West, I think that the Timberwolves should be the only ones moving to the East.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

If two teams get added to the West, I think that the Timberwolves should be the only ones moving to the East.

It does make more sense. New Orleans makes more sense on a map, but Minnesota is closer to the entire Central division than it is to any other Western Conference team. Travel-wise, Minnesota makes more sense than even Memphis to go East.

Closest Western Conference team to Minneapolis= OKC= 788 mi.

to Milwaukee= 337 mi

to Chicago= 409 mi

to Indianapolis= 592 mi

to Detroit= 694 mi

to Cleveland= 750 mi

sig.png

I don't think St. Louis would work, too close to Memphis.

Seattle should definitely be the first city to get a NBA team. Other cities I think could work: Birmingham, Pittsburgh, or possibly Kansas City.

Meanwhile Birmingham is even closer to Atlanta and the BJCC Arena essentially has no premium seating.

I don't think St. Louis would work, too close to Memphis.

Seattle should definitely be the first city to get a NBA team. Other cities I think could work: Birmingham, Pittsburgh, or possibly Kansas City.

Pittsburgh isn't a pro hoops market. And, I don't see it having more than three major teams like it has now.

As for KC, I could maybe see them having one eventually.

Archived